Transfer Spending

Stedcfc

So far we've signed 4 first team players when Clough originally said he only expected to buy 3 or 4. It now seems we could be signing as many as 3 further players along with a handful or younger players for the U21 league.

If rumours of a fee for Sammon of over £1mil are true do people still believe we only got just over £1 mil for Shackell?

I get the feeling we got significantly more, either that or theres been a change of heart from the board on whether they want to invest money.

A striker or 2 and further full back cover would put us in a very good position indeed.

It seems odd that just 2 weeks ago it was there will be no movement until Steve Davies goes, however today Clough says he expects a striker before Saturday?

Maybe the 25 shots on target against Ssausagehorpe with just 5 goals made Clough realise we are desperate for one?

I'd fancy my chances getting a few goals for Derby with the service they should get this season!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far we've signed 4 first team players when Clough originally said he only expected to buy 3 or 4. It now seems we could be signing as many as 3 further players along with a handful or younger players for the U21 league.

If rumours of a fee for Sammon of over £1mil are true do people still believe we only got just over £1 mil for Shackell?

I get the feeling we got significantly more, either that or theres been a change of heart from the board on whether they want to invest money.

A striker or 2 and further full back cover would put us in a very good position indeed.

It seems odd that just 2 weeks ago it was there will be no movement until Steve Davies goes, however today Clough says he expects a striker before Saturday?

Maybe the 25 shots on target against Ssausagehorpe with just 5 goals made Clough realise we are desperate for one?

I'd fancy my chances getting a few goals for Derby with the service they should get this season!

Not sure if the fee for shacks has had much bearing on the spending to be honest. I think that Clough has probably had more control over how much we have been spending than people realise- he has made some very good signings IMO for good prices also. I think that if Nige wants someone and he genuinely believes that they will strengthen the team then the money is there to spend if he thinks that they are worth it and it doesn't result in a top heavy squad.

The wage bill is more of an issue I think and that governs the " must sell to buy" that we have been spouting. There is no point paying the wages of more players than we need

Of course it was £1.1m max

If it was more then they would have shouted it from the rooftops to take the pressure off themselves.

I think the board would care more about other teams knowing we have money than the fans being pissed off for a while before we replace him.

If we do get Freeman and Sammon in this could prove to of been a very good transfer window, especially considering all of our good young players seem to of gone under the radar and aren't being put on the market to the highest bidder as they have in the past.

Of course it was £1.1m max

If it was more then they would have shouted it from the rooftops to take the pressure off themselves.

Or not tell anyone and then let us think they have made their first positive spend transfer window.

Coins have 2 sides.

Oh and if we had got more and try spouted it all over the media and then didn't spend it all they'd get hung

I agree with the OP - the more I see of our transfer activity this window, the more I'm convinced that we got a lot closer to £2m for Shackell. Another poster on here (G Star Ram?) said that a Burnley shareholder told him the fee was £1.7m & although he was shouted down by many on here, I'm inclined to believe that.

Quite simply, why would we sell Shackell for £1.1m & buy Keogh for the same amount/slightly more? It makes no sense at all and no, I don't buy the theory that the board panicked after failing to get Lynch. Maybe I'm being naive but I think the board may have played a blinder in not revealing how much they got off Burnley & hoodwinking Coventry (who may have asked for more for Keogh had they known how much we got for Shackell on the basis of "well if Shackell is worth £2m, Keogh is at least as good etc")

I also reckon Maguire's fee was larger than the reputed £250k - it always puzzled me how a player bought for circa £450k who had a successful loan spell in this division & attracted a decent amount of interest would go for a loss.

Disclaimer: this post pre-supposes Sammon being bought & I am certainly not a board apologist - this episode if positive would be a rare shining light in a generally inept 4 year spell by GSE with regard to player purchases & sales

So your saying that schackells money has paid for all the 4 signings?

I personally think it hasnt.

Addison - jacobs

Maguire - Coutts

Some of shacks money for keogh

Hoganson gjokaj wont cost a lot anyway So I'd say there's still most of schacks money left for sammon or another striker 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I got a good feeling this seasons our year!

Addison - jacobs

Maguire - Coutts

Hoganson gjokaj wont cost a lot anyway So I'd say there's still most of schacks money left for sammon or another striker 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Keogh cost more than we paid for Barker do that will have taken up most of Shackells money.

I agree with the OP - the more I see of our transfer activity this window, the more I'm convinced that we got a lot closer to £2m for Shackell. Another poster on here (G Star Ram?) said that a Burnley shareholder told him the fee was £1.7m & although he was shouted down by many on here, I'm inclined to believe that.

Quite simply, why would we sell Shackell for £1.1m & buy Keogh for the same amount/slightly more? It makes no sense at all and no, I don't buy the theory that the board panicked after failing to get Lynch. Maybe I'm being naive but I think the board may have played a blinder in not revealing how much they got off Burnley & hoodwinking Coventry (who may have asked for more for Keogh had they known how much we got for Shackell on the basis of "well if Shackell is worth £2m, Keogh is at least as good etc")

I also reckon Maguire's fee was larger than the reputed £250k - it always puzzled me how a player bought for circa £450k who had a successful loan spell in this division & attracted a decent amount of interest would go for a loss.

Disclaimer: this post pre-supposes Sammon being bought & I am certainly not a board apologist - this episode if positive would be a rare shining light in a generally inept 4 year spell by GSE with regard to player purchases & sales

Yeah it was me.

I have also since heard that NC had Shackell marked down as a trouble maker and he was not very popular with his team mates. Admittedly this information is third hand but has allegedly come from Tom Glick.

If the second but is true then I am more inclined to believe that we took a lower figure than £1.7million

Re the Shackell/Keogh thing, the impression I get is that we were expecting to get Keogh for less than we eventually paid for him (hence Clough's comment about pushing the boat out). And I doubt very much that we paid the whole £450k up front for Maguire - the comments coming from Aberdeen at the time were that they wanted £400k for him, and that's what they thought they'd get from a tribunal (if it went that far). The fact we paid more than that suggests that at least some part of it was in performance/appearance clauses, and given the limited number of games that he's played for us, I'd guess we've met almost none of them. We could have maybe paid something like £200k up front, £200k on appearances and £50k if we got promoted, in which case we've actualy made a profit on the deal.

Addison - jacobs

Maguire - Coutts

We did not get £400k plus for Addison. Not even close.

I wonder if we're spending a bit more money simply cos the group of owners were all over together, it was reported that they had seen first hand what kind of players we've brought in and what kind of characters we've brought in so far. Maybe they've seen how close knit we are and that we really are just one piece of the jigsaw missing Maybe as well now that Andy Appleby is more involved on a day to day basis he gets to see some of the things that need improving and gets to see the frustrations when we can't improve it for the sake of a couple of quid.

One thing for sure, by the end of the window we'll have signed a boat load more players than we were initially promised. Whether it comes from the Shackell fee, the varney money or wherever I don't really care.

It's been a very decent summer so far and by the sound of things it's going to get even better in the next few days.

Another theory -

Maybe we're in a position whereby it's now or never regards Sammon & Freeman so the board have man-ed up, given Nigel the dosh and will cover it at the end of the season as part of the clubs loss before FFP kicks in???

Of course it's just a theory so will gladly be shot down in flames. I'm merely commenting on this because I like the thread and I'm bored sh1tless at work...

Archived