Views on NC's signings as DCFC manager

jimbobram

We don't have any idea what the net spend is, nor is it a fair measure.

What do you define as a net spend? Just transfer fees, how does that make any fair indication of the situation? Wages, Agents Fee, etc make up a huge amount of the money paid from transfers and Nigel has had to slash a wage bill.

If a manager keeps a squad exactly as it was for a season, no increased wages, no players in or out, this would constitute a "0 net spend" correct?

What about a manager who signs a new player on large wages but no transfer fees, this would be a positive net spend would it not?

What if a manager halved a wage bill over the course of a few seasons, if the above two are a 0 net spend and a positive net spend, wouldn't this not considering anything else be quite a considerable negative net spend?

Then take into account that we don't know any of the exact figures, not even the transfer fees. Long story short all we know is that we've slashed the wage bill and spend a very limited amount of money, going anything beyond that is pure guesswork at this point.

Your final paragraph is pretty much what I said. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Hence the question mark after net spend in my post. I was though thinking purely of transfer fees.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can you trust me if I make minor errors? Everyone will make errors, typos and occasional miss things, it happens. If you can't trust me for making the odd mistake (and I assure you, there are almost certainly more than neither myself or others have picked up on), then I suggest signing out and never returning to another forum again, because I assure you that people make mistakes. If you'd like, I'll error check your posts that I see from now on for you.

Thatz gonna b a ful time job maaaate! Bring source!!!

But you have jumped on ppl this thread for getting "your you're" wrong is that not abit hypercritical?

Loads of our loans have been crap!! Not hit n miss there!! Miss n miss n hit n miss.

But he loaned to try and keep us going while he sold bus loads of overpaid players so I didn't want to criticise him for that. But if you call his transfers great and his loans hit n miss.... well, Paul Jewell must have made awesome ground breaking contributions with Hulse and Commons?

Shaun Barker - how is he a good signing? An injury prone midtable NPC defender for $1mill plus.. Poor business

Before anyone even mentions Barker, Wesigned Leacock and Darren Moore for a fraction of his price and they both at least completed a season, forming a solid defence and helped get us promoted.. Barker cost around $1mill and is a distinctly average NPC CB whose feckin injury prone.. Blackpool were laughing all the way to the bank with that one, especially as they replaced him with cheaper, better players..

He's been out injured for so long I'd forgotten all about your irrational hated of Barker.

I'm praying he comes back to best next year. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wub:' />

If you define k as a real number and have it approaching zero you can define the fraction 1/k to be the smallest real number in standard mathematics.

Although I tend to agree with your posts, this may well be the opposite of true!

It would be interesting to know what specifically it would take for those posters of a negative disposition to admit to being wrong; for them to change their minds about the direction in which the club is moving.

Playoffs? Promotion? PL winners? Champions League winners? And over what time scale?

Although I tend to agree with your posts, this may well be the opposite of true!

It would be interesting to know what specifically it would take for those posters of a negative disposition to admit to being wrong; for them to change their minds about the direction in which the club is moving.

Playoffs? Promotion? PL winners? Champions League winners? And over what time scale?

We've always moaned about the club, board, managers, tactics, players etc - its because we care!

Nowadays we have the format of the net to pick over the bones of every tiny decision from the tea lady to the chairman. We should celebrate moaning and stop moaning about it..... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

He was signed on loan the day Nigel was offered the job, and the day before he was appointed manager as it turns out. I remember he was signed after Jewell left, my apologies for listing a player signed the day that Nigel was approached for the job. As I always say, if I have made a mistake I am more than happy to correct it if shown the issue. Thankyou.

I would also point out that on that silly list with scores back on page 2 or 3 (since this was removed from the Hughes thread in transfer talk) that I'm pretty sure I forgot Tyson, but have again, since mentioned this.

How can you trust me if I make minor errors? Everyone will make errors, typos and occasional miss things, it happens. If you can't trust me for making the odd mistake (and I assure you, there are almost certainly more than neither myself or others have picked up on), then I suggest signing out and never returning to another forum again, because I assure you that people make mistakes. If you'd like, I'll error check your posts that I see from now on for you.

Caretaker manager Chris Hutchings describes the [url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Hines-line-face-United/story-11642896-detail/story.html#][size=2]England[/size]http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1 Under-19 international as extremely versatile and an exciting prospect.

"I am grateful to Gareth Southgate for allowing Seb to come on loan," said Hutchings.

"He is a hugely exciting prospect, like many at Middlesbrough, and I think Gareth knows by sending him to us that he'll be in good hands at a great club.

"He has all the physical attributes and a hunger for defending.

"He is also extremely versatile, which is useful to us at the moment."

Hines has made six appearances for Middlesbrough and scored on his debut in an FA Cup victory over Hull City in January 2007.

He will stay at Derby until February 4 and will wear number 36.

Except not everybody is being negative.

I said Nigel is like every other manager. Makes good signings, bad and in between. Like everybody else.

Then Albert started quoting me and disagreeing.

It's how good the good signings are that define his ability in the transfer market.

If his good signings continue to improve us then we'll be laughing on the way to Wembley.

But why pretend he's never had bad buys?

Albert seems to be acting as if Nigel is being criticised. He's not by most of us. Just that he's not a unique wonder in the transfer market. He's normal.

Good, bad and average.

That's not negative. This thread isn't about what Nigel has had to do. Simply about his signings. The player impact. I dunno what Albert would say about other managers.

Context is everything, and to list Pringle as a poor signing is basically equivalent to listing every kid to come through our academy as well. If that point wasn't clear from previous posts, I'd suggest rereading them. Not every player signed is going straight into the first team, and I'd assume anyone who's spent a lifetime watching the sport would have realised that.

It's not the same. Pringle was signed. A transfer.

Hughes is an academy product. Not a transfer.

It's not the same. Pringle was signed. A transfer.

Hughes is an academy product. Not a transfer.

Pringle was signed for our development squad and the fee paid was roughly the equivalent of an academy transfer compensation package. Pringle probably played games too early. He has now found his level at Rotherham, which is about 2/3 of the way from Ilkeston to Derby.

Caretaker manager Chris Hutchings describes the [url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Hines-line-face-United/story-11642896-detail/story.html#][size=2]England[/size]http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1 Under-19 international as extremely versatile and an exciting prospect.

"I am grateful to Gareth Southgate for allowing Seb to come on loan," said Hutchings.

"He is a hugely exciting prospect, like many at Middlesbrough, and I think Gareth knows by sending him to us that he'll be in good hands at a great club.

"He has all the physical attributes and a hunger for defending.

"He is also extremely versatile, which is useful to us at the moment."

Hines has made six appearances for Middlesbrough and scored on his debut in an FA Cup victory over Hull City in January 2007.

He will stay at Derby until February 4 and will wear number 36.

Thankyou for the source, as I said, he was signed the day that Nigel was approached, as such he was not a Nigel signing.

I don't get what my post had to do with your's here... Are you saying that their glass isn't even that full, or do you feel my off hand comment about real numbers was wrong?

Thatz gonna b a ful time job maaaate! Bring source!!!

But you have jumped on ppl this thread for getting "your you're" wrong is that not abit hypercritical?

This post, I don't even understand what you're saying. Are you saying that I commented on someone getting "your" and "you're" mixed up? Context, generally I only do that when being are being overly pedantic. If you tried to say that I used "your" instead of "you're" (which I'm almost certain you're not), then I'd politely say I did use "your" correctly in that context.

Speaking of which, how is it hypocritical? People make small errors all over the shop, it's the type and context that is the issue. Basising an entire argument over something that was poorly fact checked, that's one thing. Getting a small detail wrong in a huge list... not too bad. A typo or grammatical mistake, oh well... As long as people are happy to be corrected I see no issue.

Your final paragraph is pretty much what I said. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Hence the question mark after net spend in my post. I was though thinking purely of transfer fees.

Oh, sorry about that.

Pringle was signed from Ilkeston?

If so, that's a transfer?

Actually, a lot of transfers happen between clubs at academy level as well, and they do involve fees in some cases. Dealing with the fees involved was actually a big part of this whole new EPPP thing from what I could gather.

If you define k as a real number and have it approaching zero you can define the fraction 1/k to be the smallest real number in standard mathematics.

I don't get what my post had to do with your's here... Are you saying that their glass isn't even that full, or do you feel my off hand comment about real numbers was wrong?

The latter (by some margin).

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Clough's net spend is negligible. £1m over 8 transfer windows? Not sure its much more than that. Halved the wage bill?

And now we have a better team. squad and academy than when he took over.

so far, so good.

I'm sure I did a piece on this in the latter stages of the accounts thread and was a little surprised at the extent of it (not massive though).Of course,for Albert's benefit,this would only represent the capital spend (including agents/league levy) and must always represent a position somewhat removed from the present.

It amuses me when people start quoting transfer fees.If the club wanted to keep transfer fees undisclosed (which has now been the case for a long time),I'm sure it would make great sense to release such figures to the press.I've even seen Wiki mentioned,lol.

Albert, I would like all of my posts error checked if that's ok with you?

Just your standard, claim and source, that would be great.

..don't forget to give me a good thrashing for getting "appalled" wrong recently (only joking).

Archived