Poland v England

Day

Another example of the effectiveness of sitting back. No real surprise the equaliser came. A point is all we deserved, I can see us having a hard time trying to qualify out of this mediocre group, looks like the early challenger is the likes of Montenegro with San Marino as their game in hand and then Moldova.

Carrick and Rooney barely found a England shirt between them all game. Thumping the ball up to Defoe seemed our only outball which probably explains the performance.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that Poland are a decent side is being overlooked, nothing exceptional but away at their place i'd be happy enough with a point. I'm very thankful that Blaszczykowski wasn't fit, given the amount of joy they had against Cole, B'Kowski and Piszczek's partnership would've torn us a new one.

Still, we'll be fine, poor day for Carrick which really screws the side up as he's the one dictating the simple passes for us to create things. If he's off it, we'll create next to nothing through the middle without Gerrard dropping back and playing the passes himself, leaving us with less guys upfront (unless he chooses to take people on, which nowadays isn't his strongest option).

1-1, good point in the circumstances, just gotta make sure to beat them at home.

I'm not a fan of his. Hasn't really shown his club level form for England, which is a shame because He's a good player for Man United.

His first competitive game was against Moldova and he had two assists to his name against San Marino, to write him off already is very strange indeed. United also use him differently to England, though personally I don't think he has done badly for England so far.

It's not his fault today that he's being asked to track back alot in a flat midfield, not really his game is it, though he was ok at it for the most part.

Cleverly and Milner were the only two players that seemed to come out with any kind of positive comment on radio 5 live.

Any comments about Rooney's performance? 5 live were looking for reasons he was subbed but didn't really divulge anything, didn't say he played well either. They did mention he was not involved much in the first half. I've got my own thoughts on the subject, he's billy big balls, believed in his own hype and now is so deluded by his own ability is going to struggle to turn it around.

It's a bit harsh on Gerrard that people expect so much from him when no other players really perform well for England, he's an old guy now in terms of footballers so I think he gets a lot of unfair criticism.

Expected a tough game and predicted a draw, not the best conditions for but then Poland were on the same pitch and didn't have as many problems passing the ball as England did for whatever reasons.

Was a poor team performance, wouldn't pick out anyone individually for praise or criticism, England can play better and will need to play better to qualify which we will.

Still think quite a few people (not on here) including the media need to come round to the fact that England are not world beaters by any stretch of the imagination, we have no right to beat countries like Poland and a point tonight regardless of performance was a decent result.

The atmosphere sounded a tiny bit better than musical Wembley.

English football - over priced, over paid, over rated.

However they'll still top the group. They aren't rubbish.

Rooney is a class above. How he has such poor performances in the national side is beyond me. How??

The atmosphere sounded a tiny bit better than musical Wembley.

English football - over priced, over paid, over rated.

However they'll still top the group. They aren't rubbish.

Rooney is a class above. How he has such poor performances in the national side is beyond me. How??

Maybe he's not under enough pressure in an England shirt? Just thinks he has to turn up. Might change now, at least Hodgson is prepared to take him off.

I just don't see how Glen Johnson can continue to be selected, constantly out of position, constantly misplaced passes (worst offender next to Rooney imo) and is somehow being praised because of the one challenge he made. Doesn't make up for such poor England performances recently.

A point was all we deserved last night. Might as well have played Andy Carroll for all the hoofballs up to Defoe.

I like the way Johnson gets praised for awesome last ditch tackles he has to make because he was 2 weeks away from his position.

If only England could get the best out of Rooney and Cleverley and Gerrard who are far more switched on for their clubs. Faster and more enthusiastic

If only England could get the best out of Rooney and Cleverley and Gerrard who are far more switched on for their clubs. Faster and more enthusiastic

You forgot Hodgson, there's no way it's gonna happen. Or man has totally changed his style since being head coach of Finnish National Team (and that wasn't too long ago)

England are average.. What do you expect?

How many of our players would get into the likes of Italys, Germanys, Spains, Portugals, Frances starting 11?

Rooney that's it.. (Hart wouldn't make any difference ahead of lloris, Neuer, Casillas, Buffon etc.)

And Rooneys position for England can easily be covered by Ribery, Ozil, Ronaldo, Iniesta, Montolivo etc..

We just need to accept that our team is distinctly average and the only way we are going to win a tournament is to have Chelsea style tactics and stiffle the opposition.. England and Roy did an amazing job to reach penatlies against Italy who were so vastly superior it was embarassing..

Italy vs England is the same as England vs Scotland.. The difference in quality and technical ability is huge..

A draw away at Poland isn't that bad given that over the past year top sides like Mexico, Argentina, Russia and Portugal have also failed to win there..

How's Rooney getting a game for Italy, Germany and Spain?

I like how you put Mexico in there. Are they a top side now they've won an Olympic gold medal? The sad thing is, mind, England are slipping behind.

Why wouldn't I put Mexico in there? They are a top side easily.. They had one of the hardest WC groups and got through, they constantly win the Gold Cup (beating the US over and over again at ease something England can't do), they're U-17 world champions, olympic gold winners, they've made it past the group stages of the past 5 world cups dating back to 1994.. Losing unluckily to Argentina the past 2 WCs.. They've won 5 of the past 7 games against Brazil (name me another nation with a similar record)

In my time watching football England have only a Euro 1996 semi-final to their name.. Mexico has achieved alot more..

Why wouldn't I put Mexico in there? They are a top side easily.. They had one of the hardest WC groups and got through, they constantly win the Gold Cup (beating the US over and over again at ease something England can't do), they're U-17 world champions, olympic gold winners, they've made it past the group stages of the past 5 world cups dating back to 1994.. Losing unluckily to Argentina the past 2 WCs.. They've won 5 of the past 7 games against Brazil (name me another nation with a similar record)

In my time watching football England have only a Euro 1996 semi-final to their name.. Mexico has achieved alot more..

I've never seen Mexico beat England.

ETA - England last lost against Mexico in 1985, 1-0 in Mexico itself. For a top team that's poor.

Archived