Who was at fault really !

Curtains

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone really, as soon as mid-september hit, the problems started to role in. I think something like that cannot be explained and pointed at one person.

Before the season started, Billy Davies already had his excuses ready - this set out a bad precedent for the club, gave out the wrong image and it was always going to be difficult to attract players. He was also a bad liar, or I don't know what quite happened - I asked him point blank after a game pretty early on 'is nugent going to sign for us' and he said 'yeah, he'll be a derby player within the week' we also had the debacle with Kenwyne Jones and a lot of other players. In the end we was left with less than sufficient signings, and in hindsight that team on paper was awful - it was never going to work. I mean how many players in that team improved, or even still play football anymore? it was an aging squad on top of lack of quality. I mean last season two players of our starting 11 were plying their trade in league two! 

The season started badly, but not  record breaking - in some games we were deeply unlucky especially early on. We more than matched Portsmouth and Man City in our first two games, but I think the drumming at Tottenham was the first nail in said coffin, and confidence and performance levels dropped incredibly. Mid-September came and the writing was on the wall, unfortunately - Billy Davies engineered his own exit, where he could say he 'tried his best' but unfortunately anyone connected with the club knew what game he was playing, being relegated in such poor conditions would ruin his good work done in the championship with both us and Preston. Paul Jewell came in and it was an incredible coup for the club at the time, especially with the state we was in. He came in with an incredible poor attitude, basically lamented all the players - which at the time I thought was a terrible decision on his part because the team was already despairingly lacking in confidence and he took any shred away from them. He made a number of poor signings in January, although to be fair thought Hossam Ghaly was a good signing and brought ability to the team - but everyone else was shocking, Robbie Savage will go down with Ravanelli in the history books. 

The board made a lot of noise and didn't deliver too - not one person can hold their head high from that season, apart from Mears, but he let himself down in the summer. 

Is that article written by a professional journalist? Some interesting uses of commas there.

But anyway, we're quick to forget how bad that season was.

It was the worst team.

Ever.

The worst team ever. Ever ever ever ever ever.

From when football started several years before Queen Victoria even hit her menopause, which survived the First World War, Second World War and the Cold War, a game which started before Winston Churchill had even left school and survives now over half a century since the emergence of the Beatles, which has seen the invention of TV, radio, motor cars, the internet, telephones and mobile phones.

Think of all the thousands, tens of thousands of professional footballers in the game since then. Our great great grandfathers, or even our great great great grandfathers, would have seen some pretty bad teams if they knew where to look.

And yet of all of those many, many thousands of footballers over three centuries, from the rule of Queen Victoria to the coalition government, and that Derby County side was the worst of the lot.

The absolute worst of the top flight lot.

That's not the sort of thing you bounce back from.

It still makes me angry. How could we be that woeful, and then Paul Jewell come in, spend millions, and make us even worse?!

I see it differently. Our results and points were bad, but there were at least 10 games where we weren't an embarrassment and deserved more than what we got. There are plenty of people defending the current team on the back of improved performances.

In that Prem season, I think the following games weren't too bad:-

Pompey H

Liverpool H

Chelsea H

Bolton H

Bolton A

Newcastle H

Newcastle A

Fulham A

Man City A

Fulham H

Man United H

The rest were an embarrassment.

I see it differently. Our results and points were bad, but there were at least 10 games where we weren't an embarrassment and deserved more than what we got. There are plenty of people defending the current team on the back of improved performances.

In that Prem season, I think the following games weren't too bad:-

Pompey H

Liverpool H

Chelsea H

Bolton H

Bolton A

Newcastle H

Newcastle A

Fulham A

Man City A

Fulham H

Man United H

The rest were an embarrassment.

Man City home was okay, as was blackburn at home... Birmingham at home and away and everton (two class goals from Jerome was the difference) in fact there wasn't too many BAD BAD games, still enough to make it funny. We just didn't get results!

I remember watching atti niemi have the game of his life at craven cottage. And the chance to go 2 up vs Blackburn but a pen was missed and we lost 2-1 (?)

There were a few very harsh results but there were times when we were absolute *****. However the blame can't be pinpointed on one person. Everyone was at fault for that shambles.

I remember watching atti niemi have the game of his life at craven cottage. And the chance to go 2 up vs Blackburn but a pen was missed and we lost 2-1 (?)

There were a few very harsh results but there were times when we were absolute *****. However the blame can't be pinpointed on one person. Everyone was at fault for that shambles.

Against Villa and West Ham particularly - both games, we were a joke! 

Davies carries a lot of the blame, the classic quote in the summer about being 6 weeks behind all the other teams immediately springs to mind, then paying ridiculous sums of money for sub standard players just compounded the issue. All Jewell did was confirm the inevitable, along with another ridiculous spending spree for good measure.

Gatsby's fault for lack of investment

Davies fault for signing Claude Davies

Davies fault for signing Robert Earnshaw

Davies fault for signing Kenny Miller

Paul Jewells fault for signing SAVAGE!

I would say Savage and Davies are the footballing antichrists,

Archived