Johnny Russell

Ramchope

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said at the start of the season that I expect about 6-12 goals from Sammon based on his record in Scotland, and what do you know...

Must have been a different Albert that did the same sort of thing when Sammon signed and said :-

"Conor sammon's best season in the SPL saw him score 15 in 23 games, whilst he scored 17 in 65 overall. If we take this as the upper and lower bounds of his scoring rate and use our SPL conversion then in a season where he manages to play 40 times we would expect him to score somewhere between 7 and 17 goals. That would represent a good return, especially if he does offer that hard working forward aspect up front. Let's see how he gets on here." :)          

So Russel won't join us because he'd rather play for Celtic than an NPC side, but Hooper will leave Celtic for an NPC side?

I didn't come up with it. 

Also worth noting that sentences start with a capital letter.

actually it's grammar Nazis. Plural not an attribute or item belonging to a proper noun.

You missed capital 'N' for Nazis. :p

Must have been a different Albert that did the same sort of thing when Sammon signed and said :-

"Conor sammon's best season in the SPL saw him score 15 in 23 games, whilst he scored 17 in 65 overall. If we take this as the upper and lower bounds of his scoring rate and use our SPL conversion then in a season where he manages to play 40 times we would expect him to score somewhere between 7 and 17 goals. That would represent a good return, especially if he does offer that hard working forward aspect up front. Let's see how he gets on here." :)

Do you have the page that was on. In related discussions, I'm pretty sure it was on the same thread. I'm pretty sure that I also said around there somewhere that 8 was the point I'd be happy with him at.

That prediction was pretty good too anyhow all things considered.

Do you have the page that was on. In related discussions, I'm pretty sure it was on the same thread. I'm pretty sure that I also said around there somewhere that 8 was the point I'd be happy with him at.

Not to piss on your bonfire, but anyone could get that a striker which plays nearly every game for a whole season will score anywhere between 7 and 17 goals. It's hardly a close margin.

Not to piss on your bonfire, but anyone could get that a striker which plays nearly every game for a whole season will score anywhere between 7 and 17 goals. It's hardly a close margin.

I was more interested in the other things I said around there, particularly the 8 being a passing grade for him with the type of player he was comment.

You can use the search button, I didnt read it all, so you may have done although I didnt see that.

You gave yourself a 10 goal buffer, and only just made it in, you arent really going to claim a good prediction surely :D

You can use the search button, I didnt read it all, so you may have done although I didnt see that.

You gave yourself a 10 goal buffer, and only just made it in, you arent really going to claim a good prediction surely :D

Not on that one, but it was the related one I'm interested in.

This was the post that Leeds Ram was quoting:

So, I've just quickly thrown together a list of players who've played in the Championship and SPL and plotted their goals for game in the SPL against their goals per game in the Championship. The result is the strikers who have played in both score roughly 0.648 times their SPL scoring rate in the Championship. Below is that plot which used 15 players all of whom have made the top 10 scorers in the SPL:

"ePYgR" alt="ePYgR">

There is an obvious chance of selection bias here as only players who had good records in Scotland were used. The red dotted line represents a 1:1 ratio between the two league and the green dotted line represents a 2:1 ratio (with SPL Goals: Championship goals).

Conor Sammon's best season in the SPL saw him score 15 in 23 games, whilst he scored 17 in 65 overall. If we take this as the upper and lower bounds of his scoring rate and use our SPL conversion then in a season where he manages to play 40 times we would expect him to score somewhere between 7 and 17 goals. That would represent a good return, especially if he does offer that hard working forward aspect up front. Let's see how he gets on here.

That seems bizarrely close to the discussion here. Not the prediction, but just discussing the Scottish Premier League scoring rates to the Championship.

This was the post that Leeds Ram was quoting: That seems bizarrely close to the discussion here. Not the prediction, but just discussing the Scottish Premier League scoring rates to the Championship.

isn't the 7-17 just the upper and lower bounds of your prediction? Is it possible to figure out mean goals scored?

Here's another one from the same sort of time:

We have sold an injury prone nothing striker who's entire game was about scoring. He had a sweet left boot, and he could do a job, but he couldn't hold it up and didn't work hard enough.

As for Sammon, he is a good player who can hold the ball up and bring others into play, something we had been missing for years. If he can do this job, I honestly don't care if he doesn't get to 5 goals this season as he'll create more chances for the side (note, this is different to assists) and ultimately make it a better side. If we had a player like him against Wednesday, we could have done a lot better late on.

Also, proven Championship goalscorer? You're having a laugh aren't you? Here is Davies Championship goal returns:

2008-09: 3

2009-10: 1

2010-11: 5

2011-12: 12

What a career!!! Compare this to Theo:

2008-09: 7 (League One)

2009-10: 13 (League One)

2010-11: 5

2011-12: 10

In fact, Sammon's last season playing regularly he got 15 in 23 games. Now, everyone says its a bit easier to score in Scotland, and I've previous found that players score a bit over half in the Championship to what they score in Scotland (Scott McDonald and Kris Boyd were key examples), so lets just take half as a rough guess. That means Sammon would score about 7-8 goals over 23 games, and as the Championship season is 46 games, this would go to roughly 15 goals. I'd be alright with that to be honest, its certainly better than Davies' best return at this level. Honestly though, I think he'll get somewhere between 5-10, but I feel he's general play with help the side overall, as Kuqi's did during the purple patch of 2010-11.

Anyhow, I'm sorry that you preferred Davies, but he's gone now, get over it.

Key point:

- If he scored as he did in the SPL that season in the Championship he'd get around 15, but I thought it would probably be more like 5-10

Archived