Johnny Russell

Ramchope

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

£750,000 up front is a lot of money for a person with a year left on his contract, never mind with extras on top - that could push it to near a £1 million.

If we're struggling to get him for under a million i'd consider walking away

So an unproven player from Scotland is our top target?

Quite funny considering all Sam Rush mentioned at the forums was us bringing experienced players at this level to the club ;)

It is virtually impossible for a Championship club to sign/buy a quality proven striker with a good goal-scoring record at Championship level. The real proven ones go to Premier League clubs or to Glasgow for guaranteed European football. At present Austin is probably the most gettable, but we'd have to fork out over £5m and break our wage budget to bits. I'm not saying that this would necessarily be a bad thing, but it is easy to understand why owners would baulk at such a move.

Championship clubs tend to scrap over the top lower league, Scottish (outside Old Firm) and Irish strikers, with the odd 'proven but injury prone' Championship level striker thrown in.

It is my opinion that the best we can hope for are Russell, Grigg, Pope or Madden. I'm hoping that we don't attempt to rehabilitate a crock such as Vaughan or Waghorn.

£750,000 up front is a lot of money for a person with a year left on his contract, never mind with extras on top - that could push it to near a £1 million.

Are you GSE in disguise?

That's why we're paying a million for him though - if he had 3, they would be asking for double that at least I would imagine. 

That's why we're paying a million for him though - if he had 3, they would be asking for double that at least I would imagine. 

We're not paying anything for him yet, we still haven't had an offer accepted!

Good sign then?

Yeah, I am in no doubts he is telling the truth - and no doubt will notify us (the public) if it gets accepted or declined. 

I would say at the minute, it's news... I don't think Dundee will be willing to bite our arm off with the offer - but for them not to throw it back in our faces already, then - I think we're about there. 

Yeah, I am in no doubts he is telling the truth - and no doubt will notify us (the public) if it gets accepted or declined.

Good :) I'm getting so excited. We need a player like him who's just going to have a shot from the edge of the box and more than likely score!

I would say at the minute, it's news... I don't think Dundee will be willing to bite our arm off with the offer - but for them not to throw it back in our faces already, then - I think we're about there.

Archived