Clough interview

Igorwasking

Why?

Mid table is acceptable by some which is fine, but why cannot people want top 6, is this setting expectations high?

I'm sure the players and management aren't sitting there thinking we are happy finishing 8-16th, they want to play at the top level as do most people when watching or competing in sport.

This isn't mid table though. Mid table is Blackburn, Bolton, even Blackpool...we haven't been in the bottom half for weeks now.

We played third place in the table yesterday and thrashed them. The 3-1 scoreline flattered them. Considering that, the atmosphere was absolutely atrocious. Pride Park should be bouncing this season and we should be loving every home game, because we know no matter who comes here, they're probably not returning home with all three points because we're magnificent at home.

I too want to see us in the Premier League, but some are always looking ahead and not paying attention to what's in front of them. If this is the foundations of a promotion side, then surely you should be starting to enjoy it...

I loved the result yesterday but yet again the terrible attendance and atmosphere put a downer on things. Of all the top 10 sides or so, we must surely have the most apathetic fans...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't mid table though. Mid table is Blackburn, Bolton, even Blackpool...we haven't been in the bottom half for weeks now.

We played third place in the table yesterday and thrashed them. The 3-1 scoreline flattered them. Considering that, the atmosphere was absolutely atrocious. Pride Park should be bouncing this season and we should be loving every home game, because we know no matter who comes here, they're probably not returning home with all three points because we're magnificent at home.

I too want to see us in the Premier League, but some are always looking ahead and not paying attention to what's in front of them. If this is the foundations of a promotion side, then surely you should be starting to enjoy it...

I loved the result yesterday but yet again the terrible attendance and atmosphere put a downer on things. Of all the top 10 sides or so, we must surely have the most apathetic fans...

A shade over 22k, on New Years Day is awful considering that were playing some of the best football and getting some of the best results in recent years, when did we last win 4-1 before Watford this season? Blackpool about 3/4 yrs ago is the last one I can remember? There hasn't been a 0-0 at home this season, there's only one game where we haven't scored at home.

I think though, that if we can continue this throughout this season, and then go on and improve or even stay as we are next season, the attendences should start to creep back up. I also await what Sam Rush's plans are, as I'm sure he is more than aware of the crowd quandry, hopefully he is on board with the Safe Standing. Anyone else headed for the Fans' Forum on the 7th?

I also await what Sam Rush's plans are, as I'm sure he is more than aware of the crowd quandry, hopefully he is on board with the Safe Standing. Anyone else headed for the Fans' Forum on the 7th?

He's on RD tomorrow morning from 7 Animal, and again (I think, don't quote me tho) tomorrow evening on the Sportscene phone in.

Im sure we were 13th very recently ?

So what are you saying are unrealisitc expectations, Im talking about competing at the top end of the table, in return the crowds will increase, as will the atmosphere. Currently we win a couple, lose a couple, and as yet we havent won 3 games on the bounce all season.

This isnt moaning, its wanting the team to be successful, and some fans have lost the enthusiasm slightly as a result of seeing the side being inconsistent, so we may have the most "apathetic" fans, but I cant blame them to a certain degree, 4 years is a long time without to much to shout about.

More wins like Saturday will help, as will a decent cup run which once again the last time we had one was when.....oh and the close of the transfer market with little outgoing movement.

Im sure we were 13th very recently ?

So what are you saying are unrealisitc expectations, Im talking about competing at the top end of the table, in return the crowds will increase, as will the atmosphere. Currently we win a couple, lose a couple, and as yet we havent won 3 games on the bounce all season.

This isnt moaning, its wanting the team to be successful, and some fans have lost the enthusiasm slightly as a result of seeing the side being inconsistent, so we may have the most "apathetic" fans, but I cant blame them to a certain degree, 4 years is a long time without to much to shout about.

More wins like Saturday will help, as will a decent cup run which once again the last time we had one was when.....oh and the close of the transfer market with little outgoing movement.

we were 15th after we played Leicester on 1st of December but not been below 12th since then so we have been in the top half for 4 weeks and 6 games.

http://www.derbycounty-mad.co.uk/position_graph/2012_2013/derby_county/index.shtml

He's not said anywhere that he wants to sell Brayford. 2+2 =5

Im not going on what Nigel is saying, im going on the speculation from the media about Brayford. I dont want him to leave at all. We are not going to get a replacement at his standard for the wages and transfer fee that he costs. I just dont want anymore of our key players to leave, just as we start building a good championship team.

Im not going on what Nigel is saying, im going on the speculation from the media about Brayford. I dont want him to leave at all. We are not going to get a replacement at his standard for the wages and transfer fee that he costs. I just dont want anymore of our key players to leave, just as we start building a good championship team.

Ill say agian as I have said before - when have we sold key players without attempting to keep hold of them? Hulse was sold - he was injured and hardly played sicne we sold him. We tried to keep KC and offered him what he wanted.

Ill say agian as I have said before - when have we sold key players without attempting to keep hold of them? Hulse was sold - he was injured and hardly played sicne we sold him. We tried to keep KC and offered him what he wanted.

The fairytale that we are a soft touch on the transfer front is just that - a fairytale which stems from the time of the Amigos, a bunch of carpet-bagging crooks who eventually did time for their misdemeanours. Under Clough and GSE we have lost Hulse, Commons and Shackell. The latter was replaced by (IMO) a far superior player, and as you said, Hulse was on the downward slope and KC was offered the salary he wanted, but there was no way we could compete when Celtic came calling (subsequent events proved that he could perform at the highest level so who can blame him?)

There is a huge amount of interest now in some of our players, and that's good for two reasons. The first is that we are beginning to perform collectively and that's what has got the individuals noticed, and of course the second is that if it does come to pass that one or more of our stars is to leave, the more clubs interested in acquiring their services will generate an 'auction mentality' and Derby will receive a bigger transfer fee than if it was just (say) Fulham or Wigan on their own putting a bid in.

Shackell ?

We wont need to spend his money on replacing him, we have 3 right backs, well actually 2 I am not counting O'Connor as he is useless. He is there to make up the numbers when injuries hit.

Freeman is ready and Naylor is there. If we do sell Brayford the money will be spent on a left back IMO as we can clearly see that Gareth is getting injury prone now.

i forgot him, maybe because he was replaced immediately

...with a far superior player. I think you'll also find that there were other reasons which hastened his departure.

...with a far superior player. I think you'll also find that there were other reasons which hastened his departure.

Wasn't that idle gossip? (genuine question, not a snide remark. Could see how it might get read lol)

Wasn't that idle gossip? (genuine question, not a snide remark. Could see how it might get read lol)

I'm not subscribing to much of the nonsense which circulated at the end of last season. All I'm suggesting is that with Barker sidelined, the departure of Shackell just to bring in Keogh would have been a massive gamble if it was based upon footballing reasons only, and Clough doesn't gamble. Therefore it wasn't based upon footballing reasons alone.

I'm not subscribing to much of the nonsense which circulated at the end of last season. All I'm suggesting is that with Barker sidelined, the departure of Shackell just to bring in Keogh would have been a massive gamble if it was based upon footballing reasons only, and Clough doesn't gamble. Therefore it wasn't based upon footballing reasons alone.

I agree, what would be the point in keeping Keogh and Shack together if Barker is due to come back. I think Clough has it right. Barker is the best Central defender at Derby.

If Barker is back next year I will be happy with Jake and OB covering until that point.

If we kept Shack and sold next season after he was out of the game for 2 months we would of got nothing for him.

Keogh and Barks will be a very tight and commanding pairing maybe a little slow but will be decent.

Clough stated he was selling shackell to bring in funds for other players as well as a replacement. Are we saying our manager was not telling the truth?

Clough stated he was selling shackell to bring in funds for other players as well as a replacement. Are we saying our manager was not telling the truth?

Not at all.

Financial reasons are not the same as footballing reasons. It wasn't a gamble - it was forced through financial pressures.

In my opinion, that is.

Archived