FIFA 14

SuperSheep

Is it just me who's having a really hard time in regard to first time passes? My friend doesn't have internet connection so has had none of the patches, but it's happening all to often on there that I'm pressing buttons and the game's ignoring it.

If his striker is barrelling down on my centre-half the game seems to be 50/50 whether it's going to ignore my push of the pass button or not. It's infuriating. I let in 8 goals against him over a few matches, and 6 were due to the game ignoring clearances or passes.

I don't know if this was something they patched or not, but I bloody hope so. I can't stand to play it at the moment.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me who's having a really hard time in regard to first time passes? My friend doesn't have internet connection so has had none of the patches, but it's happening all to often on there that I'm pressing buttons and the game's ignoring it.

If his striker is barrelling down on my centre-half the game seems to be 50/50 whether it's going to ignore my push of the pass button or not. It's infuriating. I let in 8 goals against him over a few matches, and 6 were due to the game ignoring clearances or passes.

I don't know if this was something they patched or not, but I bloody hope so. I can't stand to play it at the moment.

You're playing it in 'Keogh mode'. Switch to 'Buxton'.

• 2 weeks later...

So what's everyone's verdict on this?

Managed to get a part-time job in a games shop (comes with a nice little discount) and I feel out of the loop having not bought a football game this year. Don't really enjoy FM so this seems to be the only option. Worth it for about 25 quid?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This year's version is absolute ga$h.

Although it's always been there, I don't think the scripting/rubber-banding has ever been as blatant as it is in this one.

The CPU can scyth you down without a foul being given, whilst you practically have to GBH its players to get the ball of them, which inevitably leads to FKs, and cards.

Also got to love the CPU's new ability to slalom from one end of the pitch to the other, performing pirouette, after pirouette - whoever thought that that would be a good idea needs shooting.

EA have gotten incredibly sloppy with Fifa over the past 2/3 years. The decline of PES hasn't helped, hence what everyone needs is proper competition. The 2k sports games are superb, I'd love them to turn their hand at a decent footy game.

Pro Evo is on the way back. Very slowly.

EA make great games when they have to. Once the franchise is big enough to sell just because of its name they must be the laziest people ever.

Like FIFA. Vanished for several years. A rubbish arcade game compared to ISS and the early Pro Evo's. then they make massive strides all of a sudden and in 2010 FIFA was like perfect. Now, FIFA 14 is FIFA 10 with a handful of fancy features that keep you interested for a month or two.

And so it shall be with every franchise they do.

It's just broken. Defending lofted through balls online is a joke. It doesn't keep your player locked on as you switch to him, leading to you just standing and looking at the ball going over your head. On top of that, the A button to press the ball doesn't work anymore, far too easy to get round it. And RB to make the computer do it is dreadful, the wrong man goes towards the ball and takes a dreadful angle at it - again, easy to get round it.

Such a bad game. I wish reviews would start to reflect it.

I played this at work on the Xbox One, thought it was terrible and the players seemed to have a mind of their own. The defending was so indecisive and frustrating. Apparently Pro Evo is on par this year. Kid at my work seemed to be blown away because the crowd looked more realistic therefore it was an awesome game... I couldn't give a ****. PES 4 and 5 still the kings for me.

Fifa got back on track with Euro 2008 and the following Fifa's through Fifa 10.

They started tinkering with 11, and made it slightly worse, then they fiddled with 12 and it was fooking horrible, then they messed again with 13 and made it worse, and then they've released this, this fooking mess of a game.

The 'not locking on' thing boils my p1ss - it's not just online, it does it offline as well when the CPU has goalkicks/freekicks - it just lofts them forward and you just sit there looking up at the ball as it sails away from you and straight to one of its players. It also fooks me off immensely that every fooking time the CPU gets a header away from a cross it goes straight into that zone where you have NO players and the CPU does, so it always picks up the loose balls.

Rather than genuinely layer the CPU AI, all's they do is make it so that when you increase the skill level, the CPU lets itself get away with more and more bullsh1t. That, is incredibly lazy.

The perfected Fifa with Fifa 10 - after that, they should stick with releasing annual rosters/kit updates. Of course that would never happen though as EA being the money-grabbers that they are are never going to pass up free money.

Seabass needs to step up PES, because that's been as big a shambles on the previous gen as Fifa's been since Fifa 10.

Does 14 have all those sliders?

Last year I played 13 for about a month and then left it for like 2 months. Then fancied playing again but got told to go onto a website and it gives you all slider settings for a better game.

It was like a new game and I played it every night for ages. Honestly it was entirely different. The pace, the AI, the movement, everything! Whoever went to all that trouble saved 13 for a lot of people because it wasn't great.

Maybe you chaps could do that with 14?

Tbh though, what I have played of 14 it seems beyond fixing. It is *****.

But to make the best of a bad job.

That only really works if you play offline though.

Yeah. I cba with FIFA online. It's an arcade game when you take it online. Like the old FIFA 95 used to have a sweet spot for scoring from the corner of the 18 yard box, there's always a certain way to play Fifa online. And it's not like any match I've ever seen on TV or otherwise

• 4 weeks later...

Archived