Consistency

Hans

Consistency has been our greatest downfall this season, our failure to put together a string on winning games, particularly in mid season where we have also faltered in previous seasons under Clough, but however this has been our first season where we have flirted with the play offs, also our failure to best average teams below us in the table has cost us points which is frustrating, especially because of how tight the table is this year, if we had 65 points this season (last seasons total) we would be 7th!!! Games I'm talking about are:

Ipswich, Blackburn, Birmingham, Peterborough, Huddesfield.

There's 15 points right there that we should have won.

All we need next season is a good run of games and I'm sure we will be up there, we just need two or three decent signings, and a good run of games and next season we will be shooting up the table.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think performance wise, we've been fairly consistent - there hasn't been many games where I thought we have played badly, but, results wise have wavered otherwise! 

I think it's the same for most teams though, we had 4/5 good games where we couldn't buy a win, and then when we finally won it was easily our worst performance out the games we'd played and not won. 

I mean, the Ipswich game for example - one of the most ridiculous games of football I have seen... Not to mention the Wednesday games, it's a bizarre league. I think a touch of the Billy Davies years, where we were efficient and the chances we had we took (there wasn't many) and we'd of been so much better - a bit of experience and grit when needed, would of helped us a lot! 

Divide home form and away form and I'd say we've been pretty consistent.

Good at home.

Garbage away.

We also had a dip in home form in January/February.

No excuse for our away form, its far worse than last season, there must be something in the grass at pride park,

Consistency is our problem.

Signing experienced players will help this.

Then we should be able to perform against any team in the exact same manner not bottle it vs Blackburn before the game has begun when we were flying at home. That cup game was silly, they weren't that good but apparently Danny murphy was the difference between getting thrashed 3-0 and drawing 1-1 in the first game at home.

Experience will also help our consistency away from home too.

Anyone think Feilding isn't up to it?

I love Frank but I think Adam will be number one next season. On top of the slightly better distribution from Adam, If I judge performances this year, when Adam got his chance he took it with both hands. When Frank got his, he threw it away again with a mad rush.

Anyone think Feilding isn't up to it?

I think he is, IMO I feel safer with Frank in goal than Lego. He had a mistake on Saturday, as a goalkeeper I can tell you those situations are one hardest parts of being a keeper, in a split second you got to judge the pace of the ball, the spin of the ball, in some cases if the wind will take the ball away, where your defence are, and the pace of the striker, will you get there before him. Frank should of stayed on his line abit longer and tried to make himself big, if he set of early than he did (even thought there was hesitation) he would of been very close to the edge is his area.

Let's be honest - the state of the championship table tells us that nearly the problem for nearly 20 teams is consistency!

In some ways that's a good thing, as it's been a really entertaining and competitive season, what teams need to do is look not at themselves, but at Cardiff and Hull and ask "what have they done differently to us?" They've managed to rise above the crowd with the most consistency whilst most everyone else has been stuck in the mire

For me the main problem this season has been a simple one, headed goals. To fit in with the theme of the thread, consistently giving away soft goals via the medium of an opposition player's bonce.

Just think how many points have been thrown away by failure to stop crosses, slack marking and poor aerial strength in our own box. It's mainly been a problem in away games, so so many away games, but also punctuated the home defeats to Burnley and Hull.

We do need to turn more draws into wins with more clinical finishing (although our 73 in all competitions this season, over 53 in all competitions last season attempts to make a mockery of that point) but then you've got to do enough defensively to ensure you'd be on for a point in the first place!

The reason we've let in so many headed goals? Part lack of experience, part sheer lack of height and strength!  I do actually think that signing Forsyth, or a player like Forsyth, is a must.  Since he's been in the squad I think the only headed goal against us has been vs Blackburn (away), right? And that was down to Fielding's error.

The problem is (over the years) we seem to either have a squad who can defend and not attack, or a squad who can attack and not defend - we don't have the right players to change from one to the other, but hopefully next season we'll make the right signings to enable that.

Archived