Derby County v Brentford

Alph

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate cup games, I still can't forget the Crewe match.

But, I know, different team and all that..so I'm going for a cautious 1-0, but Brentford make us work for it.

Brentford have injury problems and will be bringing a weakened team. I would go:

Leggy

Smith    Gjokaj   Keogh    Hoganson

Bennett  Coutts   Eustace   Jacobs

Sammon    Russell

Bench: Deeney (GK), Freeman, Hughes, Davies, Bryson, Martin, Ward

Give the squad players a game, protect Buxton, and have a strong bench if we do need to change the game.

I'd rest Hughes, try and prevent him burning out like he did last season, and maybe bring in 1 or 2 who haven't had much game time but are on the periphery of the first team.

Grant

Freeman Keogh Buxton Forsyth

B.Davies Coutts Bryson Jacobs

Russell Martin

Bench: Legzdins, Smith, Ward, Sammon, Bennett, Eustace, Gjokaj

This is a really important game in my opinion, win it with a bit of style and get a big home draw and we'll be buzzing.

Whoever we bring in, with all due respect to the opponents, we should still be good enough to beat Brentford but personally I'd prefer us to stay full strength, I don't see any point in resting Russell or Martin at the moment as they really look like they're hitting it off.

Wardy looked sharp and sounds like he's gagging to play

Martin especially, is on fire and will see this game as an opportunity to get a goal or dare I say 2?

Russell looked much stronger as well, should we rest him now or let him carry on building up fitness levels, let him get another goal as well, it will do him wonders.

Let Jeffs leg heal, bring Coutts or Eustace into the middle and leave the rest the same.

We need to build some kind of winning mentality, especially with bloody Burnley coming up at the weekend. It's a season where we're going to need to break some bogies.

We've got to show we're good enough to win games in patches of 4 and 5, we've got to get to the break unbeaten. If we do that this set of lads will really start to believe we're capable of getting into and then staying top 6. 

The lads have got to start to start handling games and occasions where we're expected to win. Too many times these last 6 months or so we've not been able to capitalise on our chances of putting real pressure on the play off pack.

I know it's a cup game but I'd pick my strongest 11 and look to really get at them. Professional, ruthless and dominant home performance, that's what I'm after.

Cloughie has said he'll look to get some fresh legs in, but the point about it being an important game to win stands.

Not sure about dropping Freeman, although Smith will be chomping for a start. I reckon Ward will be left out, Hendrick will get the time to rest his foot, and I'd be surprised if Sammon doesn't get a run. Surely give Hughesy a rest?

Grant

Smith Keogh Buxton Forsyth

Coutts Eustace Bryson

Russell Sammon Jacobs

Should be plenty, although you never know with lower league teams. 3-1 Derby.

Archived