Possible minutes silence v Blackburn for Margaret Thatcher

North_Stand_Ram

Whilst everybody has a right to voice their opinion, I would hope that if it was to take place they just didn't go to their seat until after the silence.

But I suppose if it makes people feel better even though she is no longer with us, then each to their own.

We've just said the same. We'd have to stay on the concorse and give it a wide berth.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone at the club has any sense at all, they'll scrap the whole idea. It won't work, some - if not most fans from both sides will voice their discord, the media will fly into another frenzy (which is probably what they're waiting for) and then fans will get another bad name.

Hope it doesn't happen.

The silences should be saved for her funeral if they want one, not at matches, particulaly in the North, where feelings run too deep.

Don't know what the problem is. the Thatcher years, were good times...cruise missiles, being the unofficial 53rd state of America, greed is good, divide/starve communities into submission, non corrupt police forces, handsworth, brixton, toxteth, st pauls, beanfields of Salsbury, poll tax...magic... defo a minutes silence for me  :angry:

Some say its nicer for families now - well after Thatcher my kids cant afford to go to watch Derby - and I cant afford to take them.

im 17 dont really have a clue what Thatcher did.

All I know is she is a bit like Marmite some say she ruined the country and some say she made modern day England. It think it is just personal opinions. 

Some say its nicer for families now - well after Thatcher my kids cant afford to go to watch Derby - and I cant afford to take them.

How old are your kids?

Why should there be silence? Don't remember any for other political figures, to be honest thought it would a team like Reading or Watford would suggest this not Blackburn, doubt the locals will be happy either.

Mrs Thatcher was the biggest political figure since Churchill so there isnt a recent precedent. Even so I think a minutes silence before a football match would be wrong, partly as she was no football fan, and partly because there would be some who despise her still and would ruin it. As for Hillsborough, she supported the police, as you would expect a politician to do. Maybe she should have called them f**** plebs, oh no ..wait...

19-23

Hopefully they will get sorted soon, I remember when I was 18 and earning a whole 28 quid on a YTS, I spent all of that on match day though !

Mrs Thatcher was the biggest political figure since Churchill so there isnt a recent precedent. Even so I think a minutes silence before a football match would be wrong, partly as she was no football fan, and partly because there would be some who despise her still and would ruin it. As for Hillsborough, she supported the police, as you would expect a politician to do. Maybe she should have called them f**** plebs, oh no ..wait...

I agree she was the biggest political figure since Churchill and she restored the fortunes of a fast fading country. Nobody since has made close to the impact she did.

On that basis a minutes silence would be appropriate is the right thing to do. It may be another hundred years before such a major political figure passes away, not just in this country but abroad as well. That is not to say she did not get many things incredibly wrong as well.

As for Hillsborough did she support the Police? Certainly not after Lord Taylor's interim report in 1989, which laid the major blame squarely with the police. The fact is she made sure his findings got through parliament as quickly as possible and football grounds were transformed incredibly quickly.

If anyone at the club has any sense at all, they'll scrap the whole idea. It won't work, some - if not most fans from both sides will voice their discord, the media will fly into another frenzy (which is probably what they're waiting for) and then fans will get another bad name.

Hope it doesn't happen.

The silences should be saved for her funeral if they want one, not at matches, particulaly in the North, where feelings run too deep.

Doesn't anybody know about Clement Atlee?

He lost an election didn't he. Margaret Thatcher won 3, 2 with huge majorities. For all this perceived unpopularity she not only won the elections, she won the political war as well, based on what has happened since she left office.

Archived