Are Newspapers Dying Out?

Day

The Sun have today started charging to access articles on their website, The Times have been charging for a while now.

Would anybody subscribe to a newspaper website knowing that you can get the main news on sites like BBC and Sky News?

The Mirror offers its papers for free on the IPad Mon-Fri, you can also subscribe to most newspapers now on all tablet devices. I download the Mirror every few days but I'm reading news that I read yesterday and end up swiping through the pages looking at pictures whilst on toilet.

With social media and 24hr news channels is there really a place for newspapers anymore in this digital world?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newspapers are really dying... it's old news at the end of the day, and the journalism isn't really any better than you can get online. I think there's still place for some of the new "compact" newspapers where everything is quick and to the point. You can scour twitter for a moment and find out all the news you need... often with links to any news medium you want. So I would never pay.

Probably due a major contraction over the next few years.

I'll be loyal right to the end. I don't like reading on an electronic screen. As a big reader I couldn't think of a more unwanted present for me than a Kindle.

Never knew there was a Mirror app which was free, cheers!

But yeah I agree, The Sun are crafty sods for the whole Sun + thing, you shouldn't have to pay on the net to read a news article.

Glad in a way, the Sun only seem to post garbage about Helen Flanagan, Kardashians, Royals and Jimmy bleeding Saville.

I can confirm they are, I've been in the newspaper game for 4 years now and I'm taking much less out of the print than when I first started. 

Despite having one of the newest and most modern print sites in the country, I predict either the Daily Express or the Daily Star will be the first to go under.

I can confirm they are, I've been in the newspaper game for 4 years now and I'm taking much less out of the print than when I first started.

Despite having one of the newest and most modern print sites in the country, I predict either the Daily Express or the Daily Star will be the first to go under.

I spend a lot of time calling Newspapers all the names under the sky and now you tell us you're in that industry!?!

This is awkward.

Erm. Sorry?

Yes, full stop. I took a degree in Journalism and I've always been told that the money's not in newspapers anymore.

In fact, some would say journalism as a whole is dying out. There's too many people on the internet willing to give news and provide reviews for free (on their blogs, vlogs, whatever). Even radio is in decline.

I chose the wrong career path :lol:

I spend a lot of time calling Newspapers all the names under the sky and now you tell us you're in that industry!?!

This is awkward.

Erm. Sorry?

Haha, you want to hear what I call them when one of the titles go down and I've got an easy night scheduled and end up going down  to Plymouth or the like so please, carry on calling them what you like. 

But by definition, they are not newspapers anymore, by the time they hit the shops, the news is old hat, what with rolling news channels and the internet. 

They are just an outlet for opinion in my view, there's more columnists spouting their agenda than actual news in most of them.

I'm not paying for no news, BBC news is free, when they start charging I'll tune in and watch Hugh Edwards do that funny curl with his lip, or marvel at Sophie Raworth who can yak for England without even moving her lips. Astonishing.

And anyway, it's only ever bad news.

They are just an outlet for opinion in my view, there's more columnists spouting their agenda than actual news in most of them.

Exactly my opinion. They seek to manipulate public opinion rather than report on anything of substance. Its nauseating the power they appear to have over some of the more impressionable folk in this country.

Of course there is some serious journalism out there - for instance I detest the Guardian but I like how they provide Wikileaks with a platform for their "discoveries"

Archived