Johnny Russell

Ramchope

NEIL LENNON is weighing up a shock swoop for veteran Republic of Ireland stopper Richard Dunne.

And the Celtic boss could also beat Derby to the £800,000 signing of Dundee United striker Johnny Russell.

Dunne, 33, did not play at all for Aston Villa last season after a series of injuries.

Lennon said: “Richard is a player I’ve always known and always liked. He has not played for a long time and I don’t know what kind of condition he is in.

“The way we have been signing players over the years, he would fall out of that category.

“But we have signed players like Daniel Majstorovic and it is good to have one or two experienced players in.”

Celts need central defensive reinforcements with Thomas Rogne and Rami Gershon heading out.

Dunne played for 25 minutes of Ireland’s friendly win over Georgia on Sunday — his first match since Euro 2012.

Irish boss Giovanni Trapattoni is ready to throw him in to Friday’s World Cup qualifier against the Faroes, as well as next week’s friendly with Spain in the USA.

And Lennon, who was in Dublin yesterday to promote the Hoops’ pre-season clash with Liverpool, will monitor Dunne’s form and fitness.

Lennon has also confirmed he remains in the hunt for United hitman Russell.

The Arabs have agreed a fee with Derby for the 23-year-old Scotland ace, who wants time to consider his options.

Lennon added: “We like Russell as a player and always have done. We are monitoring the situation at the minute.”

Celtic also have Vitoria Guimaraes hitman Amido Balde on their radar as they prepare for the new campaign.

But Lennon fears bids for Victor Wanyama, with Arsenal, Inter Milan, Stoke, Newcastle and Southampton all keen.

He said: “Balde is a player we have scouted and looks the type we would like, but whether we can get a deal done or not, I don’t know.

“He is a big striker and has the physical attributes we are looking for, but he is interesting other clubs as well.

“I would expect a bid for Victor Wanyama but I don’t know who from.

“With a player of that talent, I would think that eventually somebody will put a phone call in.”

Lennon does not expect any movement with keeper Fraser Forster.

He said: “Fraser is on a long-term contract and although every player has his price, I don’t want him going anywhere.”

Meanwhile, former St Mirren loan star Conor Newton would love the chance of a switch to Celtic.

Newcastle youngster Newton and pal Paul Dummett were loaned to the Buddies last season.

Midfielder Newton, 21, and left-back Dummett both played major roles as Saints won the League Cup.

They have been offered new deals by Toon gaffer Alan Pardew — but Newton would love a move to the SPL champs.

He said: “A move to Celtic would interest anyone. I would definitely consider it, but I have not heard anything from them yet.

“I have not signed on with Newcastle yet, but there is a new deal on the table. I need to have a proper look at it once I get myself together.

“The past six months is probably the most football I have played in my career, so I just need to rest up for a few weeks.

“I understand there is an offer from St Mirren as well so that is definitely still a possibility.

“I would like to have made my decision within the next two weeks as the start of the season is not far off.

“It’s a big decision on whether I stay with Newcastle or move on. I’ve been at the club since I was a kid so it would be a huge move to leave.”

Sounds ominous from our point of view. Also interesting to note that the headline of the article is "Johnny's a Dunne deal".

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DERBY County remain in the hunt to sign Johnny Russell – as speculation surrounding the Dundee United striker mounts.

It was widely reported north of the border yesterday that a bid for Russell from the Rams, thought to be around £750,000, had been accepted.

However, Derby last night insisted that talks between the two clubs were still ongoing regarding a deal to bring the 23-year-old front man to Pride Park.

DEAL

Free Fitting

Gemini Energy SaversView Details

United are resigned to losing Russell, who has 12 months to run on his current contract, this summer, though his destination is unclear.

Scottish champions Celtic are said to be monitoring the situation, having identified Russell as a possible replacement for Gary Hooper, who is being linked with a return to England. If the Parkhead club did make a move, the lure of Champions League football could be hard for the player to turn down.

Derby are looking to bolster their attacking options during the close season and have already secured the permanent services of former loanee Chris Martin from Norwich City.

“I think the club are getting closer to agreeing a fee with Derby for Johnny,” said United boss Jackie McNamara.

“If they agree, it will then be down to the player. There’s been a lot of speculation and I think it would be good if it were to be brought to a speedy conclusion.

“It really is up to Johnny and his agent whether this is the right move for him.

“If he doesn’t want to go there, it will not be done. Nothing has been done yet.”

Russell was United’s top scorer last season with 20 goals in 38 games.

He missed two months of the campaign because of a broken leg but returned to action for the final three games.

In total, the former Scotland Under-21 international has netted 46 goals in 120 appearances for the club.

Russell is currently on holiday, so even if a fee was agreed, the signing is unlikely to be completed straight away.

Derby’s list of striker targets also includes Norwich City front man James Vaughan, although Huddersfield Town want him too.

Latest in the saga was posted in the derby telegraph website this morning

That articles from yesterday.. We've had a bid accepted, it's obvious.. It's on the BBC for gods sake, it's just Derby are keeping it on the down low just Incase he rejects us. Why would the club publically come out and say we've had a bid accepted, when the player hasnt made his choice yet

Scottish papers bum Celtic because they make the up the majority of fans - more sales of their papers. Just because he's monitoring the situation doesn't mean he's ready to bid. Celtic agreed a deal for a striker yesterday, as well as Lennon saying in an Interview they want Kevin Doyle, so just wait and see, how many strikers do they want?

I think this Russell deal will be wrapped up before Hooper's gone. Lennon won't buy him unless Hooper's gone, which isn't happening anytime soon. And will missing out on Russell really be that big of a deal for Celtic? They're a CL club who will most likely have at least 8 million on their hands after the sale of Hooper and a whole world of strikers who'd be willing to come to them. They won't pull out their finger to get him and he won't be willing to go there if there's still a possibility he'll have to play 3rd fiddle to Hooper and that Portuguese lad.

And that's IF Hooper is even leaving.

So calm down!

Just because Derby are saying it doesn't mean it's true.

Remember when Conor Sammon watched the Wednesday game but the club said he was there to watch his mate Bryson? Two days later he signed for the club. They don't want to come out and say they've had a bid accepted because he could still turn us down. Anything could happen yet. The DET just post what the club say, could be true or false. Remember the BBC have said a bids been accepted. As far as I'm concerned it has.

BEST COMMENT EVER - From BBC/Football

"68.

King kong
7 Hours ago

I dont know this jonny russel guy but still wouldn't buy this guy for even 7.5p.
He plays for dundee utd for goodness sake.

This is why derby county have slipped and are never gonna get back to the EPL.
In fact I see administration looming"

BEST COMMENT EVER - From BBC/Football

"68.

King kong7 Hours ago

I dont know this jonny russel guy but still wouldn't buy this guy for even 7.5p.

He plays for dundee utd for goodness sake.

This is why derby county have slipped and are never gonna get back to the EPL.

In fact I see administration looming"

tell you what, he has a point,

Archived