The Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

sage

A host of Championship clubs are weighing up moves for Brighton defender Adam El-Abd, Sky Sports understands.

El-Abd is out of contract at Brighton next month and as yet no new deal has been agreed with the long-serving defender.

The news has alerted a number of the Seagulls' Championship rivals with the 28-year-old possibly being available on a free transfer.

El-Abd has established himself as one of the best defenders in the Championship and has been instrumental in Brighton's success in the last couple of seasons.

The powerful central defender has made close to 300 appearances and the Egyptian international is a big fans' favourite at the Amex Stadium.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kilgallon any good anymore? 

I think we'll end up paying for a centre back personally, if not - I would go for Elliott Ward - he proved himself a good championship player more recently at Forest, and has done it over the years. 

Danny Haynes for a direct right midfielder - much in the shape of Ward when we signed him, no question over his ability - question marks over fitness, but to be able to rotate him and bring him on late in games. 

I still think Billy Sharp would prosper massively in this team, and would be my first choice - but I am happy with the names mentioned, although I don't know much of Russell I respect the opinions of people and at the other end of the spectrum, James Vaughan has done it in this league more recently, in a low producing midfield. 

Left back, we could probably do with two - I would take Forsyth (first and foremost) think he has a lot to offer, definitely a diamond in the rough and perhaps the long term target of Aidy White? who has speed, and another dimension (which I would like to see)

Forsyth, Haynes, Sharp and Ward - realistic signings, it's a difficult one in all honesty. 

Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia and Bosnia have some very good defenders playing across Europe. Surely we could find someone who is better than Buxton (it is not that hard tbh) and on very low wages. Shame we have no scouting system at all.

I think we could find a great striker from Brazil then, and incredible midfielders from Spain... surely you're not naive in thinking it's that easy, just generalising different parts of the world to positions, utter madness!

We just need a good defender, he could come from wherever for my liking! 

I think the main problem with signing foreign players is that there's less guarantee they will settle than a British based player. If they're already playing for a British club, it's not so bad but whilst obviously many are superior skill-wise, is it worthwhile to spend so much on scouting and courting players (on a Championship budget), when there's no way of knowing whether a foreign individual can adapt to the culture and be comfortable in such new surroundings. There's less risk involved with bigger budgets and wider scouting networks.

I think the main problem with signing foreign players is that there's less guarantee they will settle than a British based player. If they're already playing for a British club, it's not so bad but whilst obviously many are superior skill-wise, is it worthwhile to spend so much on scouting and courting players (on a Championship budget), when there's no way of knowing whether a foreign individual can adapt to the culture and be comfortable in such new surroundings. There's less risk involved with bigger budgets and wider scouting networks.

I don't accept that as a just reason to ignore the foreign market when scouting/recruiting. The fact that the average player only stays at a club for 2-3 seasons, in what is already a short career, would suggest it's almost worth ignoring the whole "settling" into a new club phenomenon, it only seems to affect rubbish players or rubbish teams.

I don't accept that as a just reason to ignore the foreign market when scouting/recruiting. The fact that the average player only stays at a club for 2-3 seasons, in what is already a short career, would suggest it's almost worth ignoring the whole "settling" into a new club phenomenon, it only seems to affect rubbish players or rubbish teams.

I don't think you can ever ignore the market but if you're a Championship team, I think targeting the best young British talent is the way to go. Cheaper, more manageable and sustainable and potentially more profitable. 

With Metgod around, I think we do keep tabs on certain areas of Europe. If we were to get promoted, we may invest a little more in that side of things.

With Metgod around, I think we do keep tabs on certain areas of Europe. If we were to get promoted, we may invest a little more in that side of things.

Agreed...

Also, surely the news about this Fijian guy proves that Nigel isn't completely ignoring the world outside the UK?

And he signed Gjokaj... and Doyle...

Agreed...

Also, surely the news about this Fijian guy proves that Nigel isn't completely ignoring the world outside the UK?

And he signed Gjokaj... and Doyle...

Gjokal from Newcastle? Doyle who played in a friendly against us? Hardly scouted abroad...

I think it's actually more expensive to recruit British, hence why the football league is actually flooded with foreign players. Some people just like making excuses to suit when there are not set rules as such, but it does appear, when you consider success we have had at THIS LEVEL, recruiting from overseas, that we are foolish to overlook it. Hull, Cardiff, Palace, Leicester etc have all recruited unknown players from abroad in the last couple of seasons.

When we signed Rasiak, Idiakez, Reich, Bisgaard etc, nobody had heard of them. Even earlier when we signed Igor, playing at this level, he wasn't a household name.

Over the last 20 years I'd be keen to see a list of those foreign players signed v's those who Derby fans consider to have been successful.

I don't see the need for foreign superstars to be playing in the second tier of english football. There are enough English players struggling to get a game already.

I watched an interview with Ian Holloway last week,  Blackpool had no foreign scouting network either, when they went up they had no-one looking at players from overseas.

Less than 40% of ALL players in the premier league are English and still there's a massive outcry to have foreigners in our team?

Maybe it's just me who is proud of the fact we're looking closer to home. 

If and when we go up, then we can start thinking about adding that foreign flair we're all so desperate to see,

Archived