What do you think we need?

A midfielder that can tackle. A winger who can beat a man. An experienced lead CB. A striker.

So every position. Then we need to match a formation with a footballing style.

442 isn't for a passing game. So that effects the quality of winger and striker we need. (think Reading for a purpose built 442 team. We're nothing like them player for player)

Jumping on Bris post is all very trendy..... But his post was spot on.

To my eyes I saw a team that struggled to score goals. Struggled to control games. Didn't get enough goals from midfielders.

I would bet that stats would back me up?

Thats not to say "we're dooooomed"..... But it's not a reason to rate the teams chances of promotion.

When the season starts we might look a whole new team with Hughes, Jacobs +..... But on last seasons evidence - Shack and Savies...... below 12th

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sell Fielding to the first club that waves a wedge in front of you.

2 center backs (not untried gambles from lower leagues or ageing injury prone out-for last-contract no-hopers), a left back.

2 x cover for central midfield.

A decent right midfielder/winger.

2 strikers (see center backs).

that's assuming Nige doesn't fall out with any or all of the above,

and we might just make mid table.

I'd go along with that. Think we could do with cover at left and right back too.

Messi, Ronaldo & Zidane, we would be amazing!

In all seriousness some of the wishlists are abit optimtistic, i wont say what we need because you could argue we need better players in every position the aim is to have the best team possible isnt it?

I think wel get a new CB 2 is not needed when we have Obrien, Buxton & Galanski whats the point in having them in the squad if were going to pay another clubs players wages for a year makes no sense and goes aginast our policy of spend what you need.

A LB who will be a young raw talent who will grow into the role.

1 Striker with Jamie Ward moving from the wing to play up top in his natural position

We certainly dont need to bring in 6 players like some say and im 100% certain we wont, wel get 3 more players.

We need a completely different transfer strategy to the one we have at present:

Stop giving players away - make the buyers wait until they agree to pay a decent fee. If they don't, tell them to sling their hook.

Stop talking about the transfer target to the press, allowing every man & his dog to gazump us.

Stop alienating players whose face dosen't fit, depriving us of more money when they are eventually sold on.

Do more homework to ensure that their face will fit before buying them.

I think we need:

CB's. Proven centre back at this level and a younger one, maybe that James Wilson from Bristol City.

LB. Younger left back to be cover for Roberts. Mellor would be a good enough one for me.

CM. If we sell Bailey we definitely need cover in-case Bryson or Hendrick are injured etc. Westwood from Crewe would be a good buy, or a young one on-loan from the Premier League.

ST. DEFINITELY need a striker, big target man (e.g. Jon Daly) just to hold the ball and and win headers, maybe bag a few goal as well.

LB - Mellor, good enough for me. I like utility players, who can fill in at CB as well. Would be good and cheap as chips

CB - A replacement for Shackell. Preferably left footed. I'd go for Lynch on a free IMO. That Wilson would be OK

CM - If Bailey departs, we need a CM as cover or to take over from Hendrick. Preferably someone who can tackle...

ST - Someone who can get goals and hold up the ball. Wouldn't mind that Baxter from Everton or even Waghorn from Leicester.

I think we'll go in for 3/4. Clough will be fine with Hughes as cover for Hendrick and Bryson. I would take Mellor, Lynch and Baxter though. All frees (apart from compensation) may i add....

Archived