Could Hendrick be the next Lampard?

BrysonsBoys

Obviously this is a massive exaggeration at the moment but I think theres definitely potential for him to be a very good player in the ilk of Lampard.

His recent form has certainly kept us going at times and he's started to score goals from midfield which during my lifetime I can't really remember anyone else in rams shirt doing except idiakez?

Obviously theres still plenty of work to be done if Jeff were to reach that sort of level but I can definitely see flourishes of Lampards overall game in him, anyone agree?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously this is a massive exaggeration at the moment but I think theres definitely potential for him to be a very good player in the ilk of Lampard.

His recent form has certainly kept us going at times and he's started to score goals from midfield which during my lifetime I can't really remember anyone else in rams shirt doing except idiakez?

Obviously theres still plenty of work to be done if Jeff were to reach that sort of level but I can definitely see flourishes of Lampards overall game in him, anyone agree?

In that ilk, definitely. Doubt he'll ever reach that level but he's a similar style.

that's twice I've seen you mention Hendrick's goals. How many do you actually think he's scored for Derby?

that's twice I've seen you mention Hendrick's goals. How many do you actually think he's scored for Derby?

yeah my comment in the anti sammon thread caused me to open this one.

He's only scored around 5 or 6 if im correnct but how many of them have come since his recent good form started?? Its not just that its also his overall play which if i'm being honest has made him arguably one of our best players of 2013 so far.

I'd say perhaps Kevin Nolan is a closer example, maybe Marouane Feillaini if Derby played aerial balls into the box more often (at the same time as players are there!)

Lampard is a one-off, unfairly criticised and vastly underated at both domestic and international level.

I rate Hendrick and think with the right leadership he could blossom to be pretty...well... damn awesome!

I just hope we don't burn him out, I remember thinking Bolder had a chance of being a top professional, and whilst his career was still a good one, he was burnt out at a young age by John Gregory and poorly coached (IMO) and not looked after, and never recovered to the same level.

So you weren't around when Paul Simpson scored a hatful against Tranmere? He was a midfielder wasn't he? Think he scored almost 50 in his rams career.

And Hendrick the next Frank Lampard? Post that on a Chelsea forum and you'll get the absolute Piss ripped out of you.

Jeff will be an Ireland regular for years to come. I don't consider him to be the 'next Frank Lampard' - more the 'first Jeff Hendrick'.

He shines in a very mediocre Derby side - I think that he could be very effective in a decent Prem side.

Hendrick was god awful at the start of the year, he certainly turned it around though. I think it's important for him, and us that he doesn't let himself slide again over the summer.

If I was Clough I'd make him train through it, but I suppose that would be considered harsh.

I'd say perhaps Kevin Nolan is a closer example

Agreed...

He needs to make more forward runs on the ball... He's not a small lad, and when he runs with it defenders just seem to back off... Plus he's got two decent feet and has shown lovely close control on occasions...

So you weren't around when Paul Simpson scored a hatful against Tranmere? He was a midfielder wasn't he? Think he scored almost 50 in his rams career.

And Hendrick the next Frank Lampard? Post that on a Chelsea forum and you'll get the absolute Piss ripped out of you.

In fairness, he did say 'in the ilk of' in his post.

Hendrick is a fine example of nigh on perfect man-management. A great find to start with as someone at the club saw the potential, he was given a proper run in the team, not left out after a couple of poor/average performances (plenty in the crowd were questioning his place in the team), but given time to grow and develop his role.

When he did get dropped he came back better and stronger which suggests the manager got it just right. Again, after an indifferent spell he was left out, but crucially not as soon as his form dipped or as a knee jerk decision and once again he came back even better.

His footballing ability, physical strength, confidence and overall game has improved season on season under careful and considerate management.

Same sort of work with Hughesy, O'Brien, Freeman, Hogie and Bennett hopefully to come.

Archived