First in England

chris

My first and probably last post. Bayern Munich, Dortmund and Celtic supporters have organised err crowd funded donations for refugee/migrant charities, which is obviously good and an added bonus of decent PR for the club. Good idea for us too?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first and probably last post. Bayern Munich, Dortmund and Celtic supporters have organised err crowd funded donations for refugee/migrant charities, which is obviously good and an added bonus of decent PR for the club. Good idea for us too?

Thanks Chris but I don't think any of us will mind too much if you don't post again. 

http://www.redcross.org.uk/About-us/Media-centre/Press-releases/2015/September/British-Red-Cross-launches-urgent-appeal-for-Europe-refugee-crisis

They already run a refugee settlement project here in Derby, although this appeal is about their wider humanitarian aid, I think. 

The British Red Cross has launched an emergency appeal as the refugee crisis in Europe continues to escalate, with hundreds of thousands of people in desperate need of emergency relief.

The number of people forced to flee violence and conflict today is the highest since World War II. Many people are dying on these dangerous journeys to safety in Europe and those that do make it are being subjected to immense suffering.

Countries across the continent are struggling to provide basic support for those arriving, meaning organisations like the Red Cross are on the frontline of this emergency.

Head of emergencies for the Red Cross, Ben Webster, said: “People are arriving in Europe with very little – some only a family photo and the clothes they left in. “

“We urgently need supplies such as food, water, nappies and hygiene kits as well as emergency medical treatment – your support can make a huge difference.”

Red Cross volunteers across Europe are working around the clock to support hundreds of thousands of refugees as they attempt to reach safety – from Turkey to Hungary to Greece to the UK, the Red Cross is striving to support people who flee war and persecution.

“We are in the midst of one of the biggest humanitarian disasters of our time.  Millions of people are being forced to risk their lives in a desperate search for safety as conflicts rage around the world,” Webster said.

To donate, go to: www.redcross.org.uk/refugeecrisis

Its not a bad idea, would be better if it was football league/premier league led as i dont think getting good PR is why we should be doing anything.

I see posts have been deleted to. Probably not a bad thing as they dont offer anything constructive to the discussion.

What annoys me, more than any nasty post on here, is the two faced way our media handles this. For years its been all about how terrible it is people are coming here, and that they are just coming here because we are a soft touch, and now its a humanitarian crisis they are demanding something is done. Had they not clouded peoples judgement for years we may, as a country, be more accepting of asylum seekers.

There are so many misconceptions...such as:

1. People just want to come here to have an easy life and live off benefits - in actual fact people what to come here to have A life and not live in fear in the country they come from.

2. People only want to come here, why doesnt anyone else take them - in fact we take much less than most, most of our migration is from what you would consider legitimate migration from EU countries. We only get a small percentage and that is because people speak english so think they will fair better here, or they already have family.

3. Our border control is poor and thats why they come here, and thats why there is such a problem in Calais - in actual fact its because our borders are very secure that there are people in calais. In other EU countries people move freely across borders.

I cant imagine what people must go through to leave everything behind and attempt to get 'somewhere' they can live some sort of life without fear. The issue with calais is just a drop in the ocean, or the tip of the iceberg whatever you want to call it. More refugees have died on boats, or in lorries this year than are currently in calais.

Why has this thread been edited?

I think people should be able to see the nastiness in those deleted posts.

I agree. Mostly because some people only want to know some facts and not all of them. Good luck with the campaign but I hope we show the correct support. To camps in Turkey and Jordan for example. Not encouraging more people to cross the Mediterranean. 1 in 25 people who have attempted to cross this year have drowned. Many have been purposely thrown overboard. It's a very sad state of affairs and the international response has been utterly incompetent. 

Archived