James McClean threatened to be killed

Cisse

Its a poppy not a swastika or even a tricolour or a union jack.

Wearing it signifies nothing other than a respectful act of remembrance for the people who died trying to protect the freedoms we take for granted.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a poppy not a swastika or even a tricolour or a union jack.

Wearing it signifies nothing other than a respectful act of remembrance for the people who died trying to protect the freedoms we take for granted.

Agreed mate. We've probably gone off topic slightly but I personally wouldn't threaten violence against someone who doesn't wear a poppy.

Ok but i suppose you've also got to consider that the IRA bombed the cenotaph in Enniskillen on remembrance sunday.

With their warped thinking some people choose to regard the act of wearing a simple poppy as a sign of allegiance to king and country etc. The various strategies in response therefore have a political sub-text. They are the people who choose to politicise something as simple as a respectful act of remembrance.

To wear a poppy or not is always a personal choice. I wear one but I don't complain that other people don't.

They may have there own way of remembering the fallen for all I know.

The ones that chose to burn them etc are a disgrace. They probably have relations who fought in the World Wars to protect the future freedom. These people need better education or just locking up!!!

A footballer has the freedom to choose to wear one or not and it is not my place to be critical of them

If his reasons for not wearing one are based on hostility to the uk then he is a hypocrite for choosing to come here and take whats on offer.

Anyway....the way he's playing he'll soon be going back.

It seems to me he's just been loyal to his family and his upbringing, which imo is just the way it should be. How many of us would do the same?

It's madness to think he should somehow be physically punished for choosing not to wear one, that's just fascism, it's that what needs getting rid of.

If his reasons for not wearing one are based on hostility to the uk then he is a hypocrite for choosing to come here and take whats on offer.

There's a difference between coming here for a better life, and choosing not to wear a poppy because of the way your home town was treated by the British Army.

There's a difference between coming here for a better life, and choosing not to wear a poppy because of the way your home town was treated by the British Army.

Dont talk daft.

James mcclean was not born until april 1989, at least 17 years after the outbreak of the troubles.

He is of the generation that did not know the time when internal sectarian conflict was marked by outbreaks of violence on all sides.

No side has the right the claim the moral high ground, least of all those so-called nationalist republicans who betrayed the cause they supposedly represented by blowing up women, children, innocent by-standers, soft targets; even turning their violence onto their own community in a perverse mix of vigilantism and organised crime exercised under the guise of a revoltionary cause.

Should someone born in 1962 hate all germans or japanese because of the events of ww2?

Perhaps he should wear a poppy in remembrance of innocent victims of republican terrorism such as seargent Michael Newman.

Or is he one of these people who prefers to define his identity by virtue of who he decides he hates.

Pathetic.

I was born in 1970 and feel very strongly about Russians and Germans doing what they did here. I have lived in an apartment at the exact spot where the house was bombed. My relatives died, lost limbs and survived in that war and I have lived with the shadow of that war my entire childhood since in hour house lived several veterans and women who kept things going while men were fighting.

Can't blame McClean having feelings about what might have happened to his family before he was born.

Dont talk daft.

James mcclean was not born until april 1989, at least 17 years after the outbreak of the troubles.

He is of the generation that did not know the time when internal sectarian conflict was marked by outbreaks of violence on all sides.

No side has the right the claim the moral high ground, least of all those so-called nationalist republicans who betrayed the cause they supposedly represented by blowing up women, children, innocent by-standers, soft targets; even turning their violence onto their own community in a perverse mix of vigilantism and organised crime exercised under the guise of a revoltionary cause.

Should someone born in 1962 hate all germans or japanese because of the events of ww2?

Perhaps he should wear a poppy in remembrance of innocent victims of republican terrorism such as seargent Michael Newman.

Or is he one of these people who prefers to define his identity by virtue of who he decides he hates.

Pathetic.

Bloody Sunday can't be compared to a war. It was much more recent and a massacre of civilians, in which the report only came out a year ago. I'm not saying whether he was right or wrong, but I can definitely understand his decision not to wear one. He observed the silence might I add.

Most of his wages are paid for by foreign TV companies, it's not like he's sponging off us or anything like that.

I thought the heroes who died in the World War were fighting against this sort of thing, where you'd receive death threats for not wearing something "patriotic" or whatever our sign of remembrance has evolved into.

It has evolved into a stick with which beat those who are different, those who don't share same view, those who don't conform, who don't fit. Outsiders. Them.

Such is a nature of humanity - anyone who isn't 'us' is 'them'.

I wear a poppy as I lost a relative in WWI, but wouldn't think to force it on others, it will mean something different to some, to others very little but a mark of respect. McClean didn't kick up a fuss about not wearing it, he just chose not to - his decision should be respected, not villified.

I thought the heroes who died in the World War were fighting against this sort of thing, where you'd receive death threats for not wearing something "patriotic" or whatever our sign of remembrance has evolved into.

Quite so.

Such is a nature of humanity - anyone who isn't 'us' is 'them'.

I wear a poppy as I lost a relative in WWI, but wouldn't think to force it on others, it will mean something different to some, to others very little but a mark of respect. McClean didn't kick up a fuss about not wearing it, he just chose not to - his decision should be respected, not villified.

And then had his poppyless shirt auctioned in ireland.

Archived