Motson tops list of fans' favourite sports commentators and pundits of all time... but does Savage really belong in the top 10?

Day

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guardian Football Weekly is where it's at. James Richardson should be hosting motd.

Great shout. Richardson is genuinely the wittiest man in football (bit like Lineker before his spiel became a series of smug puns) and it's great to have pundits who are funny and likeable without being arrogant or over-opinionated.

Off to listen to it now!

I actually quite liked Lee Dixon as a football pundit on motd. Not as smug as the others and knew his stuff.

Logan and Balding are far superior presenters than Linekar and Chiles in my opinion. I'd like to see Gabby hosting motd, she'd do an excellent job and not get involved in any of the smug arse licking that the others do.

I dont think football is especially blessed with commentators and pundits tbh, cricket, tennis, rugby, athletics etc. Have much more talented people but the masses like football so there's far more of them than anyone else!

Cricket has by far the best commentators and ITV football has by far the worst ones and of those Andy Townsend is the nadir.

Hansen, Dixon and Lineker aren't bad but have maybe been on too long. Hansen recognises this. I agree Logan is good and James Richardson would be excellent, but could he be the same on mainstream tv? same with Collymore?

Cricket has by far the best commentators and ITV football has by far the worst ones and of those Andy Townsend is the nadir.

Hansen, Dixon and Lineker aren't bad but have maybe been on too long. Hansen recognises this. I agree Logan is good and James Richardson would be excellent, but could he be the same on mainstream tv? same with Collymore?

Maybe motd could move towards a goals on sunday format with gaby and jimbo presenting. Different guests each week, one interesting ex-player and one knowledgable proper journo.

Archived