More substitutions

sage

I was listening to a NC interview on RamsPlayer saying how he wants to bring players in to improve the team and the bench, He suggested that as well as rotating the first XI more, he also thought having experienced players on the bench will let him make more substitutions.

This has been an issue which even Clough supporters get frustrated by, so do you think Clough will use subs more this season?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subs are my main gripe with him and i do think we could have used the bench more to try to change things up. For me jacobs, bennett and davies were all well under used this year as they at least offer something different. I hope he uses his bench a bit more next year to try to change the momentum.

Still what the chuff do i know? I'm basing my tactical knowlege on FM 2008...

I think the problem is that, a lot of people see a substitution  as only a good thing, a positive movement.

I would argue a sub is equally just as likely to win you the game, as it is to lose you one.

If I player is running out, against tired legs and can get on top of his man then fair enough - but, people often forget players that come on and their touch hasn't been right and they've just sank into the backdrop. 

You can tell if a sub is going to be successful or not by his first touch, they don't usually get long - and to turn a bad game into a good game, you need a fair bit of time to get going (just my opinion) 

As long as Deeney never has to be used, being more creative with subs can't do any harm when we struggle in matches. There were plenty of games where he left subs too late, mind you he used Ben Davies pretty well from the bench in the 2nd half of last season.

I think the problem is that, a lot of people see a substitution  as only a good thing, a positive movement.

I would argue a sub is equally just as likely to win you the game, as it is to lose you one.

If I player is running out, against tired legs and can get on top of his man then fair enough - but, people often forget players that come on and their touch hasn't been right and they've just sank into the backdrop. 

You can tell if a sub is going to be successful or not by his first touch, they don't usually get long - and to turn a bad game into a good game, you need a fair bit of time to get going (just my opinion) 

Yes - Jacobs looked awful on a couple of occasions last season when he came on as sub. He, in particular, needs to make his mark early next campaign. I share the concerns of others around Clough's habit of 'clinging on' when we get a lead. In some games we were dominant, only to cede the supremacy by sitting back. We can be more ruthless.

Ben Davies could've been used a whole lot more last season, to alleviate pressure on Coutts. Gjokal, Freeman and Hoganson could've been exposed a bit more so they were more prepared when they were thrown in due to injuries.

Archived