Ben Davies

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby have offered Ben Davies a new contract, with the midfielder's current deal due to expire in the summer.

Talks have begun to extend the 31-year-old's stay at Pride Park, with both the club and the player hopeful of reaching an agreement shortly.

"Ben has done really well when we've called on him this season," Rams boss Nigel Clough told the club's official website.

"We've said it before; he's a model professional with a fantastic attitude and someone for our young players to look up to. With that in mind, we've begun having a chat with Ben about keeping him around next season.

"He's a very important member of the squad and he's got the ability to make an impact whether he starts or comes off the bench, so hopefully we'll get something sorted soon."

Davies came off the bench to score his fifth goal of the season in Derby's 2-1 defeat to Blackpool on Saturday - his third goal in his last nine appearances.

Speaking after the Rams' final away fixture of the season at Bloomfield Road, Davies said: "My agent sat down with the club last week and they have offered me a deal.

"Hopefully, we can speak again this week and get things sorted out. I'm sure we can. I'd love to stay. I love it here - Derby is a massive club - and I'm settled in the area."

Davies joined Derby from Notts County in January 2011 and has made 74 appearances for Clough's team.

Slightly disappointed by this – he's a really good squad player, but if we're to build a team over the summer that will get us promoted then there is no way he will be starting games unless there is an injury crisis

He's a great utility player who you can rely on to put in 100% wherever he is asked to cover. Plus great delivery from set pieces and knows where the goal is. Just lacking the quality to make him first choice anywhere on the park

At 31 I was sort of expecting a contract extension would be a formality, because he'd be happy to just be playing out his career at a big club in the Championship. His only realistic alternative if he wants guaranteed starts is to drop down at least another division to a smaller club

A shame. This football management lark is difficult innit?

Here's a thought though – at the Flowerpot meeting Sam Rush made a point of explaining what all the promoted clubs have

2 strikers pushing 15-20 goals a season

A midfield that contribute a further 15-20 goals a season between them

A defence that chip in with around 10 goals a season between them

Which might explain why they keep moaning about (the almost ever-present) Coutts not scoring many but consistently mention (the occasionally gets a game) Benny's much better scoring record

I think Davies has been slightly unfairly treated this season. I don't mean victimised or anything, just that Clough should really have rotated his squad a lot more given the injuries Ward and Bryson have had all season, and Ben should have had more of a chance. Wouldn't mind him staying as a squad player, although whether he's good enough/likely to be in the starting line-up is open for debate.

I think Davies has been slightly unfairly treated this season. I don't mean victimised or anything, just that Clough should really have rotated his squad a lot more given the injuries Ward and Bryson have had all season, and Ben should have had more of a chance. Wouldn't mind him staying as a squad player, although whether he's good enough/likely to be in the starting line-up is open for debate.

I agree thought he was our best player against dirty Leeds then he was dropped. Also did well against Boro and was dropped after that too.

Maybe tho at 31 Clough thinks hes an impact player who can score goals and give us dead ball options.

Here's a thought though – at the Flowerpot meeting Sam Rush made a point of explaining what all the promoted clubs have

2 strikers pushing 15-20 goals a season

A midfield that contribute a further 15-20 goals a season between them

A defence that chip in with around 10 goals a season between them

Which might explain why they keep moaning about (the almost ever-present) Coutts not scoring many but consistently mention (the occasionally gets a game) Benny's much better scoring record

Hmmm so all we need now is 2 strikers who can score 15 goals plus between themselves and a midfielder who can weigh in with the same amount of goals, did Rush also say where we were going to get these players from by any chance?

Archived