Most valuable player

Boss

How can Russell be our most important player. He hasn't even kicked a ball yet.

There's every chance he'll turn out to be a total flop. 

My wife could probably score goals in the non league that is Scottish football. 

I hope he does turn out to be an inspired signing but if the guy was as good as everyone claims, then why were we able to pick him up for so little and why did Celtic show no interest when he was offered to them on a plate?

As it stands, I would still make Martin and Sammon our top 2 and hopefully Russell force his way into the 11.

Phew, a voice of reason

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a good goalkeeper is the solution to many problems we had last season.

With Grant standing at 6 foot 4 he'll have an overall reach of near enough 6 inches on Fielding without jumping so will be much more handy when it comes to crosses.

Also his extra years experience is also another feather to his bow (as Clough would say)

No one will ever replace this bloke though....

maxresdefault

With Grant standing at 6 foot 4 he'll have an overall reach of near enough 6 inches on Fielding without jumping

4 inches... Assuming your maths is; 3 inches taller therefore wingspan being equal to height you add that as well for reach? But actually you'll only get HALF the extra from wingspan because the 3 inches is split across each arm... therefore when reaching up you get half on each arm... Also probably lose some from the shoulder distance...

4 inches... Assuming your maths is; 3 inches taller therefore wingspan being equal to height you add that as well for reach? But actually you'll only get HALF the extra from wingspan because the 3 inches is split across each arm... therefore when reaching up you get half on each arm... Also probably lose some from the shoulder distance...

Ahh yes, my bad!

Apologies.

Of the new signings I think Grant will have the biggest impact on points. It's almost impossible to tell how it will go for Russell but I'm not expecting the lad to play every game or score a sack full of goals in the hope that I'm pleasantly surprised. I think he might get 10 with the 3 other main strikers getting similar totals.

Shabash - I don't agree with you regarding Coutts, I'm really not sure where people's opinion of Coutts has dropped so dramatically, over the course of the season he was one of our best and most productive players, his dip in form coincided with the team's dip in form, so perhaps that goes to show his value. I see him being about the same standard as Bryson, Hendrick and Keogh in all honesty. He'll have an important part to play next season but might not start every game but I don't see many players starting every game - Keogh, Brayford & Grant are the most likely to rack up the most appearences.

Overall, I think next season Hughes will be the most valuable player to the way we play, I'd like to see him rested from time to time, we have enough in CM to be able to cope without him in the odd game but I think he'll be integral to us next season. I'd like to see him playing a bit more of an advanced role, where he can pick out the final ball for the likes of Ward, Sammon and Russell.

Lets assume all the players below have a great season (also assume all in contract etc)....

Sammon £1.5m

Martin £1.7m

Brayford £2m

Hendrick £3m

Hughes £5m

Buxton £priceless

Really, you think Martin could be that good?

I also think if Hughes has a good season we would be looking at nearer £10m

If Martin can get fit and show the form he has previously for Norwich then he'd be worth that, I agree with the above, Hughes just for the potential is already valued more than any other player in our squad. Worth for me would be Hendrick/Bryson or either Sammon/Keogh

Yeah but Frank used to slouch and is round shouldered. So in reality he actually was the equivalent of a 5' 3" goalie.

Of the new signings I think Grant will have the biggest impact on points. It's almost impossible to tell how it will go for Russell but I'm not expecting the lad to play every game or score a sack full of goals in the hope that I'm pleasantly surprised. I think he might get 10 with the 3 other main strikers getting similar totals.

Shabash - I don't agree with you regarding Coutts, I'm really not sure where people's opinion of Coutts has dropped so dramatically, over the course of the season he was one of our best and most productive players, his dip in form coincided with the team's dip in form, so perhaps that goes to show his value. I see him being about the same standard as Bryson, Hendrick and Keogh in all honesty. He'll have an important part to play next season but might not start every game but I don't see many players starting every game - Keogh, Brayford & Grant are the most likely to rack up the most appearences.

Overall, I think next season Hughes will be the most valuable player to the way we play, I'd like to see him rested from time to time, we have enough in CM to be able to cope without him in the odd game but I think he'll be integral to us next season. I'd like to see him playing a bit more of an advanced role, where he can pick out the final ball for the likes of Ward, Sammon and Russell.

On the Coutts position it's obvious many fans are frustrated.

He can't cross in the air; he had 9 assists last season 2 were in the air the rest were drilled along the floor. Not necessarily saying that's a bad thing but just Sammon never gets a chance to even try a headed attempt at goal.

He can't beat a man. You look at players like Burke, they aren't quick players but unlike Coutts they have a little change of pace that can fool defenders and give a yard to make a pass or cross.

He relies heavily upon Brayford

He gets tired at 70 minutes every game

He doesn't get back to defend

When he picks the ball up with space he runs at opposition then stops and turns sideways, no penetration.

I'm not saying these are bad things they could actually help out the team I don't know enough tactically as to what derby are trying to do on the pitch and what they work on in training. But these things here are what irritate fans about Coutts.

On the Coutts position it's obvious many fans are frustrated. - On the Coutts position it's obvious why many fans really like him.

He can't cross in the air; he had 9 assists last season 2 were in the air the rest were drilled along the floor. Not necessarily saying that's a bad thing but just Sammon never gets a chance to even try a headed attempt at goal. - He doesn't cross in the air, especially when we've got runners galore attacking the 6 yard box and the penalty area waiting for a drilled ball. He's clever enough to really fizz it in. Let them attack it.

He can't beat a man. You look at players like Burke, they aren't quick players but unlike Coutts they have a little change of pace that can fool defenders and give a yard to make a pass or cross. - he does beat men, the Watford goal is just one that spring to mind, he's deceptively fast or he's deceptively tricky, he can get out of tight spots by playing his way through bodies. He's confident with the ball at his feet.

He relies heavily upon Brayford - he compliments brayford MASSIVELY

He gets tired at 70 minutes every game - he's played in 46 out of our 47 games last year and he's always willing to put a shift in.

He doesn't get back to defend - He can't tackle but he works up and down more than most right wingers (who prefer to play in central midfield)

When he picks the ball up with space he runs at opposition then stops and turns sideways, no penetration. - When he plays the one two into space and the little give and goes with Brayford there is no left side in the league that can stop them. The short throw ins and the space they create for each other is a joy to wacth. They trust each other with the ball and have developed a brilliant understanding going forward.

I'm not saying these are bad things they could actually help out the team I don't know enough tactically as to what derby are trying to do on the pitch and what they work on in training. But these things here are what irritate fans about Coutts. - I'm not saying these are good things as I don't know enough tactically to judge what thye're trying to do, but these things are what make some fans love Coutts to bits.

BUT FOR GODS SAKE COUTTS'Y

Shoot a little more often please. Other than that. Carry on!

I added some balance Shabs, hope you don't mind!!

Couttsy for Scotland.

Tra la, la, la la.

On the Coutts position it's obvious many fans are frustrated.

He can't cross in the air; he had 9 assists last season 2 were in the air the rest were drilled along the floor. Not necessarily saying that's a bad thing but just Sammon never gets a chance to even try a headed attempt at goal.

He can't beat a man. You look at players like Burke, they aren't quick players but unlike Coutts they have a little change of pace that can fool defenders and give a yard to make a pass or cross.

He relies heavily upon Brayford

He gets tired at 70 minutes every game

He doesn't get back to defend

When he picks the ball up with space he runs at opposition then stops and turns sideways, no penetration.

I'm not saying these are bad things they could actually help out the team I don't know enough tactically as to what derby are trying to do on the pitch and what they work on in training. But these things here are what irritate fans about Coutts.

We might have to agree to disagree shabash old boy.

I take your points although i have to say i'm not sure they all stand up to scrutiny. i think ronnie has put across the other side of the coin rather well.

I would add that in the second half of the season coutts stood out a bit more than others because he doesn't hide from trying to make things happen. He got a bit isolated without brayford overlapping and drifted inside to try and get more involved. He should have been given a rest when his form dipped a little.

That doesnt make him a bad player or a weak link. If we play 4-4-2 he'll be first choice right-mid for sure and he'll do an excellent job again.

I think if we do play 4-3-3 next season coutts will be the no.1 replacement for the centre-mid 3 but i'd expect him to take his chance when it comes and prove he's a quality player.

Archived