Michael Jacobs

Chris Peduck

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see why it would be anywhere near 500k he is out of contract and is a league 2 player in his 20s. Let it go to tribunal

I'm not sure you understand how transfers for young players with potential work...

The guy is young, he's had two full seasons in our side and won player of the year both times, he's made over 100 appearances, for a 20 yr old that is pretty impressive. You have to remember the cost won't be just for the player as he is now but for the potential of the player. Look at Nick Powell from Crewe who has just signed for Man Utd - £4million!

As for the story in our local paper it's basically saying if you want him you'll have to meet the price requested. It could go to tribunal of course but then it's a lottery. No idea who the Prem team is, my guess would be Newcastle though.

I'm not sure you understand how transfers for young players with potential work...

The guy is young, he's had two full seasons in our side and won player of the year both times, he's made over 100 appearances, for a 20 yr old that is pretty impressive. You have to remember the cost won't be just for the player as he is now but for the potential of the player. Look at Nick Powell from Crewe who has just signed for Man Utd - £4million!

As for the story in our local paper it's basically saying if you want him you'll have to meet the price requested. It could go to tribunal of course but then it's a lottery. No idea who the Prem team is, my guess would be Newcastle though.

No I do understand how it works, he heasmt played international football at any age group, if derby sign him he can't have been that sort after. Look at other deals for similar level of players not comparing him to Powell who was the most sort after young player in the country, wasnt he under contract? It hasnt gone to a tribunal. Also they have paid 2.75 with add ons.

The best comparison of recent years is Matt Phillips who transferred from Wycombe to Blackpool for £350k rising to £700k with add ons etc. That was 2010, so around £450k ish two years later is about right for a similar sort of move?

The Nick Powell thing is almost an anomaly, but he isn't hugely better than Jacobs, deffo better though!

The best comparison of recent years is Matt Phillips who transferred from Wycombe to Blackpool for £350k rising to £700k with add ons etc. That was 2010, so around £450k ish two years later is about right for a similar sort of move?

The Nick Powell thing is almost an anomaly, but he isn't hugely better than Jacobs, deffo better though!

I would like to believe powell isnt much better but I would say the quality of teams interested would say different. Matt Phillips Was younger, a league 1 player, was representing England at youth level and joined a premiership club. So he is a good example as Jacobs should be less.

Has this guy still not signed yet?! What the douche is taking him so long!

Did you not read the bit where Nigel said we'd have to sell to buy?

We haven't sold anyone yet, so we can't but anyone. Pretty sure that as soon as Shackell signs for Burnley we will sign Jacobs

Did you not read the bit where Nigel said we'd have to sell to buy?

We haven't sold anyone yet, so we can't but anyone. Pretty sure that as soon as Shackell signs for Burnley we will sign Jacobs

Are you trying to tell me that our club is run by Del Boy sonny?

Are you trying to tell me that our club is run by Del Boy sonny?

Don't be silly, we're being run by a professional management company who provide the 'financial firepower, underpinning a long-term plan to establish Derby County as a major player in the Premier League and as an international club brand.'

All we have to do is wait until all the other clubs go bust and we'll be huge...unless they form newcos and get away scott free of course

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Derby-County-stay-hunt-Northampton-Town-ace/story-16386425-detail/story.html

TALKS are continuing between Derby County and Northampton Town over the signing of Michael Jacobs.

The Rams are hoping to land the 20-year-old wide [url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Derby-County-stay-hunt-Northampton-Town-ace/story-16386425-detail/story.html#][size=1]midfielder[/size], whose contract with the Cobblers expires at the end of this month.

1. http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/images/localpeople/ugc-images/275778/Article/images/16386425/3887024
    Michael Jacobs

Jacobs is understood to be keen to move to Pride Park but Derby must pay Northampton compensation as the [url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Derby-County-stay-hunt-Northampton-Town-ace/story-16386425-detail/story.html#][size=1]player[/size] is under 24.

If a figure cannot be agreed, it will be set by a tribunal.

Unsurprisingly in these situations, the two clubs' valuations of the player appear to be some way apart.

However, the Rams are still optimistic that they can get their man, despite comments made by Northampton chairman David Cardoza.

Cardoza says Derby are "a million miles away" from striking a deal with the League Two club.

He also claims that an unnamed Premier League club are preparing an offer for Jacobs, who has been Northampton's player of the year for the past two seasons.

"Derby's valuation is a million miles out," said Cardoza. "A lot of figures are being quoted at the moment and it could end up being anything.

"Aidy (Boothroyd, Northampton manager) and I have an asking price that we have come to between us that we feel would be acceptable and we want it to be with as few sell-on clauses as possible."

Jacobs this week officially rejected a new deal at Sixfields, confirming that his future lies away from the club he has been with since he was 10.

Northampton want to recoup more than the club record £525,000 they received from Blackburn Rovers for [url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Derby-County-stay-hunt-Northampton-Town-ace/story-16386425-detail/story.html#][size=1]goalkeeper[/size] Mark Bunn nearly four years ago – and believe they could get as much as £750,000.

However, Derby's valuation is much lower and though they are keen to come to an agreement, may opt to try their luck at a tribunal, where an independent panel would set a fee based on a series of different factors, such as age, playing record and the terms offered to the player by both clubs.

The Rams had a similar situation last summer in signing Chris Maguire from Aberdeen.

In the end, they avoided going to what would have been a FIFA tribunal in this case, as they were dealing with a club from Scotland, agreeing a compensation package of around £470,000.

Maguire has been made available for transfer this summer after finding his first-team chances limited at [url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Derby-County-stay-hunt-Northampton-Town-ace/story-16386425-detail/story.html#][size=1]Pride[/size] Park. The 23-year-old forward is wanted by Sheffield Wednesday, who have so far had two bids turned down by the Rams.

As with Jacobs, the two clubs are still in discussions and a deal looks likely to happen at some point, with Derby hoping to recoup the amount they paid for Maguire a year ago.

The Rams say they have received no further bids for defender Jason Shackell.

Burnley have had two £1m-plus bids for the centre-back rejected so far and he remains high on manager Eddie Howe's list of targets.

Derby have stressed they do not have to sell Shackell, who was ever-present last season and has also been linked with Leicester City, though manager Nigel Clough has said he would consider it if it allowed him to strengthen his squad in other areas.

Burnley recently sold [url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Derby-County-stay-hunt-Northampton-Town-ace/story-16386425-detail/story.html#][size=1]striker[/size] Jay Rodriguez to Premier League new boys Southampton for around £7m.

Archived