Clough says Ward could feature as a striker more.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby County forward Jamie Ward could feature as a striker on a more regular basis next season, according to manager Nigel Clough.

The versatile Northern Ireland international attacker started last season in a central striking role, but ended up spending the majority of the campaign on the left-hand side of midfield.

With the summer arrival of winger Michael Jacobs from Northampton Town, Clough has hinted that Ward could be deployed as a striker more next season.

However, he remains adamant that his flexibility makes him a valuable member of the first-team squad.

He said: "Michael's arrival certainly gives us another option in terms of moving Jamie up front, certainly.

"There were times last season when we wanted Jamie to play up front, but we didn't have someone to come in on the left wing so he had to stay out there.

"But, with Michael coming in, it certainly gives us another option to think about and given we're going with a fairly small squad next season it's important to have flexible players like Jamie and Michael."

26-year-old Ward, in his first full campaign at Derby last season, scored four times in 39 outings and signed a new two-year deal in April.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~2824634,00.html

How dare Clough say Ward might feature upfront? Just another ploy to not spend the many millions we obviously made on Shackell - use a player in a different position where he might be quite good. Makes me sick. I bet we don't sign another player all summer. I for one am so depressed.

Board, manager, sun, tits all out now

I was saying Ward up front last season so na na na na, Clough obviously been reading my posts and who blames him. The general argument was he's too small to be a striker.....never stopped Michael Owen did it (not that I'm saying Ward is anywhere near as good as what Owen was)

Talk of small squads and flexible players doesn't fill me with confidence about bringing people in.

I'll wait & see what happens but can't help but think wClough is trying to lower expectations by saying stuff like this.

...and I'm normally an optimist!.

I dont like the sneaky way they put this article on the official site days after te Shackell rip off. As if Clough has suddenly come up with something new. He said this ages ago that they might have to play Ward upfront depending on what players we had ( or dident have more like ). Its not like the Official site to post these kind of speculative comments from the manager. As if nothing is amis at the club.

Archived