Is Mr Nigel Clough tactically good enough at this level and should he go?

Davey B

I've always been one to enjoy local rivalry and if I had my way the Prem would consist of all the local sides so, as much as I want to see Forest do better than Derby, I'd sooner see your lot finish 21st than be relegated (gives us something to look forward to next season too).

That doesn't change the fact though that some Derby fans I know are shrugging off conceding 7 goals in 2 home games, against essentially lower league opposition, as nothing to worry about. I don't expect Forest to storm the league by any means (not yet anyway), but to say your 4 players away from being a top 6 side? I think you need a reality check - for me Derby are currently a bottom 5 side and, whilst the issues you have are sortable and a few additions will help you out, don't let yourselves get lulled in to the false sense of security that some of our fans did last season. Currently a relegation fight is on the cards for you unless additions/changes are made.

It's nice to exchange views isn't it? I'm still fairly happy with my assessment that with 4 new quality players, we'd be in the play-off zone. I'm not talking about players like Forest bought last season. I mean players who are quality. I've said that I don't expect us to finish above half way with the squad we have. Bottom 5? I'd be surprised but if so, see you there 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been one to enjoy local rivalry and if I had my way the Prem would consist of all the local sides so, as much as I want to see Forest do better than Derby, I'd sooner see your lot finish 21st than be relegated (gives us something to look forward to next season too).

That doesn't change the fact though that some Derby fans I know are shrugging off conceding 7 goals in 2 home games, against essentially lower league opposition, as nothing to worry about. I don't expect Forest to storm the league by any means (not yet anyway), but to say your 4 players away from being a top 6 side? I think you need a reality check - for me Derby are currently a bottom 5 side and, whilst the issues you have are sortable and a few additions will help you out, don't let yourselves get lulled in to the false sense of security that some of our fans did last season. Currently a relegation fight is on the cards for you unless additions/changes are made.

What sort of changes do you think need to be made?

It's nice to exchange views isn't it? I'm still fairly happy with my assessment that with 4 new quality players, we'd be in the play-off zone. I'm not talking about players like Forest bought last season. I mean players who are quality. I've said that I don't expect us to finish above half way with the squad we have. Bottom 5? I'd be surprised but if so, see you there 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

What sort of changes do you think need to be made?

The main issue looking at the recent games appeares to be one more of bottle and backbone than anything else. Jason Shackell, Shaun Barker - from what I can gather (without watching the games week in week out) these lads will be missed and crumbling against teams such as Scunny & Wed in such manor is the reason I'd be worried. Whoever you bring in needs to have that bit of grit about them by the looks of things - we foolishly released Paul McKenna last year and missed his attitude and organisation immeasurably.

You might feel you have other players in the squad to compensate, but the past two results give cause for concern.

Top 6 is just as laughable as bottom 5, I still have Forest down as bottom 3 and I'm deadly serious (although slightly grinning)

Nah, we're currently a mid-table side. The back 4 looked great, especially to say what little game time they've had together - we've the players just need the time and the patience to let it gel now. Lacking pace and a bit of bite, but not lacking enough to be lower than 15th I'd say, and more additions are on the way.

If everyone settles well we could surprise a few, but there's just been so many changes of late it's hard to gauge it all just yet.

Having had time to calm down and reflect...

I think Clough made tactical changes that he thought would suit us best given how tired we were. I'd like to see us shut out games by passing the ball and going forward, but given the antics against Ssausagehorpe no one really had the legs to do it - that's an entirely different argument though.

Ultimately it was trying to keep the ball that cost us - who knows what would happen if it was hoofed clear. Not saying I like it, but I like it more than conceding with in the 89th minute.

Just pointed out in the other thread that Savies is a Jewell-signed player who would have been prepared to work with him again. Paul Jewell, the tactical mastermind of English football.

And oh yeah, didn't we...you know...finish way above Bristol City last season?

That doesn't change the fact though that some Derby fans I know are shrugging off conceding 7 goals in 2 home games, against essentially lower league opposition, as nothing to worry about. I don't expect Forest to storm the league by any means (not yet anyway), but to say your 4 players away from being a top 6 side? I think you need a reality check - for me Derby are currently a bottom 5 side and

Using your logic, a 'lower league' team won promotion last year.

What do you think has happened to our squad that has turned us from a mid-table team to a bottom 5 team?

If we can loan out Tyson and flog Bailey and bring in a new striker and an experienced midfielder who can be brought on to close out games I think we are genuine play off contenders.

I think we have made serious improvements in the transfer window this summer and I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised with how well we will do.

Archived