The Big Sammon Thread

Rich3478

The meaning of life is a philosophical question concerning the significance of life or existence in general. It can also be expressed in different forms, such as "Why are we here?", "What is life all about?", and "What is the purpose of existence?" It has been the subject of much philosophical, scientific, and theological speculation throughout history. There have been a large number of proposed answers to these questions from many different cultural and ideological backgrounds.

The meaning of life is in the philosophical and religious conceptions of existencesocial tiesconsciousness, and happiness, and borders on many other issues, such as symbolic meaningontologyvalue, purpose,ethicsgood and evilfree will, the existence of one or multiple Godsconceptions of God, the soul, and the afterlife. Scientific contributions focus primarily on describing related empirical facts about the universe, exploring the context and parameters concerning the 'how' of life. Science also studies and can provide recommendations for the pursuit of well-being and a related conception of morality. An alternative, humanistic approach poses the question "What is the meaning of my life?" The value of the question pertaining to the purpose of life may coincide with the achievement of ultimate reality, or a feeling of oneness, or even a feeling of sacredness.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahaha... my English is far from perfect. Read my posts some time, I'm certain there's plenty of spelling errors and disastrous sentences which kind of fall apart. This is more about being picky about words, I was being a ***** before, but sometimes it's important to be clear. Using words in odd contexts can lead to more confusion than is really needed.

I'll agree with that - I just don't believe that you are knowledgeable enough to make those judgements

I'll agree with that - I just don't believe that you are knowledgeable enough to make those judgements

How knowledgeable you think I am shouldn't really come into the discussion. In fact, I don't even get the point of that comment.

I'm slightly confused as to why the meaning of life was brought up here too... I think I missed something here. The meaning of life is an interesting question, although it seems odd to ask a question like that when we don't understand the natural of the universe itself. From our current understanding though the idea of a 'meaning of life' is similar to asking the 'meaning of star formation'.

How knowledgeable you think I am shouldn't really come into the discussion. In fact, I don't even get the point of that comment.

I'm slightly confused as to why the meaning of life was brought up here too... I think I missed something here. The meaning of life is an interesting question, although it seems odd to ask a question like that when we don't understand the natural of the universe itself. From our current understanding though the idea of a 'meaning of life' is similar to asking the 'meaning of star formation'.

The debate about what things mean, it's an age old question.

Although, I'm sure you picked up on the attempt at humour there, right?

The debate about what things mean, it's an age old question.

Although, I'm sure you picked up on the attempt at humour there, right?

Bit of a stretch... despite the English language allowing for some ambiguity with the word 'meaning', there is a very real difference between semantic and ontological meaning.

I was sure it was meant to be humour, but sadly I think that was a bit of a stretch, particularly just copy pasting a chunk of wiki.

Bit of a stretch... despite the English language allowing for some ambiguity with the word meaning, there is a very real difference between semantic and ontological meaning.

I was sure it was meant to be humour, but sadly I think that was a bit of a stretch, particularly just copy pasting a chunk of wiki.

I'm lazy today.

I'm lazy today.

Maybe you should have used the "birds and the bees", at least us normal people could relate to that topic, and it would have been slightly more intresting than what the word theory is used for or not, whichever the case may be.

It may also inspire others to get out too, you never know ;)

We never had discussions like this on the Ozzie End.

Jump up and down a lot, stick the boot in occasionally, swear a bit.

That was all you needed.

Nowadays you need a masters in English Language.

That was all you needed.

I studied Politics... hence loving a good old argument...

No idea my friend, I wasn't involved in this story so cannot comment, and i have no idea whether Clough said we paid that or not (and to be honest this is dragging on far too long for me to bother to check, or even care really)

All I can do is reiterate what I said before about the way it works between businesses and the press. It's what I've been involved with for over two decades and nothing you can say will change my mind because I have huge experience and countless examples. If you don't want to believe any of it, no problem.

The "way it works" was never the main issue here,it was quite simply whether or not we could take media figures issued in respect of undisclosed fees as being accurate.I've put forward one example which appears to suggest (quite spectacularly)

that they should be treated with a large pinch of salt.

I'm sure that if Clough had said the BD fee had been anywhere close to £350k,then you wouldn't have been complaining of this "dragging on",and you might all of a sudden have cared rather more.Thankfully,if I heard Clough's words in a RD interview,then I'm sure many more did as well, and these will share my healthy scepticism.

That was all you needed.

Can you imagine a forum during the Colin Murphy, Tommy Docherty, Colin Addison and John Newman years going from the best team in England to division 3........

Can you imagine a forum during the Colin Murphy, Tommy Docherty, Colin Addison and John Newman years going from the best team in England to division 3........

Plenty of graphs.

View for Derby Telegraph journalist

CONOR Sammon and Jeff Hendrick have kept their places in Giovanni Trapattoni's Republic of Ireland squad – and rightly so.

Both have been named in a provisional party of 29 players for back-to-back World Cup qualifiers in Sweden and against Austria in Dublin later this month.

Inclusion is a reward for their performances for Derby County this season and the impression they made in the victory over Poland last month, when they won their first caps.

Sammon started and played the full game. His unselfish work and willingness to give defenders a tough time, physically and with his running, impresses many people, though clearly not all Derby fans.

But criticism of him has been harsh.

Yes, he should score more goals but so should a number of other Derby players.

Splashing out just over £1m on a striker guarantees little these days and it certainly does not guarantee 15 to 20 goals.

Craig Mackail-Smith cost Brighton & Hove Albion more than twice as much as Sammon did Derby and he is being paid wages far in excess of Derby's purse, yet Mackail-Smith has scored only three goals more than Sammon this season.

Jamie Vardy went for around the same fee as Sammon when he joined Leicester City from Fleetwood Town. Vardy has scored five goals in 28 appearances for the Foxes.

Wolves paid Reading around £6.5m for the services of Kevin Doyle some years ago. He has scored seven times this season, the same as Sammon.

Marvin Sordell has six goals and he cost Bolton Wanderers £3m from Watford just over a year ago, while Nottingham Forest's Simon Cox, a £2m signing from West Bromwich Albion last summer, has only five goals in 33 games.

There, of course, are other examples of strikers doing particularly well.

Glenn Murray has scored 30 goals for Crystal Palace and is having one of those seasons, which can happen with strikers.

Sammon's tally is eight goals and he has been at Derby seven months.

The type of striker he is – and how he fits into Derby's system and style of play – is clear.

When judging players it is important to concentrate on what they can do, not what they struggle with.

There are few complete players in football, never mind the Championship.

Hendrick has impressed following his slow start to the season and the 21-year-old midfielder is right up there when discussion turns to Derby's assets on the pitch.

Clubs will be aware of his progress and should he nail down a regular place in the Republic of Ireland team in the coming months or the next year or so, suitors are likely to come knocking on Derby's door.

Rams skipper Richard Keogh has not made the Republic's latest squad.

Keogh won his first cap at senior level against Poland when he came off the bench late in the game.

He has been ever-present for Derby this season although he has made a few costly slips and he should have done more to prevent Birmingham City's equaliser at the weekend.

But with all due respect to the other central defenders named by the Republic, when I look at the squad I think Keogh is unlucky not to be involved.

I said the same thing back in October and I stand by it now.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-18390913-detail/story.html

• 2 weeks later...

Fair comment on Sammon from todays DET:

To me, it seems that Chris Martin’s arrival has changed Sammon’s role in the side.

Martin’s superior touch and hold-up play mean that he is now the “outlet” ball and Sammon is now playing off Martin, which just doesn’t suit him.

He put in plenty of effort of Saturday but in my opinion the effort he put in was largely “effort for effort’s sake”, i.e. charging down loose balls/lost causes (much like what Robbie Savage used to do).

Yes, he put in a shift but for large parts of Saturday’s match, Sammon seemed simply out of the game.

If Martin signs permanently is there a place for Sammon in the squad? Possibly.

But I think we’d still need to sign a partner for Martin.

Archived