Derby Must Avoid a "draconian" Review

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​I always appreciate a well constructed argument mate - even if I don't always agree with them. But that's the point ain't it. And fair play for standing your ground on Jewell - you were proven right in the end!

I too miss the old 606 - in fact all of the bbc forums had a much better look and feel to them than they do now. Never use it any more - this is the place for me.

​I always try and treat any debate as if I was sitting in the boozer having it. If someone just said "yes" or "no" to me in the pub, I'd literally demand that they back it up with reasoning. Same on here, and I always try to back my own POV with reasons, even if that reasoning is wrong.

I've always been baffled by the aggression people have had towards other posters over the years. I've had debates with the old-school hooligans in the pub and they laugh it off, but cos it's t'interwebs, people think it's more personal.

​I thought the 6 was either the number of "likes" or the numerical incarnation of Mostyn - assuming he's the same chap that used to be on the 606 forum under such sobriquets as "Mostyn Powers - the voice of reason" and "Mostynao".

I could be completely wrong of course. But there can't be that many irascible sods with the same name who wish to share pearls of wisdom on the Rams, surely?

​I always assumed he was destined to be our left sided centre back playing along side Richard Keogh. Now that I would pay money to see...............

The number of times we conceded 2 or more, is ultimately more significant than the number of clean sheets.

2014-15    21 of 46 ; 16 clean sheets 

2013-14    12 of 46 ; 13 clean sheets 

by comparison

2006-7 billy davies promotion  - 12 of 46 ; 15 clean sheets 

1995 - 6 jim smith promotion  -  12 of 46 ; 14 clean sheets 

So.....in those 21 matches where we conceded 2 or more - we had 8 draws,  and 5 defeats by 1 goal 

If had conceded 1 goal less in those games we would have picked up we an extra 21 points 

the real damage was done in the 8 draws - 4 at home, 4 away.

D 2-2 : 5 times - watford H, Norwich H, birmingham H, cardiff H, bournemouth A

D 3-3 : 2 times - rotherham A, Millwall A

D 4-4 : 1 time - Huddersfield A 

Some interesting points on this thread. 

As I have said many times, I have never thought that Keogh Is any good, add on to that the disastrous signing of the Spanish donkey and throw in a few injuries to our best players and you have a perfect storm for failure. 

I think people are remembering Shackell with the same rose tinted glasses on that they remember Barkers performances for us and to an extent Buxtons  

All 3 of them were decent enough centre halves for us, but they weren't outstanding and as much as I dislike Keogh I am not sure that Shackell is really that much of an improvement on him, the one thing that you cannot deny about Keogh is that he genuinely cares about his performance, the teams performance, his team mates, being captain and taking the club as a whole forward if we are to believe all the rumours surrounding Shackells exit last time he definitely doesn't believe in those things  

so to conclude.....I have no idea what we have to do, other than conceded a load less, score a load more and win more games...!

(boro looked good last night I thought-hope they go up)

In the above 8 draws the biggest single factor that cost us was goals conceded from corners.

we conceded from corners v cardiff, norwich, birmingham, huddersfield x 2, and millwall we conceded a penslty from a corner.

10 vital points lost due to conceding from corners

Wholesale changes needed at the back, and deeper cover in the DM position. 

We scored 100+ goals again last season so it isn't rocket science to see where the issues lay. Similar to Liverpool in their nearly season. 

Our ball retention and possession % is high, our goals scored are high... our individual errors, organisational skills at the back (set pieces etc) are what has ultimately cost us. 

What's the definition of insanity again? Leave the defence as it is, and we aren't going anywhere. 

Our ball retention and possession % is high, our goals scored are high... our individual errors, organisational skills at the back (set pieces etc) are what has ultimately cost us. 

What's the definition of insanity again? Leave the defence as it is, and we aren't going anywhere. 

Yes but when I made the same point a number of weeks ago many posters on here countered that it was outside of McClarens sphere of influence to stop players making basic errors once they'd crossed the white line, might as well look forward to the same next season then

Wholesale changes needed at the back, and deeper cover in the DM position. 

We scored 100+ goals again last season so it isn't rocket science to see where the issues lay. Similar to Liverpool in their nearly season. 

​Changes are needed - but not just personel - our systems seem flawed. In fact, re-watching some of the horror shows from the "Story so Far" thread, you struggle to discern ANY system to our defensive play at times.

There are a number of things better coaching can improve....not ball-watching (track the runners), no swarming to the ball, better understanding between combinations of fullbacks and centrebacks.

And don't keep chopping and changing unless absolutely necessary.

Yes but when I made the same point a number of weeks ago many posters on here countered that it was outside of McClarens sphere of influence to stop players making basic errors once they'd crossed the white line, might as well look forward to the same next season then

​Don't pick them then. That would be my attitude. If you can't stop those players being ******, replace em. 

In the above 8 draws the biggest single factor that cost us was goals conceded from corners.

we conceded from corners v cardiff, norwich, birmingham, huddersfield x 2, and millwall we conceded a penslty from a corner.

10 vital points lost due to conceding from corners

I remember the 2012/13 season had us conceding the most goals in the league from headers (both open play and set piece situations) but I really thought this was an area we'd improved in. It seems not,  although perhaps it is just another case of timing / relevance to result over sheer numbers. Either way...

...for years we've needed either a truly dominant centre back (spot the recurring theme) or a keeper with some authority who can boss his defenders around a bit, one who's comfortable coming off his line to claim the ball and will wipe out his own defenders to do so - you were criticised for your view of Lee Grant, but this is definitely one of his weaker points, he's often stood on his line flapping as the defenders infront of him fall over themselves, there's no organisation from anyone.

​Don't pick them then. That would be my attitude. If you can't stop those players being ******, replace em. 

​Now that is the beginning of a good plan. I would start with any player who thinks it is a good idea not to stay on his feet.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived