Johnny Russell

Ramchope

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ward will play mostly outwide this season, given that we have no other good wide players.

You might aswell forget about ward as a central attacking threat.

Jacobs hasnt stepped up to the mark like we hoped he would.

Coutts is a central player playing outwide, and went off the boil second half of last season.

And.... who else do we have.

We certainly didnt go out and get Burke, who we were crying out for even more than a CF.

I disagree - a striker was our biggest issue for me, the amount of chances we created must have been the most in the league by some margin! didn't we put in 30 crosses against Burnley (the average in the championship is 6) and so on so forth.

Jacobs has done very well to say he is 21 - he had a lot of learning and perhaps did right by not throwing him to the sharks! 

Jacobs and Freeman are two players I expect to have more input next season anyway, especially if we're rotating the squad.

I can see us playing Ward, Russel and Sammon upfront - Russell did start out as a right winger, and Ward on the left.

it will require tonnes of energy in the middle of the park, but I think if we can get it right - it will suit our style! 

Yeah. What i think as well. Cloughs said he wants to operate 3 in midfield. To do this he needed a Russell type player. Bit of pace, can play on the wing (has done for Dundee United) but has a real eye for goal and can play up top if we change out style. From what I've seen he's very similar to Ward. I think they'll complement each other well. 

Yeah. What i think as well. Cloughs said he wants to operate 3 in midfield. To do this he needed a Russell type player. Bit of pace, can play on the wing (has done for Dundee United) but has a real eye for goal and can play up top if we change out style. From what I've seen he's very similar to Ward. I think they'll complement each other well. 

Russell has been complimented on his work rate too, Ward and Russell are of similar ilk - both feeding off Sammon and obviously our midfield gives me confidence.

Hendrick, Bryson, Coutts and Hughes in the middle

Jacobs/Ward on the left

Russell/Coutts on the right

Sammon/Martin in the centre.

Ward will play mostly outwide this season, given that we have no other good wide players.

You might aswell forget about ward as a central attacking threat.

Jacobs hasnt stepped up to the mark like we hoped he would.

Coutts is a central player playing outwide, and went off the boil second half of last season.

And.... who else do we have.

We certainly didnt go out and get Burke, who we were crying out for even more than a CF.

Bit harsh on Jacobs as on his day he can be a real threat.

To be honest I think sammon will have more impact coming on in the last 30 but Martin will need a rest as you can tell he gets lazy towards the end

I agree. Sammon works his socks off and tires out centre-halves. The problem is by about 65 mins he's too tired himself to capitalise. I think two from Russell, Ward and Martin would provide a more potent threat whilst the defenders are fresh and the introduction of Sammon later on would put him up against some exhausted legs. I can see him galloping past some players and scoring a lot more goals with less pitch time and less pressure.

Russell has been complimented on his work rate too, Ward and Russell are of similar ilk - both feeding off Sammon and obviously our midfield gives me confidence.

Jacobs/Ward on the left

That's exactly how i see it panning out this season. Competition for places, variety of formations to suit the occasion. I dont think we'll be far off the best attacking side in the division if this comes to fruition...

Getting forsyth and a quality cb are very impotant for me, no problem with bucko but we need to cover or improve on him if we can.

I agree. Sammon works his socks off and tires out centre-halves. The problem is by about 65 mins he's too tired himself to capitalise. I think two from Russell, Ward and Martin would provide a more potent threat whilst the defenders are fresh and the introduction of Sammon later on would put him up against some exhausted legs. I can see him galloping past some players and scoring a lot more goals with less pitch time and less pressure.

Take in note the millwal game when he came on and caused trouble! Of what I've seen Martin has a good touch and can play a good ball threw, I'd like to see Russell or ward chasing and causing trouble!

Is till reckon we need a pacey RM

Jacobs/Ward on the left

Looks promising to me

I personally can't see Coutts playing on the right a lot this season. If everything goes to plan and we sign another winger (Taylor?) then I see Coutts primarily being a CM, rotating with Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson. I think that is a good idea if we are going to be playing 433 with 3 CM's, injuries, suspensions and fatigue will come into play.

I don't like what his agent has said! Just hope moor farm will give him enough to sign on Monday!

Yeah, i'm not impressed at all by what his agent said...basically encouraging other clubs to make an offer.

Doubt Nige and Sam will be too impressed either but they can't really say too much if they want Russell enough.

Yeah, can't see any other outcome personally - I like how today has gone so far (quiet) no bullshit celtic fans crying! 

True but when do we do anything smoothly. Think today is vital in his decision and it is going well.

Celtic lost interest when we agreed terms I think. Sky said it and reliable Scotland sources also said it. I am always worried someone new is going to pop up and make a bid.

Can't see any other formation than 4-3-3 personally.

To start with, we all know Clough likes playing all 3 of Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson. If we were playing a 4 in midfield, that means either Bryson or Hughes would have to play on the left, meaning Ward will miss out unless playing up front. However, in a 2 up front formation, I can't see that considering we've just signed/signing 2 strikers and we have Sammon (who almost certainly isn't going to get dropped). Ward could play on the right but doubt Clough will start him there.

Sammon and Russell will be the ones pencilled in to start and with Clough always wanting to play Ward, Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson, there's no other formation that's compatible other than 4-3-3.

Grant

Brayford Keogh New Forsyth

Hendrick Bryson Hughes

Russell Sammon Ward

I'd put money on that.

Edit - Also just seen the article about "Conor's delight". I think it would be odd to come out and say that if there's any doubt at all that he might not come here. Maybe the club know for a fact Celtic aren't interested?

Archived