Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pretty horrified if this is indeed true.

If true were talking about an estimated profit of something between 300 - 500k depending on whos story u believe but whatever that figure is - quite honestly im horrified.

i question mr applebys sanity if he thinks we will challenge for promotion with no recognised CB, we're going to need to score a heap load more goals next year then arnt we !

i am totally on bored with the clubs quest to promote and nurture young talent as i am with their plans to grow the clubs outside revenues, but it worries me greatly that were scratting around for a few hundred k profit to enable other signings.

The only thing to be said is that football is and has changed and now the Free/out of contract market is no longer a buriel ground for the past it and has beens but can carry several rich pickings.

I trust in Nige to go out there if required and stregthan the side, but thats not to say that im not concerened.

if Shaks does leave then i think the board will have to act pretty swiftly to appease us cos i for one am not impressed

otherwise that Big screen we're putting up better be showing some serious good Tv cos the football wont be worth paying for.

Whats 'horrific' about a 300-500k profit??

If you honestly think we will start the season without a recognised CB then your mad. I guarantee at least half of that money will be spent on a replacement, more than likely the amount spent on Shackell last year (approx 750k) to bring in a replacement.

The rest will go on a striker along with any money we get for S Davies.

Why is this such a bad thing??

course its a bad thing, to get promoted you need to build on whats already at the club. how the board can keep preaching about wanting promotion in one ear and then preaching about cutting wages etc in another is ludicrous.

course its a bad thing, to get promoted you need to build on whats already at the club. how the board can keep preaching about wanting promotion in one ear and then preaching about cutting wages etc in another is ludicrous.

Who's been preaching about cutting wages?

Selling to buy is different to cutting wages.

We clearly don't have the money to buy without selling as has been said by Clough. Shackell is probably going for more than his value. Next season he'll be 29 and id be very surprised if he plays another season without a single injury at his age. Were selling why his values at its highest because we believe we can replace him with a cheaper player and be able to improve our strike force.

Been reading through this thread most of the day only in the last couple of pages with all this talk of Shack being a judas have I decided to post something. He's not a judas. Footballers have a short career and need to look after their families, therefore if another club offers you a even £1k more over three years that's roughly another 70k after tax (I'm sure Ramblur will correct me). You telling me if another firm offered you a job on the same terms you'd turn them down because their offices had a nice canteen and included Worcester Sauce French Fries in the vending machine??? Would you F**K!!!

I think the majority of fans except why he's being sold but its just the, seemingly, small amount of profit we're annoyed about. 300-500k is hardly a "snap their hands off" kind of deal. I think people would be a lot more excepting if he went for around 2m. Especially as Matt Mills went for 5m.

As for a replacement, if Coventry turned down a 800k bid from Cardiff for Keogh what makes some think they'll except 350jk from us??? Laughable. So can anyone think of anyone else???

davenportram note the 'etc', im not just talking about this situation. im talking about for the last number of years. stedcfc, theres alot of ifs buts and maybes in your comment, shackell was one of our best players and weve sold him, progression? i think not

If we were a selling club Brayford, Hendrick and Ward would all be going too as we've had offers for them. To say he's our best player is a bit generous if Barker wasn't injured he probably wouldn't even be our best centre back. Until we spend the money we won't know if its progression but Cloughs record when spending money rather than scraping around for free transfers is very good.

If it'd been £2m I'd of seen the point.

Barker and Shackell. Not great differences between them. Similar age. Similar ability. Both were bought by Derby for approximate 900k.

That is how much that level of defender is worth.

With £2m we could easily replace Shackell and have money left to spend.

£1.1m. Be lucky to find a player of Barks and Shacks ability and anything left over.

What Nigel is having to do (god knows who's at fault) is break the team and try and make it with less resources

That sounds like a risky plan to me. The odds aren't good.

I'm worried because I must of seen a different OB to everyone else.

Yes, hes young. I get it. There's no guarantee he'll get better despite popular belief that every young player must be better to have than an experienced player (Idiakez gave us plenty of joy). But he's just not that good. He might get better with age, but that won't help when he can't do the job of Shackell the pensioner.

If we were a selling club Brayford, Hendrick and Ward would all be going too as we've had offers for them. To say he's our best player is a bit generous if Barker wasn't injured he probably wouldn't even be our best centre back. Until we spend the money we won't know if its progression but Cloughs record when spending money rather than scraping around for free transfers is very good.

Don't tempt fate (or give Appleby any ideas) the window is open until the end of August 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

What's annoyed me are the lies and deception comin out clough and glick. When it was season ticket renewal time there was nothing mentioned about selling our best players to raise funds. All that was said was we want to get a decent 20 goal striker and cover for left back. Which is what we all wanted to hear. Then it was, Shacks isn't forsale we want him to stay but every man has his price and if a silly offer comes in we'd b daft not to take it. Which we would all agree. But 1.1 mil is not a silly offer plus they stated that they had rejected a million

What offers are those may is ask? I not doubting you but I have never seen this before

This is Cloughs decision Glick hasn't been bombarding the telegraph for the past 2/3 weeks advertising the sale.

So ok Nige you dare to give us another ***** season, if we finish lower than last season please f off.

This season should be about moving forward and making a proper go at challenging for a top 6 spot,but you know best and if we achieve it well done if not please do the honourable thing

What offers are those may is ask? I not doubting you but I have never seen this before

http://www.derbycountyblog.com/guest-post-report-from-fan-forum-at-pride-park-2712/

Thats a report from somebody who went to the latest fans forum with Glick & co. It says that there has been interest in Hendrick and Brayford but we've said that they are the future of the club and are definitely not for sale.

There was some paper talk about interest in Ward which is why i mentioned him. But lets be honest if we really wanted to sell them I don't think we would struggle.

Archived