Southampton

Excellent decision..

Following in Swanseas footsteps by picking up a quality foreign manager who can get his team to perform well by playing good football and doing so by picking up cheap quality players from abroad..

It seems mad, but actually it's a very astute move and it will take them onto the next level.. A level beyond what only a half decent English manager with limited knowledge of the foreign game could do.. Feck me another club I'm jealous of now..

Also couldn't have happened at a better time.. Now that Saints are safe, and they'll easily stay up, they could attract someone like Pochettino.. I'm stunned this has been taken any other way..

What?!

I think Adkins has probably taken them as far as they can go, and at some point would need to be replaced. But to do it now, half way through a transfer window in a relegation dogfight seems odd. To bring someone in with zero experience of English football makes this even more insane. It also looks like he took Espanyol to bottom before getting the chop.

I'm confused as to how you conclude they're safe already. They're 3 points off the bottom three with 16 games remaining. QPR, Reading and Wigan are all picking up points along the way.

I suspect you think this is so astute because he's Spanish and will bring Spanish players to grace the PL, but that's all dependent on them surviving. I doubt this guy is going to have new manager syndrome where they win the first few. It's a very unpopular decision to replace Adkins, and in addition they have Everton, Man United, Wigan and City coming up. I'd give them a maximum of three points from those four games - there's every chance they'll be in the bottom three by the end of February.

Adkins seems too happy to just be in that league and they probably do need to freshen it up but the least he deserved was the chance to see it through and keep them up. This could have been done properly, in the summer. Then they could build like Swansea, as you mentioned. This guy now has two weeks to put a team together and motivate them (through an interpreter!) to stay in the league - undoubtedly, other clubs will see them as relegation fodder now.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Speaking through an interpreter, Pochettino said: "I know about the squad because I've been researching them for several weeks." BBC.

Two things that I find wrong with this appointment, first, he's been in line for the job for 'weeks', presumably having spoken to Southampton. And second, he can't speak English so how is he going to communicate with the players?? Ah I don't understand this at all.

Ever likely people are becoming disillusioned with football takes them up 2 leagues and his thanks is a sacking. This is another reason why i'm quite happy wih the way were managed yes Nigel makes poor decisions at times but at least he's given the time and patience to get it right, sound solid foundations layed to progress.

Ever likely people are becoming disillusioned with football takes them up 2 leagues and his thanks is a sacking. This is another reason why i'm quite happy wih the way were managed yes Nigel makes poor decisions at times but at least he's given the time and patience to get it right, sound solid foundations layed to progress.

Clough has done a great job, minimal investment and has had to buy from lower leagues to lower wages, and at the same time has been steadily improving the squad. Did the same thing at Burton, 10 years and two promotions, slow and steady wins the race.

Adkins strikes me as being an honourable man and a good manager, which is why this decision seems so tough. However, I am sure he will be well recompensed and will find a new job quickly, which is more than could be said of the likes of us. Don't feel any sadder for Adkins than those losing their jobs at Honda, HMV, Blockbusters etc.

The owners of the Club see Pochettino as the man for the future, building a dynamic youth system and attracting players from big clubs. It's a gamble and may not pay off. But that's the kind of decisions upper management have to live and die by. When the fuss dies down, this may prove to be a masterstroke.

i hope they go down for that... 2 promotions in a row and you sack him in january. thats gratitude is that. cheers boss. thanks for the memories..

on a plus note though... bet forest wish they hadnt just appointed big old ginger fat neck.... HAW HAW

I don't - the people that would punish above all else is the fans - and they had pretty well unanimously backed Adkins

Archived