Derby County v Birmingham City

CumbrianRam

Sammon does a decent enough job at this level with his power and energy. Never going to be the most gifted goal scorer though. Said to my Ipswich supporting freinds at the start of the season i would love to see that Chris Wood (who's on loan from WBA to Millwall) at Derby and now he's smashing them in. Big lad who has potential to be a 20+ a season at this level and is only 20.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of a rubbish example, you could say that about every striker in the league so far this season.

I could name 10 games where he's played ok to good in. Just like most strikers so far this season...

I'd be interested to know the massive hindrances you speak of mind, he's not played well in a few games away from home but I feel thats a tad over the top.

Not really, when he's not in the side as a goal scorer, his overall play should be seriously benefitting the team so others can score the goals that he's creating.

The massive hindrance being, that he cant hold the ball up, which away from home is something you desperately need from a striker when we're spending more of the game not controlling possesion and sometimes need an outlet.

And yet, all proved themselves, along with Ward to be one of the most productive strikeforces in the league... Huzzah!

Yep, a strike force that is part of a side that has scored 7 goals away from home this season.

To be fair, it seems that you having seen us predominantly at home are seeing far more positive signs than me, who has predominantly seen us away where we've generally been poor.

And yet, all proved themselves, along with Ward to be one of the most productive strikeforces in the league... Huzzah!

One of the most productive?

Last season we failed to score in 40% of our games..

This season we've only scored 7 goals in 9 away games and overall we have have scored in 72% of our games which is still way below what is required of a top team given our defence..

To say it's one of the most productive is abit far-fetched.. It's average.. And for $1.2mill that's alot of money for someone who is average..

We've scored 28 goals this season in 18 games.. It sounds quite promising.. But then again we scored 15 in 4 games (Brum, Watford, Charlton, Blackpool) and all of those have average defences or worse.. When you look at it like that we've only scored 13 in our other 14 games.. That isn't productive.. That's frankly poor..

{content}
The stark contrast between goals scored at home and goals scored away is frustrating. At home we are 5th in the league with 21 goals scored and 11 against. Away we are 18th with 7 scored and 15 against.[/indent]

{content}
Lack of goals away though is not just down to stikers anymore than the goals scored at home is. It's down to belief and commitment as a team going forward. Cloughy has said at various times we want to play the same away as we do at home. The problem is that plainly we are not.[/indent]

Not really, when he's not in the side as a goal scorer, his overall play should be seriously benefitting the team so others can score the goals that he's creating.

The massive hindrance being, that he cant hold the ball up, which away from home is something you desperately need from a striker when we're spending more of the game not controlling possesion and sometimes need an outlet.

So he's only been a massive hindrance in 2 away games then, I missed Bolton (where it sounded as if he played well) but I've seen the rest. The previous 2 in London have been his worst, not all down to him either. It doesn't help that the nearest player to him is 30 yards away like it has been the case in recent weeks. He's alright at winning the ball and holding it up if there are players around him, but not for the amount of time it has been taking our players to get near him. Hence the loss of possession and the ball coming straight back at us. A vicious circle. I don't think he's been very good in recent weeks away from home but I don't think the tactics we have played have helped his case. He's not the sort of striker you can play upfront on his own in my opinion, or if you do, you need midfield runners up and around him.

He was awful at Palace but it wouldn't have mattered if we had a world class target man that game as we simply didn't support our front man. Exactly why nothing changed when we swapped him for Theo, it wasn't until Tyson came on for a 4-4-2 (maybe abit of Palace sitting off the gas too) that we actually had abit of the ball in their half.

His overall play in the rest of the away games has been pretty good. Wolves, Hudds and Ipswich in particular. He was ok at Forest, apparently good at Bolton, Peterborough was a weird one - despite him not playing well he created everything good that game for us in the attacking third. When he came on at Boro for 30 minutes he did well, we had our best spell of the game and should of won it.

"Massive hindrance" is harsh, in my opinion. There's 2 games where that term could apply, that's it for me.

He's still got a lot to prove, he can be doing more in some games there;s no doubt about that, I just don't buy into the Sammon-bashing that a few do. He's not been that bad at all overall.

To say it's one of the most productive is abit far-fetched.. It's average.. And for $1.2mill that's alot of money for someone who is average..

Hardly far-fetched, look at the goals scored in this division. As far as sharing the goals among strikers we probably have the most productive strike force in the league.

28 goals is a good return. More than a few teams who are taking this division apart more weeks than not.

Sort the away form/goals out and we'll be onto a winner.

Blackburn have spent 10 million + on strikers this year, yet haven't scored more than us. 1.2 million is looking a bargain fella.

Watching the game, I was struck by how many players Sammon had surrounding him. 2 maybe 3 players at times, he's always going to struggle against that. Did notice against Brighton though, his first touch was terrible when it came to his feet. He's alright when it's at his head or chest, but then you're looking for Robinson, Coutts, Bryson, Hughes and now Jacobs to be somewhere near him as an outlet.

A lot of people really like Bryson, I can see why, he runs himself into the ground and on his day he's a really good player. But I think he's our weak link, he's the main guy I'd be looking to meet Sammon's knock downs if Hendrick is playing. Now Hendrick has been dropped (I can't see a way back in for him this season) maybe Hughes could be that man.

Ideally you'd want Hendrick to perform and let Bryson and Hughes battle it out for a place in the team. I prefer Hughes, he's much more creative in his play. Someone needs to come in as a defensively minded CM and let Bryson and Hughes do the attacking. If we're playing 4-5-1 I suppose it accommodates both of them but 4-4-2, it's up in the air as far as I'm concerned.

Looking at our defence, somebody needs to be able to protect them because they're looking shaky and all over the place recently. They're confusing themselves so easily.

Anyway, that's my verdict after the game. Bryson's position in the squad should not be protected, we desperately need a DM and our midfield needs to support Sammon.

Hardly far-fetched, look at the goals scored in this division. As far as sharing the goals among strikers we probably have the most productive strike force in the league.

28 goals is a good return. More than a few teams who are taking this division apart more weeks than not.

Sort the away form/goals out and we'll be onto a winner.

Blackburn have spent 10 million + on strikers this year, yet haven't scored more than us. 1.2 million is looking a bargain fella.

I'd rather have a strikeforce that scores 4 out of every 5 games than one that scores 2 out of every 5 games but in those two scores perhaps two in one game..

You have to be consistant, not just turn it on for one or two games (Blackpool and Watford) but then fail to score on the next 3 occasions.. Just like I said, 28 sounds great, but 13 in 14 sounds poor..

I made a case about Mario Gomez last season.. The fella scored 40 plus goals during the season (sounds fantastic) but not really when he only scored in 17 games out of 50 odd.. It's all when and good smashing a hattrick or even 4 against someone but if you can't back that up by not scoring in the susequent 3 or 4 games then it's not really helping at all..

Our strikers combined (Ward, Tyson, Theo, Sammon) have scored in 11 of our 18 games.. That's 61% of our games between our 4 strikers.. Jordan Rhodes has scored in 6 of the 15 games he's played for Blackburn giving him alone 40% of all Blackburn games he scores in..Charlie Austin has scored in 11 of Burnleys 18 games giving him also 61%..

It's not the quantity of goals that's the most important, it's how consistant they are over a season.. You could easily get a 20 goal a season striker in the NPC that's only scored in about 14 games...

It's great that we have 4 strikers to rely on to pitch in with the goals.. Reading who got promoted last season also used 4 strikers who all got goals between them (Le Fondre, Roberts, Hunt, Chruch) but for it to be productive they need to be scoring in the majority of our games.. Away from home this season we've failed to score in 4 of the 9 games.. It's great to win 5-1 at home to Watford but we followed that up with a blank against Huddersfield.. Likewise with the wins over Blackpool and Barnsley.. 6 goals scored followed up by 1 goal in 2 games and 2 defeats..

Productive strikers score regularly.. Not all in batches (Mario Gomez)

I'd rather have a strikeforce that scores 4 out of every 5 games than one that scores 2 out of every 5 games but in those two scores perhaps two in one game..

You have to be consistant, not just turn it on for one or two games (Blackpool and Watford) but then fail to score on the next 3 occasions.. Just like I said, 28 sounds great, but 13 in 14 sounds poor..

I made a case about Mario Gomez last season.. The fella scored 40 plus goals during the season (sounds fantastic) but not really when he only scored in 17 games out of 50 odd.. It's all when and good smashing a hattrick or even 4 against someone but if you can't back that up by not scoring in the susequent 3 or 4 games then it's not really helping at all..

Our strikers combined (Ward, Tyson, Theo, Sammon) have scored in 11 of our 18 games.. That's 61% of our games between our 4 strikers.. Jordan Rhodes has scored in 6 of the 15 games he's played for Blackburn giving him alone 40% of all Blackburn games he scores in..Charlie Austin has scored in 11 of Burnleys 18 games giving him also 61%..

It's not the quantity of goals that's the most important, it's how consistant they are over a season.. You could easily get a 20 goal a season striker in the NPC that's only scored in about 14 games...

It's great that we have 4 strikers to rely on to pitch in with the goals.. Reading who got promoted last season also used 4 strikers who all got goals between them (Le Fondre, Roberts, Hunt, Chruch) but for it to be productive they need to be scoring in the majority of our games.. Away from home this season we've failed to score in 4 of the 9 games.. It's great to win 5-1 at home to Watford but we followed that up with a blank against Huddersfield.. Likewise with the wins over Blackpool and Barnsley.. 6 goals scored followed up by 1 goal in 2 games and 2 defeats..

Productive strikers score regularly.. Not all in batches (Mario Gomez)

61% is scoring in the majority of our games.

It's more important that the team scores in a high percentage of games. How many games have we scored no goals as a team?

not really - after 18 games last season we had conceded 28 goals compared to 26 this season.

Over a season we conceded 58 goals in 46 games.. Take out the two disasttrious game (Leicester, Soton away) that's only 50 goals in the other 44 games which is not too bad at all..

If we continue the same pattern we'll concede 52 goals in just 36 NPC games.. Defensively this season we're poor.. And our midfield this season supposively should give us more protection than last season as apparently it's better this season..

Again, just like the goalscoring before.. A defence should be judged on goals conceded over a season, some records are often ignored because one team can concede 4 or 5 in one game on the off chance.. This season we've consistantly shipped goals, we've only kept 3 clean sheets all season meaning we've conceded in 15 games.. If we've conceded in 15 games this means to win the game we've had to score more than 1.. Something we've done only 8 times out of 18..

I think going forward we're better at home this season than last.. Away from home I wouldn't be suprised if it's the same.. Defensively though we need to improve..

Over a season we conceded 58 goals in 46 games.. Take out the two disasttrious game (Leicester, Soton away) that's only 50 goals in the other 44 games which is not too bad at all..

Again, just like the goalscoring before.. A defence should be judged on goals conceded over a season.

Your the one who's been using stats for 18 games to say our strike force isn't good.

If you take out the disasterous Palace and peterborough games we are on 20 goals from 18 games - which would be less than the 50 goals from 44 games from last season you mention.

Archived