Glick comes out of hiding

Day

Fine but I stand by my opinion about it.

If you can answer those and still come up with a description of him being "in hiding" then fine, we'll agree to disagree.

When was Shackell sold? 5th July

When do you think they would have received all these complaints from fans? Impossible to say, could of started after the initial comments about selling him at the right price.

When did he give this interview? Yesterday he met with Radio Derby and DET, 6 days after the sale. Was supposed to be aired last night but delayed it till today.

Do you not think he may be a little busy at the moment talking to clubs about potential replacements? 5 minute interview over the phone with RD, maybe email the DET, don't think that's asking too much of his time.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's not going to be a media guy at city - hes heading up their commercial revenue department. Getting in sponsorship and maximising the income the club can generate.

We will see how often he is heard in the media after he starts at City. I think reading between the lines it will be very much a PR role for him at City, if he was so important in terms of commercial income then why is he still at Derby.

We will see how often he is heard in the media after he starts at City. I think reading between the lines it will be very much a PR role for him at City, if he was so important in terms of commercial income then why is he still at Derby.

I expect he'll be heard frequently by City fans, being very media friendly and charismatic is clearly a big plus of his, so they won't hide him in an office. And he's still at Derby, because that was the agreement.

Our squad is weaker than last season = no progress. Simple.

With six weeks till the season starts. Not quite so simple.

I think the timing is perfect. Time to get someone in over the next week or so (even two) and get some pre season time with the team. Timing is a different question to whether he should have been sold...

Would I personally have sold him? Perhaps not, but then I don't know the targets Clough has in mind. If I agree with the people bought in then I think the ends will justify the means. Impossible to say yet, so I'm not going to run round shouting about how angry/disappointed/suicidal I am.

Glick should have spoken earlier, I agree with that. He knows the Derby support well enough to know alot of people were going to be angry about this, it could have been nipped in the bud earlier.

Tin hat is on.

I'll start by saying something that will get ignored when posters accuse me of praising the club or the manager for everytihng they do. It's a myth, even those posters who are positive still criticise individual decisions. It gets missed when the "blind faith" card gets pulled out.

So for the record, my opinion. Tom Glick AND Nigel SHOULD have given an interview straight after the Shackell sale. It was a mistake to leave it so long.

Another opinion, NC made in my eyes several mistakes last season and I would not have sold Shackell.

It's probably good that I dont over judge them cos I'd get it wrong a lot. I accept that they both know more about every aspect of the intiricate details of football than I ever will, TG on the business side and NC on the playing side, it means I need to trust them to get it right, even when I'm confused about what they're doing.

On the shackell sale and lack of communication, there are some posters on here at the moment who are not even debating, just looking to score cheap shots against other posters they have "fallen out with" - it's pathetic.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is cringing a little bit at the reaction of selling a player who is not getting any younger for a 45% profit. He was only with us for a year so it's not like he's "Mr" Derby County. It seems that a lot of people are ignoring the fact that outside of Brayford, Hendrick, Fielding, Bennett and Hughes that Shacks was the only other one who would raise any kind of wedge.

I feel strongly that there are some "fans" who should be really embarassed by their input into this situation. Fans giving up on Derby, fans wanting to hand their season ticket back, manager and board being accused of ripping the club apart. We're already in League 1.

It's like reading a bunch of teenage drama queens.

Get some balls support your team and club and leave your 250- 500 quid where it is. Isn't it just a tiny bit hypocritical that fans who want 500 quid back, therefore do not want to "invest" in the club are doing it because the board won't "invest" 2 or 3 million of their cash. They have said all summer that they were selling to improve the squad, I see little point in them giving interview after interview saying the same thing, especially when it gets ignored anyway.

The worst part is now whether the signings are stella, or whether they work out well, not one of them will come back on and say they might have been too hasty. I still havent seen anyone come on and say "you know what for the last 3 years I've been saying we're going down. I was wrong."

For those who feel the need to slate me, please do it without calling me a deluded fool or a mug. I'm neither and it won't start the discussion well if the replies are just insults.

Why is it not possible to wait until the transfer window is closed before slating the squad as too weak, why is not possible to wait until the season has even started before letting us know that we're in "another" relegation dog fight, just the same as last year...

Football has been my life since 13 so I wont apologise for the fact I've watched both Cloughs build football clubs for nearly 3 decades and I've seen them both sell or let go their top players to rebuild a squad that has then pushed on, I can give some pretty clear examples now if anyone wants to see past the fact I'm just a blind faither(!!) past the anger, the disappointment and the abuse.

Sometimes in football you've got to sell your best player to raise funds. Fortunately for us we managed to sell our 4th best player instead. I'm honeslty looking forward to seeing our new signings line up for the start of the season, even though I have no idea who they might be, I trust the manager if he thinks we can improve without Shackell and if I'm wrong, you can be sure I'll at least have the balls to come on here and take the flack.

Pre-Season starts today, the players should be buzzing, the manger should be looking forward to getting them running out at pride park on the first Saturday of the season in front of their adoring fans.

Seems like some of ours might just end up going to Burnley to watch Shacks.

Come on lads, really, is there any chance of just trying to get behind the team and wait and see what comes in?

Leaving a CEO post isn't like walking out as a shelf stacker. There will be stuff happening that he needs to complete before leaving.

Have a read through this it gives the clubs statement and I think theres a link to city's detailing his new commercial role

Leaving a CEO post isn't like walking out as a shelf stacker. There will be stuff happening that he needs to complete before leaving.

Have a read through this it gives the clubs statement and I think theres a link to city's detailing his new commercial role

[url=

I'm sure you are right on the first point but my feel is still that if his role was that vital in commercial growth at City then he would already be there.

I don't tend to take too much notice of official club statements, what is fed to the public and reality seems normally to not be the same.

I'm sure Glick will be used in the ways you illustrate but my instinct is the main reason he has been hired is in PR and Media. Like him or not he is pretty smooth on that side and you can see his appeal.

Can anyone post up Gerald Mortimer's column from today's DET.

He's not a drama queen, nor a "wrist slasher". Just an older gentleman who's watched Derby for many years.

I canna do it because I'm on my phone.

I'm sure you are right on the first point but my feel is still that if his role was that vital in commercial growth at City then he would already be there.

So are you trying to say that they've employed him but don't really want him??? I'm struggling to see what point you're trying to make?

I think he's a bit more than that DDCC.

He got himself on the football league board pretty early on, he's clearly had an influence on league decisions and policies, from something as token as the 7 subs rule where it was us and one other club who pushed for the re-instatement. to his influence on the huge and potentially game changing agreement on spending a maximum amount of turnover on salaries.

Then you've got the pioneering ticket on demand, HAVING to attempt to run a sustainable club from a business perspective, the constant improving(?) matchday experience.

There can't be that many football CEO's who have pushed change as much as Tom Glick in the last few years. He hasn't done too badly at all since he arrived from the US.

So are you trying to say that they've employed him but don't really want him??? I'm struggling to see what point you're trying to make?

I have never said they don't want him, they clearly do but the PR won't really matter until the season starts. Consequently we still have him at Derby and like him or not I think we would be better with him out of the way and the next man in.

On what basis do you see he has done a great job?

He has done a great job in media relations and that's what he will be doing at City. I can't see how his performance in any other area though merits such praise.

Under his stewardship the club has done well in off-field activities. My gripe isn't and never has been with Glick, he is an astute businessman managing a large investment on behalf of some very wealthy people. I was also under the assumption he was highly rated amongst his peers in the game and has some position of authority in league/football bodies.

Tin hat is on.

I'll start by saying something that will get ignored when posters accuse me of praising the club or the manager for everytihng they do. It's a myth, even those posters who are positive still criticise individual decisions. It gets missed when the "blind faith" card gets pulled out.

So for the record, my opinion. Tom Glick AND Nigel SHOULD have given an interview straight after the Shackell sale. It was a mistake to leave it so long.

Another opinion, NC made in my eyes several mistakes last season and I would not have sold Shackell.

It's probably good that I dont over judge them cos I'd get it wrong a lot. I accept that they both know more about every aspect of the intiricate details of football than I ever will, TG on the business side and NC on the playing side, it means I need to trust them to get it right, even when I'm confused about what they're doing.

On the shackell sale and lack of communication, there are some posters on here at the moment who are not even debating, just looking to score cheap shots against other posters they have "fallen out with" - it's pathetic.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is cringing a little bit at the reaction of selling a player who is not getting any younger for a 45% profit. He was only with us for a year so it's not like he's "Mr" Derby County. It seems that a lot of people are ignoring the fact that outside of Brayford, Hendrick, Fielding, Bennett and Hughes that Shacks was the only other one who would raise any kind of wedge.

I feel strongly that there are some "fans" who should be really embarassed by their input into this situation. Fans giving up on Derby, fans wanting to hand their season ticket back, manager and board being accused of ripping the club apart. We're already in League 1.

It's like reading a bunch of teenage drama queens.

Get some balls support your team and club and leave your 250- 500 quid where it is. Isn't it just a tiny bit hypocritical that fans who want 500 quid back, therefore do not want to "invest" in the club are doing it because the board won't "invest" 2 or 3 million of their cash. They have said all summer that they were selling to improve the squad, I see little point in them giving interview after interview saying the same thing, especially when it gets ignored anyway.

The worst part is now whether the signings are stella, or whether they work out well, not one of them will come back on and say they might have been too hasty. I still havent seen anyone come on and say "you know what for the last 3 years I've been saying we're going down. I was wrong."

For those who feel the need to slate me, please do it without calling me a deluded fool or a mug. I'm neither and it won't start the discussion well if the replies are just insults.

Why is it not possible to wait until the transfer window is closed before slating the squad as too weak, why is not possible to wait until the season has even started before letting us know that we're in "another" relegation dog fight, just the same as last year...

Football has been my life since 13 so I wont apologise for the fact I've watched both Cloughs build football clubs for nearly 3 decades and I've seen them both sell or let go their top players to rebuild a squad that has then pushed on, I can give some pretty clear examples now if anyone wants to see past the fact I'm just a blind faither(!!) past the anger, the disappointment and the abuse.

Sometimes in football you've got to sell your best player to raise funds. Fortunately for us we managed to sell our 4th best player instead. I'm honeslty looking forward to seeing our new signings line up for the start of the season, even though I have no idea who they might be, I trust the manager if he thinks we can improve without Shackell and if I'm wrong, you can be sure I'll at least have the balls to come on here and take the flack.

Pre-Season starts today, the players should be buzzing, the manger should be looking forward to getting them running out at pride park on the first Saturday of the season in front of their adoring fans.

Seems like some of ours might just end up going to Burnley to watch Shacks.

Come on lads, really, is there any chance of just trying to get behind the team and wait and see what comes in?

Can't argue with a lot of that PBW, and I'm always an optimistic supporter. I've got three season tickets and wouldn't dream of giving them back. But I'm still not happy about the sale of Shackell because:

*We had a clear target in Lynch who has signed for Huddersfield and I wonder whether that is an indication that we will struggle to attract players proven at this level because of our wage structure (bottom 6 as JM pointed out last season).

*I'm all for bringing in youngsters, and trying out talent from lower levels, but not if it's the only transfer policy, and looking at Nigel's words, actions and moves in the market, it's starting to look like it is. If we are to become genuine promotion challengers soon, I believe we need some experience.

*It's been very badly handled PR-wise, giving off very bad vibes about the direction of the club to supporters, players and prospective signings. Maybe we will sign someone as good/better. Maybe we won't. At least we knew what we had in Shackell. He wasn't the world's best player, but certainly one of the division's better centre halfs.

I hope you're right. I hope by the time we kick off we'll have two or three players who will better the side, helped by the money from Shackell's sale. But I can equally foresee that we won't. Time will tell I guess.

I don't think that makes me a teenage drama queen, but I'm of an age where being called a teenager would be quite a compliment!

I'm just going to wait till the opening day team.

If it looks a good solid team, new striker (good), new defender (good), then I'll be happy.

If it just looks like we having nothing up front and we have both, Buxton and O'brien at the back, then i'll be p*ssed off.

Meh. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

I think he's a bit more than that DDCC.

He got himself on the football league board pretty early on, he's clearly had an influence on league decisions and policies, from something as token as the 7 subs rule where it was us and one other club who pushed for the re-instatement. to his influence on the huge and potentially game changing agreement on spending a maximum amount of turnover on salaries.

Then you've got the pioneering ticket on demand, HAVING to attempt to run a sustainable club from a business perspective, the constant improving(?) matchday experience.

There can't be that many football CEO's who have pushed change as much as Tom Glick in the last few years. He hasn't done too badly at all since he arrived from the US.

Interesting post, I am far from convinced by his record on the financial side and the club is still far from self-sustaining. Also through his tenure the football has been well below par.

The ticket on demand should be good but why did he not think of it 2 years earlier, he is great on the communication side but overall I feel we don't seem to come out too well in the transfer/contract deals. Overall I think the owners would have been better served picking a guy with experience in English Football and not one of their own. As for positions on League boards I remember Mr Ridsdale, when he was at Leeds, they still have not recovered from him. I think that means little.

PWB, fair enough for taking the time to compose a long and thoughtful post.

Just a couple of things, 45% profit is great, but lets not get away from the fact that this player was sold for less than 350k profit (if the reported figures are true), about the same amount that we reportedly lost on Maguire, so it wasnt a great bit of business, unless of course they bring in a player of comparable quality.

People are well entitled to ask for their money back, the club offered this to them, you might not agree with this but to me it seems a strange calling them "drama queens" and "I feel strongly that there are some "fans" who should be really embarassed by their input into this situation." and then saying you wont reply to posters who insult you, have you not just done the same ?

You are right in that come the start of the season, we may have brought in some quality players, but on the other hand this doesnt stop people being entitled to question the reasoning behing the sale of Shackell, I will still be right behind the club during every game, but I can honestly say that having watched them for many a decade, I no longer look forward to the game itself, I have not been entertained recently, and you quite rightly also point out, that we only have 5 players within our squad that are actually worth any money, which sort of goes hand in hand with any good.

I will gladly come on though at the end of the season if we are challenging for the play offs and congralute you though on being right, if this is the case.

PBW,

Good post btw.

I have to say I'm on the other side of the coin.

I've already gone on and on about Shackell in a number of threads (without going to OTT I think).

I also think the boards plan is flawed and based on an FFP that will hit clubs about as hard as a Tom Carroll tackle. But again there's plenty of threads where I've gone into my reasons.

I also question Nigel's (or any manager) ability to achieve our goals under the restraints.

Whether I moan or praise on here will never effect I'm 100% behind the team every week. 100%.

My point is you won't get insults from me. I'm atleast wise enough to come on here and be prepared to be wrong or change my mind. That's why I come on here, to take on board other perspectives. Not to trade insults and tell people how football should be.

One of us is going to be wrong. And we both hope it's me. I think much of Derbys plans are poor based on what I've seen by other clubs and this one in the past. I think they're giving up too much for so little and it'll cost us.

Just saying that I'm hoping I don't come across like a schoolboy who wants Derby to fail so I can be right and come on here a rock solid keyboard warrior.

The concern is genuine.

But to some of the older boys..., sale of Shackell not quite as bad as Brian Clough's resignation then? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Archived