Motson tops list of fans' favourite sports commentators and pundits of all time... but does Savage really belong in the top 10?

David

I think Collymore is ace on talksport. Listening to his punditry on Liverpool Villa match other day he is streets ahead of anyone. It's pretty difficult to disagree with most of his opinions too. He also says things that no one else seems to do, such as really criticising cheats/divers regardless of who they are. If you haven't heard him then try and forget what you may think of him already.

Most the mainstream bbc footbsll people are rubbish, but there are some good ones like Nevin. Gaby Logan is much better presenter than Linekar too.

Guardian Football Weekly is where it's at. James Richardson should be hosting motd.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely the worst commentator has to be Alan Parry?

He talks utter ball cocks and he can't describe any piece of play by a big club with a ridiculously inappropriate superlative. Magnificent ball by Rooney! No Alan, it was a 10 yard pass that I would expect from any professional footballer.

The problem with football punditry is that football is essentially a simple game and those who indulge in it have to surround the whole thing with a mystique that is entirely false. The alleged analysis that takes place consists largely of negativity and criticism by men who never grew up. Men who are essentially unemployable in any other sphere.

It is entirely self-aggrandising in a way that they couldn't get away with anywhere else. Where else could people like Alan Shearer or Mark Lawrenson continue to show such levels of competence and continue to be employed?

Michael Owen is depressing :( he's a cliche machine. It's like when someone's telling you a boring story that doesn't appear to have an end, but you're too polite, so you stand there nodding and smiling, but you're not even listening, your brain power is trying to think of an acceptable excuse to leave.

I think Collymore is ace on talksport. Listening to his punditry on Liverpool Villa match other day he is streets ahead of anyone. It's pretty difficult to disagree with most of his opinions too. He also says things that no one else seems to do, such as really criticising cheats/divers regardless of who they are. If you haven't heard him then try and forget what you may think of him already.

Most the mainstream bbc footbsll people are rubbish, but there are some good ones like Nevin. Gaby Logan is much better presenter than Linekar too.

Guardian Football Weekly is where it's at. James Richardson should be hosting motd.

Collymore's a bright bloke & articulate at times but he lost my respect when he proposed that the Premiership should be a closed shop only open to teams from big cities with large average attendances. I think he seriously suggested promoting Leeds (in League One at the time) & relegating Wigan.

Good shout re James Richardson - big fan of his since the Football Italia days.

I have no idea what he's called but whoever spoke the following -

"Here's Callaghan. Confronted by Dixon, who's left him with a bit of space. And he might yet pay for that! Here's Gee! SCREAMER!!!"

Is a funking genius!!!

If you have no idea what I'm going on about, you have my sympathies...

Can still see that goal now.

Was stood right behind the goal on my milk crate in the key club!

Archived