What do you think we need?

What positions do you think Nigel needs to go and get for the coming season? (assuming the players transfer listed do end up going)

GKs - Fielding and Legz are a good 1 and 2

Defs - Brayford, Roberts, O'Brien, Buxton, T Naylor, possibly Lelan. With Shackell going this should be, in my opinion, number 1 priority, I think a new LB is needed aswell as a new CB and depending on how well O'Brien copes at the start of the season, a new CB on loan (may aswell be a loan with Barker back next season)

Mids - Bryson, B Davies, Hendrick, Hughes, Jacobs, Ward, Tyson. I think at the moment Tyson and Ward are LMs, Davies and Jacobs RMs and we are left we 3CMs. We NEED to get a CM to replace Bailey for cover with W Hughes.

STs - Doyle, Theo, Ball, Bennet. Theo up top with a new striker and 3 young lads covering (aswell as Tyson and Ward if needed) would be good to start the season with.

So looking at that if we manage to bring in a LB, 2 CBs (one perm one loan), CM and ST I for one would be confident of our side pushing a top 6 spot next season.

What does everyone else think?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sell Fielding to the first club that waves a wedge in front of you.

2 center backs (not untried gambles from lower leagues or ageing injury prone out-for last-contract no-hopers), a left back.

2 x cover for central midfield.

A decent right midfielder/winger.

2 strikers (see center backs).

that's assuming Nige doesn't fall out with any or all of the above,

and we might just make mid table.

It's funny how the defence has been the priority for the past 3 seasons and it's once again the priority for this season..

It's also funny how people seem to think our midfield is complete and we'll score enough goals to push us on for a top 6 place next season.. We overrachieved last season and we failed to score in 18+ matches last season, around 40% of our games we failed to score in..

Yet people think we have the fire power to push on for a top 6 place.. Midfield is the priority, defence has now become a problem, and we're also losing a goalscorer whose contributed to 20%+ of our goals.. We're not going to be top 6 this season folks, far from it.. Be happy if we finish in the top half because I can only foresee a struggle

so you think a club with a bottom 6 budget can afford to have 5 cms, 5 wingers and 6 strikers?

Easily. Just not the top quality ones, as they'll go to a club paying top salaries.

I see where you're going with this argument, but our income isn't as high as the other teams that can offer higher wages. Plus, those other teams are gambling on getting promoted before FFP kicks in, where we've been working towards complying early doors.

not arguing it, nobody knows exactly what our financial situation is in regards to how much we have to spend and most importantly how much we have to give new players in wages... if we have to sell one of our best players in order to afford a replacement and another player in another position when im guessing we cant afford to have 10 first team midfielders and 6 first team strikers 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

For me;

Young left back understudy for Roberts. Mellor would be adequate.

Proven CB at this level

Young CB but capable of stepping in.

Left Mid, maybe someone in the mould of Bavies. We have quick and skilful attributes in this area already.

CM - Keep Bailey or try bring in someone as good/better for less.

2 Strikers - I'd like to see a big man come in, not someone who has zero ability with his feet though. It's easy to put goal scorer here but with our team I still think a goal scorer would struggle to hit the heights! Bring in someone creative, a match winner in the Kris Commons mould.

Looking back at the list, cash will have to be spent on a CB, LM and a striker or 2. The rest can be filled in by freebies.

It's funny how the defence has been the priority for the past 3 seasons and it's once again the priority for this season..

It's also funny how people seem to think our midfield is complete and we'll score enough goals to push us on for a top 6 place next season.. We overrachieved last season and we failed to score in 18+ matches last season, around 40% of our games we failed to score in..

Yet people think we have the fire power to push on for a top 6 place.. Midfield is the priority, defence has now become a problem, and we're also losing a goalscorer whose contributed to 20%+ of our goals.. We're not going to be top 6 this season folks, far from it.. Be happy if we finish in the top half because I can only foresee a struggle

I've read this forum for quite a while and posts like this just plain annoy me. Hendrick is a young player who needs time to gel in with the team and also get used to playing proper professional football in front of 10s of thousands of people. Bryson has shown glimpses of quality and must be given the chance in his 2nd season. Ward is a tricky one because on his day he can be one of the leagues best wingers, if we can go on a run he will gain a bit of confidence and maybe be more consistent. We have already got Jacobs in who could step up and become a great asset to our midfield.

Also dont forget IF (if) we bring in a top striker that starts finishing the chances that our midfield create the goals could start flowing within the team.

Have faith, despite what idiots think they know, our board and manager know what theyre doing

What positions do you think Nigel needs to go and get for the coming season? (assuming the players transfer listed do end up going)

GKs - Fielding and Legz are a good 1 and 2

Defs - Brayford, Roberts, O'Brien, Buxton, T Naylor, possibly Lelan. With Shackell going this should be, in my opinion, number 1 priority, I think a new LB is needed aswell as a new CB and depending on how well O'Brien copes at the start of the season, a new CB on loan (may aswell be a loan with Barker back next season)

Mids - Bryson, B Davies, Hendrick, Hughes, Jacobs, Ward, Tyson. I think at the moment Tyson and Ward are LMs, Davies and Jacobs RMs and we are left we 3CMs. We NEED to get a CM to replace Bailey for cover with W Hughes.

STs - Doyle, Theo, Ball, Bennet. Theo up top with a new striker and 3 young lads covering (aswell as Tyson and Ward if needed) would be good to start the season with.

So looking at that if we manage to bring in a LB, 2 CBs (one perm one loan), CM and ST I for one would be confident of our side pushing a top 6 spot next season.

What does everyone else think?

I agree with your post, but you missed a player out of your team assessment. Stefan Gallinski is a great CB and has already played for his country, captained the 18s and reserves.. He should get some game time next season.

A new Manger and a new Board.

Players wise: A new left back, two central defenders, a back-up right back, a left winger, midfield general (in the mould of Shaun Derry, Gavin Mahon, John Eustace), two strikers and at least one of those must be an ESTABLISHED goalscorer.

But, as we all know, none of that is never going to happen.

I've read this forum for quite a while and posts like this just plain annoy me. Hendrick is a young player who needs time to gel in with the team and also get used to playing proper professional football in front of 10s of thousands of people. Bryson has shown glimpses of quality and must be given the chance in his 2nd season. Ward is a tricky one because on his day he can be one of the leagues best wingers, if we can go on a run he will gain a bit of confidence and maybe be more consistent. We have already got Jacobs in who could step up and become a great asset to our midfield.

Also dont forget IF (if) we bring in a top striker that starts finishing the chances that our midfield create the goals could start flowing within the team.

Have faith, despite what idiots think they know, our board and manager know what theyre doing

Nige, I'm sorry we annoy you, but despite the logic in your some of your answer re young players, people like me, who have supported the club for almost 50 years, are worried by a lot of yours and the boards decisions, I am not saying its great to be investing an bringing on our academy, it is, but young quality players need experienced quality around them, winning match's more than losing them, so I can't see how the recent years sales and acquisitions are leading up to what our chairman, Mr Appleby eluded to ?

Some may even think that the boards strategy since we were relegated, has been rather than rebuild a great club,they are dismantling it brick by brick… and trying to make a small feeder club which thro its youth academy can bring on players to sell and turn an operating profit for its owners, not really global brand, and not really exciting, hence the fall in gates,and your eluding to playing in front of 10s of thousands may be right rather than the 30s/40s we used to aspire to.…

One last thought, its football not soccer,there's a difference, and its a unique game,with unique requirements for success, and looking at Villa and Liverpool, and to some views Man U, who's owners are American, those requirements aren't found in the business templates of American boardrooms.....

food for thought.

Archived