Einstein thinks people renewing ST's are insane

WilkoRam

Ok he doesn't, he's dead and if he wasn't he probably wouldn't care and if he did he probably wouldn't think they were (all) insane.

But he did say that insanity was doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result. After 4 seasons of this board/manager combo the seasons pan out with scary predictability from starting brightly to faultering and losing our playing style, criticism of individuals, new signings not getting a look in, last seasons signings out on loan and ultimately finishing somewhere in the middle. Yet a bunch of ST holders obviously think that it'll be different next season so they must be insane, right?

My old man won't be renewing this season and when I went up to watch the Ipswich game with him I couldn't blame him and said if I was in a position to get one then I wouldn't. I feel sad for him as he loved to go to the games but he's finding that he's coming away from games disappointed having experienced a boring game with little to enthuse about. He's not negative either, he's the opposite. The amount of times he's told me "it's the best I've seen then play" is amazing but they always come in the first few months of the season and are replaced with "they were rubbish, really poor"

I want a change in the variables for next season so there can be a different outcome, for my old man.

(My old man is my dad, it's not a euphemism)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's been said, the whole thing needs freshening up. We need a manager we can admire who makes us laugh and we would be star-struck if in his company, and we need players who will become iconic cult heroes.

We've not had a player like that (Theo doesn't count) since Seth Johnson and sadly, as much as I dislike the poisonous little twerp, Billy had some character about him.

I'm unconvinced about his managerial credentials, even though they were better than Clough's before he arrived, but I might have had my emotions stirred and my mind stimulated if Di Canio was employed here before Sunland took him.

I believe you are taking the quote out of context to a degree. Derby supporters are not conducting an experiment to prove something nor are they attempting to actively doing something which they believe will have a direct impact on the outcome.

People buy season tickets first and foremost not because we may or may not be chasing promotion but because they like going to watch the team they support play football and it brings them a level of joy. Perhaps not the brilliant joy which can be found in winnings cups and beating teams 7-0 but the attraction remains the same as it is for teams down in the 16th division.

Well I've renewed because I enjoy an afternoon out with my lads and mates, enjoy a pint, enjoy being around a live football match and the anticipation it brings, enjoy dissecting the game afterwards and (nearly) always look forward to the next match. Sure the results are up and down and of course we all want a better quality of player to hit the top six. But I just enjoy the afternoon out.

If that makes me insane, so be it.

I know it's out of context. I appreciate that but it just annoys me to see people getting so......out of love with the club.

Yes people buy season tickets because they want to see the club they love but they want to be entertained. No other games will grip you like a good game that your team is involved in. The feelings you get when your team is playing can't be matched. You can appreciate and be entertained by other games but you can't be gripped like games involving your own team. There does, however, have to be something happening to grip you.

I hope you're right Albert. Maybe we have not come to the conclusion of the experiment yet.

Hate attitudes like this. I understand that ST's are expensive but this is the club I love and nothing would ever stop me going to see them. We could be in the relegation zone of League 2 and I'd still be going and having a great time.

I certainly wouldn't stop going just because I didn't like the manager and we're not winning every game. You could call that being a "fairweather fan".

And before someone jumps down my throat, yes, I know they're expensive as I've already said. If you can't afford it, fair enough.

Ok I feel my opening passage was a bit hastily written. I don't mean to slag off season ticket holders I appreciate why people get one and go week after week. I would in all honesty possibly be doing the same. It's about going to the pub etc as well. I get it. I just don't see what will change or what we expect to change next season. DCFC is currently stuck on repeat

Wait, i thought we're improving? Slooooowwwwly but improving, heading in the right direction and other bullshit... or we not?

Oh, give it a rest. If the season had ended 3 games ago, yes, we would have improved as we were sitting in 9th.

But there's the Championship for you.

You think we're improving then Scott? You think this is better than the 09-10 season?

Hell no, we're not improving. I'm just saying, if you're doing it on league position, if the season had ended a couple of weeks ago, that would be an improvement technically.

For the record, I don't think we're far off, certainly not as far as some people think. I know this gets said every season but if we were to buy a good CB and a quality ST this off-season, I would genuinely fancy our chances at a play-off place. Might need a new manager too (dare I say it) :o

Edit - maybe a RM as well. Not as pressing as the other 2 positions though.

Ok he doesn't, he's dead and if he wasn't he probably wouldn't care and if he did he probably wouldn't think they were (all) insane.

But he did say that insanity was doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result. After 4 seasons of this board/manager combo the seasons pan out with scary predictability from starting brightly to faultering and losing our playing style, criticism of individuals, new signings not getting a look in, last seasons signings out on loan and ultimately finishing somewhere in the middle. Yet a bunch of ST holders obviously think that it'll be different next season so they must be insane, right?

My old man won't be renewing this season and when I went up to watch the Ipswich game with him I couldn't blame him and said if I was in a position to get one then I wouldn't. I feel sad for him as he loved to go to the games but he's finding that he's coming away from games disappointed having experienced a boring game with little to enthuse about. He's not negative either, he's the opposite. The amount of times he's told me "it's the best I've seen then play" is amazing but they always come in the first few months of the season and are replaced with "they were rubbish, really poor"

I want a change in the variables for next season so there can be a different outcome, for my old man.

(My old man is my dad, it's not a euphemism)

If all 13 or 14,000 had the same views as you what do you think would honestly happen?

How can you ever think the benefit of not renewing will be a stronger Derby County?

i'm not as clever as Einstein but even I know if you don't put your money in then the club has less money. If 1,000 of you do it then we're out of pocket by 1000 of you.

if you got your own way and all of us deluded, insane, gullible people suddenly agreed with you. how on gods green earth can that result in a stronger Derby?

An attractive proposition for that take over you crave so much? An attractive proposition for that new manager you crave so much?

I don't understand how you can push for change but at the same time walk away.

You think we're improving then Scott? You think this is better than the 09-10 season?

This is the best football we've played under Clough, IMO. So I think there's been an improvement.

I mentioned in another thread that it is slightly tedious at the moment - it's unfair to expect the players or the manager to acheive promotion without spending some money.

Every year I pray for something different in the Summer - a couple of million on a striker, buying one centre half without having to offload your current first choice - but until something different does come along, the playing staff and management staff are in an impossible position.

Patience for something has never happened before is borederline insane..

Waiting for NC to build together a team that can challenge for promotion in the football league is like waiting for a cat to grow wings..

Despite your analogies being wildly inaccurate (and borderline nonsensical) - they do make me laugh, Bris. :lol:

Archived