Missing piece of the jigsaw?

Mostyn6

You all know my thoughts on Clough and his ability.

One of the things I've always been critical of Clough over is the fact that he's never shuffled his coaching staff around. Some would argue he doesn't need to, but my opinion is that we are lacking a few things, tactically, defensively and in attacking movement and finishing.

In the last few weeks, I've had a decent feeling about next season, and my instincts rarely let me down.

I just assumed that Clough would walk and we'd get a replacement in and then start I could start enjoying being a Derby County supporter again.

Some of the 'noises' made by Rush and also Clough in recent weeks seem more than just spin, I don't know why, but they just do.

So now I'm thinking, what would it take then to make us succeed and be a thoroughly competitive and entertaining football team? Well, perhaps the answer has just come by fluke.

As a result of Sir Alex Ferguson retiring, we may be in a position to poach the best assistant manager since Steve McClaren. If we've got ambition, and we're not penny pinching, I think we should bring Steve Round back to club.

It actually makes so much sense to me. I think I'd become an immediate believer if this happened.

What do you think?

Am I talking my usual 'nonsense' as you lot think? or Would this be the move to bring everything together?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think we'd be amazingly lucky to get Round back here. Not sure why he would take the step down and although Utd will keep a large part if their back room staff I can see him going with Moyes.

I don't know how good our coaches are, maybe they're amazing and it's down to the players (some of whom seem unable to take on simple instructions after a season worth of being told, that's worrying). Also find it worrying that our Gk's seem to go from confident ones who have good distribution to ones that seem to lack the self belief and resort to hoofing it up field. Not saying that's anything to do with Taylor but it is worrying.

Anyway back to point, doubt it will happen.

Erm, he'll go with Moyes won't he?

Thread closed.

Bully!

As it happens, the coaching staff have been ring-fenced. I think one or two coaches were leaving United of their own accord, but Phelan isn't. I cannot see Moyes being allowed to replace Phelan, Mulensteen or Steele just yet.

Bully!

As it happens, the coaching staff have been ring-fenced. I think one or two coaches were leaving United of their own accord, but Phelan isn't. I cannot see Moyes being allowed to replace Phelan, Mulensteen or Steele just yet.

If Moyes has agreed to manage United with his hands tied behind his back he is a very silly man.

Personally, I doubt he would have taken the job if he didn't have full control over his staff.

If Moyes has agreed to manage United with his hands tied behind his back he is a very silly man.

Personally, I doubt he would have taken the job if he didn't have full control over his staff.

But Clough agreed to and is not silly?

Clough was following Jewell - arguably the worst manager of the 21st century, not the greatest ever manager.

Clough was moving up several divisions to take a job at his home town club, which also happens to be the greatest club in the world. He had far more incentives to move than Moyes, who is really on a hiding to nothing.

Clough must have thought all of his Christmases had come early when he got offered the Derby job, it wasn't like he was going to barter for extra benefits and wait for the board to change their mind

Clough must have thought all of his Christmases had come early when he got offered the Derby job, it wasn't like he was going to barter for extra benefits and wait for the board to change their mind

Moyes must have thought all of his Christmases had come early when he got offered the Utd job, it wasn't like he was going to barter for extra benefits and wait for the board to change their mind

Moyes must have thought all of his Christmases had come early when he got offered the Utd job, it wasn't like he was going to barter for extra benefits and wait for the board to change their mind

Did someone else just say that, seems a very enlightened view whomever posted it :)

Clough would have been in charge of a League 2 club the following season anyway, with his stock sky-high. You don't think Burton would have limped over the finishing line if he had still been there, do you? He would have also established and progressed them a darned sight quicker than Paul Peschisolido did. 

One or two Christmases at once, but not necessarily all of them.

Archived