Must have made a profit?

Ambitious

I thought Nigel said we were looking for a central midfielder to cover the Hendrick injury and not a central defender.

If we can get cover in midfield (despite having at least 5 central midfielders on the books plus others who can fill in) why can that cover not be at the back? Why should I chalk that up to penny punching board and not the manager? If we signed a CB, even on loan, then I'd say that was a fairly decent transfer haul for a summer and for someone who is in his 5th year at a club. How many players would you have us sign? How much of an overhaul does this squad need? And if it does need one then who built this squad?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are 2 things that Clough said recently that struck me.Following Burnley he was asked about possible incomings and said that there might be a possible loan when the emergency window opens,but was very quick to point out that we still needed to shift a couple.This seems to indicate to me that he's restricted to a loan signing whose wages must be matched by outgoing savings.

The thing that really intrigued me was his comment about Will,that no interest so far was a good sign.Now if we aren't going to sell Will without the fee being too good to refuse (big enough to significantly strengthen),then surely we should welcome interest,otherwise we should simply say not for sale,whatever.It does fuel the suspicion that Nigel feels he wouldn't get enough of the funds (if it happened).

I think you spend too much time listening to interviews which are done 2 minutes after a match, where the speaker is given no time to think about the answers, and try and create a story that isn't there.

I think Nigel and the board are aware what the reaction of the fans would have been had they shifted Hughes and not had numerous replacements lined up. Also they are most likely aware of how the fans would feel if they actively go in the media trying to shift our star player. After all every time Clough praises a Hughes performance he is accused of 'putting him in the shop window' etc

Regardless of what your investigations 'indicate to you' hasn't Clough already said we are looking for a replacement for Jeff?

maybe the board over-estimated the level of positive reaction to "exciting" signings like Russell and Grant, expecting full houses and more season ticket sales.

As I said in another thread though, certain fans I know have committed to stay away (not line the yanks pockets!) until they see a true show of intent and these 'exciting' signings only go half-way to being ambitious.

Nobody in their right mind thinks that Nigel is capable of getting this squad to finish in the top 6, maybe another manager could, but maybe another manager could relegate us, but certainly Nigel won't succeed.

With this realisation, by the board, that they won't be selling out any time soon, the spending has been halted, as it was a couple of seasons ago, sadly, like then, Clough has spunked the budget on the least needed areas for strengthening.

Did anyone really expect anything else?

Really?

Come on, they've been doing this for 5 years now, why would this summer have been any different.

It amazes me that people keep falling for it.

because the club had a new mouthpiece in Sam Rush, and like anyone new into a job, he should be judged on his own performance and not on his predecessor's performance.

He's been given the benefit of the doubt, and rightly so. I doubt however, he'll be afforded the same good-will next time he pipes up with his "exciting times" nonsense.

I think you spend too much time listening to interviews which are done 2 minutes after a match, where the speaker is given no time to think about the answers, and try and create a story that isn't there.

I think Nigel and the board are aware what the reaction of the fans would have been had they shifted Hughes and not had numerous replacements lined up. Also they are most likely aware of how the fans would feel if they actively go in the media trying to shift our star player. After all every time Clough praises a Hughes performance he is accused of 'putting him in the shop window' etc

Regardless of what your investigations 'indicate to you' hasn't Clough already said we are looking for a replacement for Jeff?

Only one was done 2 minutes after the match,and he should hardly need time to think about whether he might dip into the loan market.The fact that he fairly quickly pointed out that a couple still needed shifting is where the 'indicate to me' came from.I may be wrong,but I think Clough only said he was considering looking for a replacement for Jeff,and even if he was that might have been contingent upon shifting others.

For the second reply running,I think you spend too much time trying to make smart comments rather than read what was actually posted.

because the club had a new mouthpiece in Sam Rush, and like anyone new into a job, he should be judged on his own performance and not on his predecessor's performance. He's been given the benefit of the doubt, and rightly so. I doubt however, he'll be afforded the same good-will next time he pipes up with his "exciting times" nonsense.

That's all he is though, a mouthpiece, nothing's actually changed has it?

Still the same poor manager with an amateur back room staff backed by a poor board.

It amazes me that so many get suckered every time, that people actually thought that swapping an average goalie for a slightly less average goalie and buying an unknown Scottish forward would change anything.

That's all he is though, a mouthpiece, nothing's actually changed has it?

Still the same poor manager with an amateur back room staff backed by a poor board.

It amazes me that so many get suckered every time, that people actually thought that swapping an average goalie for a slightly less average goalie and buying an unknown Scottish forward would change anything.

I think the track record of the board members may point to them being a bit above average.

If players like Martin, Grant and Russell are not seen as the sort of players we would expect to improve a mid table Championship team I can only assume you are expecting us to go raiding Premier League teams.

I have not seen too many signings in our division that I thought were head and shoulders above anything we have signed recently.

He's been given the benefit of the doubt, and rightly so. I doubt however, he'll be afforded the same good-will next time he pipes up with his "exciting times" nonsense.

But thats his job though, to try and sell the dream to unsuspecting punters, to try and make a mediocre product seemingly more attractive to get people to part with their wedge I wouldnt expect him to do any different. Ultimately gate receipts and season ticket sales will be the proof of whether Russel, Grant et al are exciting signings not Sam Rush

I think the track record of the board members may point to them being a bit above average.If players like Martin, Grant and Russell are not seen as the sort of players we would expect to improve a mid table Championship team I can only assume you are expecting us to go raiding Premier League teams.I have not seen too many signings in our division that I thought were head and shoulders above anything we have signed recently.

By board members do you mean GSE or the owners?

If you mean GSE then they hadn't done anything of note previously and have done nothing while they've been here.

GSE get their management fees regardless, so why would they rock the boat, all they're interested in is keeping the equilibrium.

If you mean the investors, then yes the main ones are very successful businessmen but their interest in making Derby successful is questionable, and the way the finance is structured makes it highly unlikely.

I think the track record of the board members may point to them being a bit above average.

If players like Martin, Grant and Russell are not seen as the sort of players we would expect to improve a mid table Championship team I can only assume you are expecting us to go raiding Premier League teams.

I have not seen too many signings in our division that I thought were head and shoulders above anything we have signed recently.

Disagree the signings have been pretty woeful...We had a chance to sign a striker of proven quality in Vaughn, yet chose to go for yet another lucky dip SPL player in Russell....This for me summed up our board, that the mighty Hudderfield managed to sign a quality striker while we continued to fish around in the "he might possibly work out raffle"....

I do agree that Grant is a good signing, the only one in in my opinion,(although I except Martin has done well so far), but for me Vaughn should of been as our number one, get him at all costs summer signing..with a quality centre back as a close second priority....

Russell was a huge gamble (and according to a mate of mine is finding the step up a big difference)i think everyone thought with his record he would fire us up the league ,however the same said mate !!! says he is training hard and upping his fitness and in another 2 months we will see a dif player,i know it all mates stuff and will be poo pooed but lets wait and see.

Disagree the signings have been pretty woeful...We had a chance to sign a striker of proven quality in Vaughn, yet chose to go for yet another lucky dip SPL player in Russell....This for me summed up our board, that the mighty Hudderfield managed to sign a quality striker while we continued to fish around in the "he might possibly work out raffle"....

I do agree that Grant is a good signing, the only one in in my opinion,(although I except Martin has done well so far), but for me Vaughn should of been as our number one, get him at all costs summer signing..with a quality centre back as a close second priority....

Vaughan? Proven? Really?

The same proven Vaughan that was here a couple of years back? Seem to remember him being a massive hit with the fans back then! And how do you know we had a chance to sign him? I imagine Huddersfield was always his preferred destination.

To blame that on the board when they have gone out and secured the managers stated number one target is just ludicrous!

Vaughan? Proven? Really?

Yes I feel at this level he is off the right quality...the Vaughn that joined us was a player plagued by injuries...

Over the past couple off seasons he seems to have over come his injuries, & scored 13 in 30 last season, this season he's continued in the same vain of form if not better...

The guy is a big powerful unit with a eye for goal, who has taken a step down...Russell in my opinion has taken two steps up in the level off play he is used to...whether he can adapt is still to be proven one way or another, but I do know who I would off preferred to sign...

Thats just my opinion though...

The only worries about Russell are statistical and even then 2/5 isn't exactly horrible - could have been more, a lot more agreed but that's down to his own good work.

I've watched every minute in a Derby shirt so far, ability is there - and therefore, no worries what so ever. 

My only worry is Forsyth.

I'm finding it difficult to get to excited about a player who has only managed 13 and 9 league goals in the Scottish Premier league in the past two seasons. Its hardly prolific in a league where you are playing the Ross County and Inverness Caledonian 4 times a season!

Archived