Life after Glick - The Future

uttoxram75

Judging by by the noises coming out of the club it looks like more of the same for the coming season, ie having to sell one or two of our assets to generate cash for cheaper replacements.

The chance of this leading to success on the pitch is on the low side, as it totally depends on Clough being able to constantly produce Brayford and Bryson type signings rather than say, Bavies and Maguire (nothing against either player btw). Its an extremely big ask and unlikely to get us promoted any time soon.

Clough's relationship with Glick is, by all accounts, very close and trusting. Once Glick has left for Manchester City, any replacement will have to very quickly build a new bond between them.

I just wonder if that special relationship has kept the lid on the whole GSE/ownership thing. If Clough gets frustrated at lack of funds or ability to offer competitive wages, he may now feel free to make public his thoughts. He has hinted at it previously but, i believe, his close working relationship with Glick has kept him on message and stopped it becoming a full blown public debate.

Obviously, Clough has agreed to the fiscal structure and happily gone along with it, but will he get to a point where a relatively small investment could make the difference of a promotion push or not. If so, will the fact that he no longer has Glick to smooth the way behind the scenes (something I have no doubt Mr. Glick is extremely good at), push Clough to demand more funds.

I'm not criticising Clough or Glick here, merely making the point that this season, without Glick, Clough may not have the same patience and understanding of GSE's modus operandi if the team proves not good enough to improve on last season.

The big question for GSE will occur if Clough publically makes the case for further investment say in January if the team is struggling - it would amount to a back him or sack him scenario.

As ever, results and performances on the pitch will dictate.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you rightly said, results dictate how we feel... if we get promoted doing what we do, the Americans will be praised with trusting the talented youngsters and investing well in the academy.

Of course, if we don't do well... well, wow but at least we're set up to do badly, getting relegated isn't going to mean massive cuts, when we're relying on the youth to come through anyway!

This season does seem to have an air of uncertainty about it, our young players for the most part are unknowns, there could turn out to be 3-4 future England stars all break through at once, also on the other end.... it could be too much too young, in which we suffer a miserable year, and perhaps relegation.

Who reckons that now the head honcho has gone, the board/investors/GSE might sell up? Who knows what they'll do.

I cant see us ever getting promoted under this board with Clough as manager.

Too many other clubs have such a superior financial advantage. It would take a managerial miracle for someone to get us promoted with this squad and this budget. Or, a lot of youngsters are gunna have to be absolute mustard and be prepared to stay past January.

Good points there Uttox. Looking at the candidate notes for the Tom Glick position it does say that they are expecting to compete around the play-off positions with promotion within four years. In some respects you would think that this would put a lot of pressure on Nigel Clough, but building a side bit by bit is what he seems to be good at. Personally, I hope we appoint another American who is known to the owners and buys into the whole build it slowly build it surely scenario.

It is always going to be a concern when new personnel arrive as we don't know how they are going to gel, and I think there should be genuine concerns with that.

Nigel Clough does have frustrations with the owners, but this is more about them concentrating on what goes wrong rather than what has gone right - but that is the American way!!!

It's going to be hard to find someone who is capable of 3 roles:

• taking flack from the supporters for being a "yank"
  • working on improving the commercial side of dcfc
  • help negotiate player transfers

and can do them all WELL. It might be very hard, but I think it will again be a frugal american.

I feel completely at odds with almost every statement the club makes.

"we could be like Coventry or Pompey"...... One word "Benjani"

"we believe the youngsters coming through will set us for a bright future" ..... Like Crewe? Forest? Watford? When is that Bamford lad going to get Forest promoted? Never. He's at Chelsea.

"We'll have an advantage when FFP comes in"..... Yeah, watch 'em all crumble. As if.

"we want to keep Shackell but....." ... Then keep him. Or sell him and get someone with slightly less ability for less money. Sometimes you might dig up a gem, but keep digging and you'll dig up mostly ****. There's 70 odd other clubs looking for gems too.

I don't mind sometimes the way we are ran. It's the bullshit that gets on my nerves. We get force fed it. It's boring and not at all a realistic plan.

I don't think Clough is a great manager, but I don't see how we could do much better under the dreamland restrictions that are going to be placed on anybody. Besides, I like Clough.

I think Nigel will be sacrificed without even a blink of an eye if it comes to the point of pressure on the board.

This season will be another of hoping to accidentally get promoted. Like I say, I don't think Clough is great, but according to Metgod our results are beyond what the wage bill would indicate.

We'll see League 1 before the PL if we continue like this.

I dunno but I feel sorry for Cloughie he could do so much more with us. Not many, if any knows more about football than he does, it's GSE and the owners im worried about...

Im all for finding young talent from all over the UK especially Derbyshire, actually it's probably the best thing about us at the moment. In fact thinking about it I don't think we've got much choice.

I've always tried to ignore all the behind the scenes sh*te, I just like the manager and the lads but even that's impossible now. It was a huge deal when Slick Glick announced he was leaving but to be honest I was sick of hearing about Barker type fees. I just want to know if Cloughie's found a lad that could improve us, if he has can we get him? If not why? I don't wan't to hear how we have got to sell our soddin captain to take a chance on a young lad from league 2.

But hey... Nigel will get us to the Premiership through pure determination and GSE will claim it's through sensible management and stability.

Archived