Paul Coutts

PrivateDerby

I was flicking through Mens Health (as you do) when I come across this - 

"http://i39.tinypic.com/iokmtk" alt="iokmtk">

Yes it's our very own Paul Coutts promoting popeye powder. Now I know he's a good looking lad, which is probably why there are a lot of girls at Pride Park with Coutts and 7 shirts.

This got me thinking, after nearly a full season what are peoples thoughts on our midfielder? 

I personally like him, he was the first player since Commons left to take on defenders properly if at all. In fact when he first come it was strange seeing someone bomb forwards as much as he did. The partnership he formed with Brayford down the right has led to some good passing and great goals. He can put some brilliant low hard crosses in, sometimes I wish he would do that more. He certainly plays for the shirt but so do all of them.

I know he divides opinion, so what's yours?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great attitude. If there's not a pass on he'll hold onto it. He won't hoof and he won't get rid of it just so he isn't the one who loses it.

Sometimes he holds on to it too long looking for a better option.

At RM he doesn't seem to have the pace and flair required. That's why he links well with Brayford.

Without Brayford we become too narrow. There's no outlet and he struggles to make decisions.

I like him mostly for his attitude. Think he needs Brayford

I agree that he's nowhere near as good when he's out wide without Brayford but if we manage to keep Johnny and Coutts gets back to how he was first half of the season, would we still need a new RM? Is he the type of player that needs help around him to be on top of his game, not just Brayford? 

I think that it depends what we're really aiming for.

To me, Coutts is an average Championship midfielder - not brilliant, but not poor. If we are happy being in mid-table, then Coutts is fine as a starter. However, if we are really aiming for promotion, then Coutts should be a bench warmer.

Most creative player in the team, and shows in the stats - he plays for effect and has good ability, he could be playing much better because at the minute he often plays below his skillset, but, he has played a lot of games - so not surprised quality has wavered.

Upto December he was one of, if not our best player... January to March he was in a poor spell, a very poor spell - and last couple of games, he has showed a lot more.

I don't have time for anyone who par's him off as a poor player, he clearly isn't. He isn't the best winger in the division, and no he isn't a premier league standard winger but for me, he is a top half championship right midfielder and will on his day give any defender in this division a hard game.

He is no worse than Ward when Ward plays out on the wing, but Ward's a more direct player - I would like to see coutts implement a much more direct route into his game, sometimes cut inside and bomb forward into the box.

He is rightfully in our first team, and for me our midfield has been the cornerstone this season showing a lot of quality, and he has been a part of that. 

Most creative player in the team, and shows in the stats - he plays for effect and has good ability, he could be playing much better because at the minute he often plays below his skillset, but, he has played a lot of games - so not surprised quality has wavered.

Upto December he was one of, if not our best player... January to March he was in a poor spell, a very poor spell - and last couple of games, he has showed a lot more.

I don't have time for anyone who par's him off as a poor player, he clearly isn't. He isn't the best winger in the division, and no he isn't a premier league standard winger but for me, he is a top half championship right midfielder and will on his day give any defender in this division a hard game.

He is no worse than Ward when Ward plays out on the wing, but Ward's a more direct player - I would like to see coutts implement a much more direct route into his game, sometimes cut inside and bomb forward into the box.

He is rightfully in our first team, and for me our midfield has been the cornerstone this season showing a lot of quality, and he has been a part of that. 

Stats are clearly misleading if you think he's creative..

He's about as useful as Lee Croft at RW..

And a top half NPC RW? I doubt you'd find more than 3 other clubs in the NPC that would have him at RW

He must be worldclass when I haven't seen him to outweigh the rubbish he's put in when I have

That's another thing, he's been pretty much inj.... yeah it's nothing to shout about but it is for Derby! 

Actually, I've just seen what CornwallRams just put  :rolleyes:

I must have missed his good games and I have missed a fair few this season so my opinion probably isn't the most accurate.

Stats are clearly misleading if you think he's creative..

He's about as useful as Lee Croft at RW..

And a top half NPC RW? I doubt you'd find more than 3 other clubs in the NPC that would have him at RW

He must be worldclass when I haven't seen him to outweigh the rubbish he's put in when I have

1) acknowldge your opinion might be inaccurate, and cede that someone who's seen more may have a more accurate view

2) post in slightly over opinionated manner a response to someone who has probably seen more and may have a more accurate view, telling them that they're wrong.

How does that work then?  ;) 

Archived