Do we need to sign a new CB in January if we want to push for top 6?

ChaddesdenRam

Say we are in the top 10 come January will Buxton be good enough to help us get into the top 6. Or will Mark Obrien step in as he was in the team that had Derby's best start to a season for 20 years or whatever it was. Another option would be this gjokak lad who has gone out on loan. or fiinally you think Buxton is good enough.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Clough will buy an established center half, until he knows if Barker is going to recover or not. As for a left back, Roberts definitely looks to have enough in the tank to last this season, if not the season after. Hopefully O'Brien, Lelan and or Gjokaj will prove good enough. Buxton certainly isn't the long term answer.

Priorities are:-

Left Back

Centre back (if barker doesn't get back to his best)

Centre Midfielder

Hopefully, Michael Hoganson may progress this year, and come into the first team picture this year, if not we will need a new left back.

Same with Gjokaj at CB, although I think he'll be a good player in a year or two time, i think this loan spell at Carlisle will be a big learning curve for him

Personally I'd go for a striker.

Huh?

Conor Sammon - 4 goals - Brings a lot more than goals to the side, brings others into play

Theo Robinson - 7 goals - Mightn't also be that great, but he gets goals, a great player to have around

Nathan Tyson - 5 goals - Quick and has been scoring this season

Jamie Ward - 4 goals - Has played largely as a wide midfielder for us since coming to the club, but he can play up front and knows where the net is

Mason Bennett - 0 goals - A great young prospect and one who in the next season or so will likely see more game time

Callum Ball - 3 goals (on loan at Coventry) - Another good young striker, and another who could play a big part in seasons to come

So, that's 4 first team strikers and a further two youngsters. Who exactly are we replacing?

Why?

The strikers we have in my opinion are not scoring enough, 18 league matches our top scorer, Theo, has 7 a decent return however I'm concerned if he gets injured or loses form the others will not step up, had hoped Sammon would score enough to make up for Davies leaving but so far it doesn't look as though that will happen unless the 2 goals he got yesterday give him the confidence to go on scoring more regularly or hopefully Ward will be back soon enough and the injury does not impact on him too badly.

And Albert i never said anything about replacing anybody I'm talking about adding to the squad.

The strikers we have in my opinion are not scoring enough, 18 league matches our top scorer, Theo, has 7 a decent return however I'm concerned if he gets injured or loses form the others will not step up, had hoped Sammon would score enough to make up for Davies leaving but so far it doesn't look as though that will happen unless the 2 goals he got yesterday give him the confidence to go on scoring more regularly or hopefully Ward will be back soon enough and the injury does not impact on him too badly.

And Albert i never said anything about replacing anybody I'm talking about adding to the squad.

Albert pretty much sums up why I think a striker is the least of our priorities.

As for the bold bit, there was a little sign last night that the strikers can step up when Theo's out of form. Theo might aswell have not played last night he was that bad, our other 2 strikers that played couldn't do any more.

I think there's enough cover for now, other area's need improving first as goals don't seem to be a problem.

Strikers are the highest of all our priorities.

They all have extremely bad ball control which is holding us back badly, cos they cant keep hold of the ball or doing anything effective with the ball at their feet.

With a couple of decent strikers who have some ability on the ball, we would be such a better side, im convinced of this.

Isn't our strike force one of the more competitive in the league? With 20 games gone our strikers have 20 goals between them. I would argue that is a pretty decent spread.

A new centre back would be nice, as would a left back and centre back.. And while we're at it I would love to see a few more players come into the club to help with injuries, in the mould of Freeman and Jacobs, good young players who know they have to work hard to have a shot!

Sort the away mentality out and we'll be absolutely fine... Home form is brilliant!

I'd say a central midfielder is our biggest priority, followed by a centre back and then a left back.

I think we have good options up front, perhaps not the much-fabled 20-goal-a-season striker we've all lusted after. But we have good competition for places, no-one can take their place in the side for granted and it seems to be bringing out the best in certain players, Tyson for example.

Archived