Shaun Barker

Gritty

I'd be very surprised if we get to see Barker at anything like his best for at least another 12 months. According to sports doctors, the collagen, that is the foundation for ligaments, can take 12 months the regain its original strength.

Many an Aussie rules footballer has taken a full season to get back to their best after a fairly straightforward ACL. Barker's is considerably more exstensive from all accounts.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Hope to god he gets back to the player he once was, he immense in his first couple of seasons with us, in fact hes 1 of the major reasons we haven't had to watch League 1 football, he was outstanding!

Easy there.

He's always been between OK and good for me. He went through a spell a couple of seasons back where he was costing us goals practically every game.

He has been missed, cos he's quite good for a mid table side, but I'll be surprised if he ever reaches that standard again. 

Would like to see how him and Keogh get on, but they're both quite similar centre halfs, head it, kick it, foul it, dont let anything through. 

I agree wholeheartedly.

I say go a step further.

Any person in any profession that sustains injuries while doing said profession should be given 4 weeks and then have their contracts terminated.

What the hell kind of world do we live in whereby professionals should be allowed to rehabilitate and get paid for that luxury.

It's downright scandalous I tell you, downright scandalous.

Maybe we should just cancel sick pay. Yes, cancel sick pay altogether. If you cannot contribute while you're sick you shouldn't be on the payroll.

Maybe cancel weekends as well. Yes, that's it. No contribution = no pay. Cancel weekends, cancel all time off, cancel all sick pay.

Cancel it all.

Wait 4 weeks?...... I'm surprised Barker wasn't sacked on the pitch the moment he went down.

Easy there.

He's always been between OK and good for me. He went through a spell a couple of seasons back where he was costing us goals practically every game.

He has been missed, cos he's quite good for a mid table side, but I'll be surprised if he ever reaches that standard again. 

Would like to see how him and Keogh get on, but they're both quite similar centre halfs, head it, kick it, foul it, dont let anything through. 

At the time he signed we were a very poor side and he was 1 of the only players that actually stood out. He was a fantastic player and like I said played a major factor in us not going down, I don't know how many games you were attending at that time but I remember him being outstanding in most of our home games, a few others must have done as well because he won player of the year.

Great vid Shabash. Thanks for putting that up.

I hope he's still got a huge role to play for us next season but even if not, in my eyes he'll go down as one of the top players from the Clough era.

A brilliant captain and seemingly a top man. What  I wouldn't give to see him lead us out again.

Great vid Shabash. Thanks for putting that up.

I hope he's still got a huge role to play for us next season but even if not, in my eyes he'll go down as one of the top players from the Clough era.

A brilliant captain and seemingly a top man. What  I wouldn't give to see him lead us out again.

I second that emotion!

People will continue to write him off.

But I remember a certain Paul McGrath lacking the agility, but made up for it in bravery and commitment.

Please don't compare Barker and McGrath, totally different worlds in class and ability.

Barker is great when he can head it and attack it, he is dreadful when he has some space in behind him and gets exposed. He also to be fair jump lumps it

People will continue to write him off.

But I remember a certain Paul McGrath lacking the agility, but made up for it in bravery and commitment.

I don't think you are remembering that well. McGrath was certainly agile but couldn't really run that well because of his knees. He more than compensated for that with his superb ability to read a game and his positioning. He had no need to be brave as he was a class above most players he faced.

Please don't compare Barker and McGrath, totally different worlds in class and ability.

Barker is great when he can head it and attack it, he is dreadful when he has some space in behind him and gets exposed. He also to be fair jump lumps it

Never said they are the same STYLE of player did I? Barker played on one leg for the best of half a season solely to make sure we are in the league. McGrath didn't train, but still managed to pull through 90 minutes of football marking the likes of Alan Shearer on his DCFC debut.

Different styles, same commitment to the cause.

I don't think you are remembering that well. McGrath was certainly agile but couldn't really run that well because of his knees. He more than compensated for that with his superb ability to read a game and his positioning. He had no need to be brave as he was a class above most players he faced.

He was agile but couldn't run? Makes sense....

Archived