2013 Formula One World Championship

CumbrianRam

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never understood the fascination of Formula 1 racing, cars going round the same close circuit 50 odd times, I understood even less people who pay to go and watch cars going past them every 4 minutes in view for a microsecond until the next lap, if you're standing in the wrong place you may never get to see an overtake for the entirety of the race, where's the fun in that?

I never understood the fascination of Formula 1 racing, cars going round the same close circuit 50 odd times, I understood even less people who pay to go and watch cars going past them every 4 minutes in view for a microsecond until the next lap, if you're standing in the wrong place you may never get to see an overtake for the entirety of the race, where's the fun in that?

The sound, speed and smell - it's just incredible. I'd happily watch F1 cars for hours on end. They're just simply incredible. Gets your heart pumping like a big football match.

F1 is prohibitively expensive though, I go to the Le Mans 24 hours instead. 55 cars rather than your standard 22 at a Grand Prix, constant action and overtaking but a much more relaxed atmosphere and a lot else going on besides the race (like a music festival).

F1 is a bit of a con.

Not sure I'll bother with the next "race", it's just not racing any more, it's absolutely ridiculous that cars are parading about at 80% speed, with no one having any idea what's going on until the final few laps.

Is this any better than the early 2000s, when overtaking was never seen? No, not really.

Funny thing is that they had it spot on in the second half of last season, fecked it up next year, there are going to be new tyres in Silverstone apparently hope so as it is becoming overkill, don't want 2010 style processions where cars under-steered in slipstream and tyres could last about six races but also don't want what a watched today.

Still need to ban DRS though, sad thing is DTM and Formula Reno have it now.

Funny thing is that they had it spot on in the second half of last season, fecked it up next year, there are going to be new tyres in Silverstone apparently hope so as it is becoming overkill, don't want 2010 style processions where cars under-steered in slipstream and tyres could last about six races but also don't want what a watched today.

Still need to ban DRS though, sad thing is DTM and Formula Reno have it now.

DTM is should be renamed "Who We Allowed to Win This Week", it's a complete farce...maybe F1 isn't so bad.

HOW hard is it to have regulations which allow cars to sodding race for an hour and a half? Heads need to be banned.

It's not like every single motorsport category needs to rely on such complicated artificial variables to produce overtaking, F1 seems to have engineered itself a problem and then tried to design its way out of it again, rather than start with a blank sheet of paper.

Clough out.

It's hard to get the balance. Pirrelli were initially instructed to make the compounds very different to make strategy interesting and the racing unpredictable - clearly they've gone too far with the issue now, as qualifying and racing are becoming less and less connected.

In regards to DRS, it's hard to create regulations nowadays where it will be possible to overtake at any circuit, as the clever ones within the teams find ways to make it difficult to do so.

Whilst I would prefer a more pure approach to the racing, I recognise that Formula One needs to attract as many viewers as possible to maintain sponsors interest. You need the balance to please the fanatics and the armchair fans but unfortunately at this precise moment, it may not be pleasing either. At least it's Monaco next, where the tyre factor is usually less of an issue and it's still one of the great sporting events in my view.

It's hard to get the balance. Pirrelli were initially instructed to make the compounds very different to make strategy interesting and the racing unpredictable - clearly they've gone too far with the issue now, as qualifying and racing are becoming less and less connected.

In regards to DRS, it's hard to create regulations nowadays where it will be possible to overtake at any circuit, as the clever ones within the teams find ways to make it difficult to do so.

Whilst I would prefer a more pure approach to the racing, I recognise that Formula One needs to attract as many viewers as possible to maintain sponsors interest. You need the balance to please the fanatics and the armchair fans but unfortunately at this precise moment, it may not be pleasing either. At least it's Monaco next, where the tyre factor is usually less of an issue and it's still one of the great sporting events in my view.

It's only because they've gone down such a narrow route that it's so difficult to overtake. There's so many different ways to design a car and make it go quickly without causing turbulent air, but the politics of the sport means that basically, teams are spending millions on silly bits of wings and exhausts for a small decrease in lap time and massive increase in turbulent air in the car behind.

It's obvious, that if you have a qualifying format where the fastest car is at the front and the slowest car is at the back, and you don't have any race variables, you will have a dull race.

But yes, Monaco is a decent occasion and it should be more of a race, which is ironic because it's usually the opposite of that.

Pirelli is to change the tyres it supplies to Formula 1 from the Canadian Grand Prix next month.

The move comes after complaints that their fragile nature has made tyre-management too important.

Pirelli hope the changes mean drivers do not have to stop more than three times in races.

Red Bull have been vociferous in their complaints that the need to look after tyres is preventing them using the full potential of their car.

Ferrari's Fernando Alonso made four stops on his way to victory in Sunday's Spanish Grand Prix, which featured 79 pit stops in total for the 22 drivers.

Pirelli said the changes were "made in the interests of the sport" and not to favour some teams over others.

Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery said: "We hope that (helping Red Bull) won't be the case, but we always face that risk.

"People will say it is pressure from Red Bull but there has not been excessive pressure from them."

On Sunday, Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz was heavily critical of the current state of F1, saying it "had nothing to do with racing anymore". The Austrian met F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone, although he did not reveal what they had discussed.

Ecclestone said in Spain: "The tyres are wrong, not what we intended when we asked Pirelli to produce something which did half a race."

Hembery also denied that pressure from Ecclestone had informed the company's decision, saying: "He was only sharing the comments of the majority, that we had gone a step too far and we needed to come back a bit.

"So I wouldn't say it was pressure from him, it was really from the fans from a sporting point of view.

"From what we saw on Sunday, we felt, no, this was going in the wrong direction."

Hembery told Autosport they never intended there to be four-stop races.

"We want to go back to having two or three-stop races," he added.

He said the problems had been caused by the performance increase of the leading cars, which are a second a lap faster than they were in 2012.

"They have basically been stressing everything too much, and probably we underestimated the performance," Hembery said.

Hembery said the changes to the construction of the tyres could affect the choice of the compounds Pirelli takes to Canada.

Last month, the company announced the two softest tyres would be used on the non-abrasive semi-street circuit in Montreal.

But Hembery said Pirelli would advise the teams this week of any revised plans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22523596

McLaren-Honda in 2015.

Honda will return to Formula 1 in 2015 as engine supplier to McLaren - as revealed by BBC Sport in March.

The Japanese company, which quit the sport in 2009 after years of poor results with its own team, is reigniting one of the most successful partnerships in F1 history.

The move to feature turbo engines and extensive energy recovery technology from 2014 is behind Honda's re-think.

Honda said regulation changes were "central" to its participation.

Honda boss Takanobu Ito explained: "Honda has a long history of advancing our technologies and nurturing our people by participating in the world's most prestigious automobile racing series.

"The new F1 regulations with their significant environmental focus will inspire even greater development of our own advanced technologies."

Honda and McLaren dominated F1 from 1988-91, winning four consecutive world drivers' titles with Ayrton Senna in 1988, '90 and '91 and Alain Prost in '89.

Between them, they produced the most successful year in F1 history, winning 15 of the 16 races in 1988.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said the partnership was "a new and exciting chapter" in his team's history.

He added: "The names of McLaren and Honda are synonymous with success in Formula 1, and, for everyone who works for both companies, the weight of our past achievements together lies heavily on our shoulders.
Honda: big in the '80s

F1 constructors' titles:

1985 - McLaren-TAG

1986 - Williams-Honda

1987 - Williams-Honda

1988 - McLaren-Honda

1989 - McLaren-Honda

1990 - McLaren-Honda

1991 - McLaren-Honda

1992 - Williams-Renault

"But it's a mark of the ambition and resolve we both share that we want once again to take McLaren-Honda to the very pinnacle of Formula 1 success. Together we have a great legacy - and we're utterly committed to maintaining it."

McLaren will continue with current engine supplier Mercedes in 2014, but, with Honda waiting in the wings, it will undoubtedly be a slightly uncomfortable relationship.

Mercedes will also be keen to ensure that Honda has no access to its engine technology.

McLaren driver Jenson Button raced for Honda's factory team in F1 from 2006-8, winning the 2006 Hungarian Grand Prix but enjoying very little other success.

The Englishman, who won the 2009 world championship for the team after it was renamed Brawn following Honda's pull-out at the end of 2008, said he was "thrilled and excited" about Honda's return, describing it as "a great development for Formula 1 fans and the sport as a whole".

McLaren managing director Jonathan Neale said Honda would be prepared to supply other teams if required to do so, as specified in the F1 rules.
F1's new 2014 engine

Engine: 1.6-litre, V6s, with single turbo. Engines can rev to 15,000rpm, five power units per season per driver (each engine does 4,000km). 15% fewer moving parts

Turbo: Size unlimited, maximum revs 125,000rpm

Energy recovery (Ers) system: 161bhp for 33.3 seconds a lap

Fuel limit: No more than 100kg (about 140 litres) of fuel in a race; max fuel-flow rate of 100kg per hour. This is a 30% increase in fuel efficiency

Thermal efficiency: 40% (target)

The new F1 engine regulations have come in for criticism from commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone, who believes they are unnecessary, and smaller teams are concerned about the up-front costs of the engines.

These are significantly higher next year than they are at the moment, although the manufacturers have all promised to ensure costs come down over a five-year period so that they even out in the end.

Neale said: "Clearly F1 has to be cost-conscious but I think we have to also recognise that F1 cannot sit still.

"If it's going to be a technology showcase and contemporary with its markets, then embracing technology and making sure we are energy efficient is ensuring it stays healthy for the long run.

"So I'm sure there will be short-term pain, but I'm also sure that these technology steps are long-term the right way to go."

The engine rules were changed to make F1 more relevant to the road-car industry, and with the hope of attracting more manufacturers back into the sport.

Honda's return appears to be a vindication, and there are rumours other companies are considering entering the sport as well, with Toyota, Hyundai, VW/Audi and Ford mentioned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22551204

• 2 weeks later...

Archived