DCFC Book in progress - Share your stories.

MuespachRam

Good day to you all.

As you are all aware this great football club we all support has a very “interesting” history.

I have been thinking about the idea of putting together a book highlighting this for years and years and years, well, recently I have been doing some serious research into the feasibility of this and have had some very interesting conversations with potential sponsors and now a firm offer from a publisher.

All I need now are some stories….this is where we all come in.

My idea is to tell the history of DCFC through the eyes of those who have experienced it, us, the Fans.

I am looking for stories of your favorite ever match, favorite player, the best era, the worst era etc etc, pretty much any story you have on anything to do with DCFC…..that is publishable of course.

We have so many huge events in our history, including league championships, European adventures, winding up orders, the new stadium, the old stadium, hooliganism, FA Cup winners etc etc etc we have all read about them but I want your versions of these events.

I have been speaking to a bunch of authors regarding this process and they have all told me that many people feel “embarrassed” to recount what they would say were “uninteresting to others” but these are exactly the accounts I want, these are the accounts that are fascinating to others.

I am appealing for all of you to have a think about it, anything about DCFC, your most memorable moment, good or bad, encounters with some of the amazing characters that follow the Rams, encounters with any of the players etc etc and throw it on an email to me.

I promise you that everything will be in the strictest of confidence, and every single mail will be replied to with probably questions for more details!

I have a time frame to complete this, but basically at the moment I am gathering as much information as I can so the editor can begin the slow process of improving our stories.

I really want this to be our chance to write our book about our club, anything you can do to help will be great fully appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Mike (MuespachRam)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great idea, there's quite a lot of Derby literature sitting in our living room at home but it's not really been added to for over half a decade at least because little's been published recently.

I'd love to contribute, but being the young fan I am, I'm probably going to write about the Premier League season, if anything. Talking about the play-off semi against Southampton or a first-leg victory over United in the micky Mouse cup seems pathetic compared to those writing about European Cup matches, or the first post-war FA Cup final. In many ways, our Premier League season was as disastrous and embarassing as the Clough/Mackay years were brilliantly successful, it's the only thing I've seen I can compare with the old generation!

Are you appealing on twitter too, Mike?

This is a great idea, there's quite a lot of Derby literature sitting in our living room at home but it's not really been added to for over half a decade at least because little's been published recently.

I'd love to contribute, but being the young fan I am, I'm probably going to write about the Premier League season, if anything. Talking about the play-off semi against Southampton or a first-leg victory over United in the micky Mouse cup seems pathetic compared to those writing about European Cup matches, or the first post-war FA Cup final. In many ways, our Premier League season was as disastrous and embarassing as the Clough/Mackay years were brilliantly successful, it's the only thing I've seen I can compare with the old generation!

Are you appealing on twitter too, Mike?

Don't be daft, that is exactly what I want, I want to chronicle ALL of our history, from the FA cup win (does anyone know anyone who was there?) right up to the present day....and lets be honest, we can't write a book about Derby without mentioning THAT season can we......!? (or can we!?)

Please send whatever you have in, it will all be so well received believe me.

thanks for the support...I will keep you all up to date on what is happening.

yep, I will be appealing on Twitter, @MuespachRam if you want to follow me and I will also be launching a facebook page asap.

thanks again, and I look forward to hearing your stories.

Thanks so much mate....how about when you set up the bar to take in 40 Frenchies....and it snowed!!! agahgaghghaga :-)

Well I can include that 1 as well. Was looking forward to having a drink with you as well that day. Hopefully I can get the next match off and we can have drink this time round. With no snow.

Im an older fan, so cant remember most of what has happened in my 30 years following the rams, although I do remember getting chased by the Zulus, being **** scared at the old den with pool balls n darts reigning down, run around Leeds and Barnsley, all the good things 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Im an older fan, so cant remember most of what has happened in my 30 years following the rams, although I do remember getting chased by the Zulus, being **** scared at the old den with pool balls n darts reigning down, run around Leeds and Barnsley, all the good things 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Ha ha...yep...you do reach an age when they sort of blur into one...!

whatever you can rememebr though, just throw it on a mail for me would you?

I have a few really good stories already, and that period of following the Rams was certainly......entertaining!!!

cheers again

Just a few ideas (most of which I am sure you have thought about anyway)

Good stories

'First superstar of football' Steve Bloomer

First post second world war FA cup winners

2 league titles

European cup games

Night matches at the BBG

Play off victory at 'new Wembley stadium' (were we the first winners of this at the new stadium?

Local businessmen saving us from Three Amigos

New stadium opened by the queen

Bad stories

Record defeat in FA Cup final

Record low points in Premier League

Nearly going bust

Robert Maxwell

Three Amigos

Paul Jewell (especially the Sunday morning news article!)

Not getting into Europe because of the scousers

Beating Man Utd on the day of the Hillsborough disaster

Funny stories

Parading Ian Storey Moore on the pitch

Parading Ivan Knoflicek and Lubos Kubic on the pitch

Floodlights failing during the first game at new season

Reg Harrison bringing his FA cup medal to show to my football team and one of my mates asking where he had bought it from!

Paul Jewell

Other stories

Emergence of foreign players (Roberto Baggio, Fabrizio Ravanelli, Paulo Wanchope, Mart Poom, Igor Stimac, Francesco Baiano, Stefano Eranio)

My mum trusting me with money to go and get myself my school uniform for the year only to return with 2 new Derby kits (one was that awful purple Puma one!)

These are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head. Will let you know if anything else comes to mind that may be of interest to you.

thanks so much G Star...exactly what i am talking about....we have so much history...it needs to be put down by US...we are the ones that lived these great moments in time, we are the ones that suffered....and suffered some more....

pick one or two of them and write down your experiences for me?

cheers

I remember me poor old dad feeling 'unwell' 25 minutes into a game in the early seventies (Popside)

he said ''I can't stay, son''.. ''I feel really ill'',

I asked him in a ''you don't want me to leave with you, do you ?''sort of way..

he says, ''no, you stay, i'll be ok ''.

Turns out he had 'gaulstones', which were cured by what he says was a 'pipe cleaner' 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

I still feel guity about letting him go on his own, but, hey, he understood.

After all, we were watching the 'Best team in the land' ..Bar none..

Archived