Mcfarlands Bar

ramexpat

Much debate over the years on this...better than Stimac would you say Uttox?

Sorry to butt in too but it'd make a good discussion.

Slightly distorted view from me having only had the great pleasure of watch Roy on videos and Stimac in person but I'd say Roy is better with the ball back then than most CBs today.

Probably seen his 'best bits' but he would walk into Barca and Spains team nowadays from what I've seen!!

C'mon Uttox and the other spoilt Derby fans, was he really THAT good every week??

People think Nesta was the first footballing CB!! Shocking!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to butt in too but it'd make a good discussion.

Slightly distorted view from me having only had the great pleasure of watch Roy on videos and Stimac in person but I'd say Roy is better with the ball back then than most CBs today.

Probably seen his 'best bits' but he would walk into Barca and Spains team nowadays from what I've seen!!

C'mon Uttox and the other spoilt Derby fans, was he really THAT good every week??

People think Nesta was the first footballing CB!! Shocking!

Yes, he was! Simple as that. He was solid and dependable.

Steve, its defo McFarland mate, not sure where you get the Mac from (apart from his nickname Roy Mac).

Better than Igor? I'd have to say yes. Better in the air, a better goal threat, and just as good distribution.

If he hadn't of ruptured his achilles tendon playing for England he may well have doubled his England caps tally. Think he got 28 as it was in a time when the national side didn't play as many games.

He was probably not world class after his injury as he lost a yard of pace and spring but from 1969-1974 i would say he was the perfect centre back. Big, strong, quick, comfortable in possession, dominant in the air and scored vital goals.

If Rio was worth £30m then Roy, in his prime, would have been worth £50m in today's money.

Both very different players Uttox. Both oosing class and style though. Mac played in a side where he was regularly winning games and he had sufficient ability all around him in the likes of Mackay, Todd, Hennesey etc. Midfield cover was as good as it gets too.He was awesome, a bit nasty too which I like in a centre halfs. Everything should point to Roy Mac being the best centre half we ever had.... however I saw Igor play some games where I swear he was better than Barasi, McFarland, Bobby Moore etc all rolled into one. He was quite simly the best player I have ever seen in a Rams shirt... at times.

Both very different players Uttox. Both oosing class and style though. Mac played in a side where he was regularly winning games and he had sufficient ability all around him in the likes of Mackay, Todd, Hennesey etc. Midfield cover was as good as it gets too.He was awesome, a bit nasty too which I like in a centre halfs. Everything should point to Roy Mac being the best centre half we ever had.... however I saw Igor play some games where I swear he was better than Barasi, McFarland, Bobby Moore etc all rolled into one. He was quite simly the best player I have ever seen in a Rams shirt... at times.

Absolutely right SR about the class players Roy had around him, so good point there.

I think jager was being tongue in cheek re macgrath's love of bars. Signature drink at the Mcfarland bar should be a hot toddy.

Well spotted Borneo.. what a shame the previous poster did not.

Also, without McGraths performances at the end of that last season ar the BBG, there would have been no Baino and Eranio, or premier league football when PPS opened.

McGrath showed Stimac how to defend in his short time here, and I put it up there with Osmans loan spell at derby for biggest impact.

Both men were the difference between a relegation and survival in their respective seasons.

Well spotted Borneo.. what a shame the previous poster did not.

Also, without McGraths performances at the end of that last season ar the BBG, there would have been no Baino and Eranio, or premier league football when PPS opened.

McGrath showed Stimac how to defend in his short time here, and I put it up there with Osmans loan spell at derby for biggest impact.

Both men were the difference between a relegation and survival in their respective seasons.

McGrath was absolute class that season - sorry for missing your point btw.

Roy Mac at his best V McGrath at his best..........still Roy for me!

Obviously.... theres a bit of tongue in cheek to be had there.

Playing the sweeper role will often make you look like a superstar, which is why as a yougn lad at the time, igor suddently didnt look as good, as he was then being played as normal CB with the job of marking/dealing with a big CF.

Never saw Mcfarland but if he is as good as my dad says then Igor doesn't come close. Igor was good on the ball, a great leader and had a big impact on DCFC but when it came to defending he was only slightly above average in my opinion. Dived in to way too many challenges and spent too much time on his backside. Will never forget the lift or the impact his signing had though. It also led to the signing of Asanovic, probably in the top 3 talents at DCFC in my lifetime.

I, like others, have to rely on my Dad for this one and in the argument of best CB between Roy Mac, Stimac, and McGrath he would say Colin Todd was better than all of them. He is convinced that Roy Mac could only do what he did because he knew if he messed up Toddy would bail him out. He thought Roy was great but is in no doubt who his favourite was, even named his dog toddy.

I, like others, have to rely on my Dad for this one and in the argument of best CB between Roy Mac, Stimac, and McGrath he would say Colin Todd was better than all of them. He is convinced that Roy Mac could only do what he did because he knew if he messed up Toddy would bail him out. He thought Roy was great but is in no doubt who his favourite was, even named his dog toddy.

We all have our views and that's what makes us see the game differently. For me, having watched Derby since 1964, Roy McFarland is the most complete defender I've seen in a Rams Shirt. He would probably have made a great centre forward too if he'd played there.

Archived