Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

If Shackell goes, will he receive a loyalty bonus because to my knowledge he hasn't actually submitted a written transfer request or expressed a desire to leave? Do Barnsley have any add-ons or clauses that may be triggered?

If the answer to either of those is yes, selling him for somewhere close to £1.5 million just doesn't seem to be a very lucrative option in my eyes.

Let's face it, it almost certainly won't be enough to improve the squad, progress on the pitch and compensate for the loss of several key players all at once. Richard Keogh in as a replacement? Laughable.

I can only assume there is genuine pressure from the board to plug losses by selling players and reducing the wage budget. It's quickly becoming apparent that they are reluctant to invest much more in getting us out of the Championship, that's for sure.

Perhaps they'll go out and sign Jordan Rhodes for several million and prove otherwise. But until then, this whole saga doesn't really inspire confidence in where we are going under this regime, especially with Glick, who has championed their whole philosophy of long-termism, loyalty and patience, soon to depart.

It's funny after finishing 12th last season, I was optimistic that with another summer of reasonable investment and keeping the nucleus of the side, finally Clough and the board would dispel the feeling that we'd never be equipped to get promoted under this regime. But the doubt is just going to linger.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny after finishing 12th last season, I was optimistic that with another summer of reasonable investment and keeping the nucleus of the side, finally Clough and the board would dispel the feeling that we'd never be equipped to get promoted under this regime. But the doubt is just going to linger.

Well said. It was looking at last like we had cleared the decks, got rid of the big earners and got the foundations of a young side who could continue to improve with the help of old heads like Shacks and Barks around the place and maybe adding one or two quality players.

Looks like we'll be lucky to stand still, yet we are so close to being in a position to press on.

From purely a footballing point of view the absence of Barks makes it all the more puzzling to let Shack go.

Another team actually putting decent money on the table for one of our players shows he is a good player. All the other centre halfs look decent when he is there, Buxton looked poor when with Barker yet he looks nearly steady when next to Shacks

Another team actually putting decent money on the table for one of our players shows he is a good player. All the other centre halfs look decent when he is there, Buxton looked poor when with Barker yet he looks nearly steady when next to Shacks

Strangely though (I may get banned for this...), from the very limited amount I saw them in person, Buxton actually looked the better defender of the two. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

What's annoying me is that last night everybody went crazy because "we had accepted an offer of £1.1m"' now this morning an official statement comes out saying there's been a bid but it's not been accepted. Chances are its not £1.1m seeing as wev already rejected £1.2 if the yanks are astute business men like we're led to believe why would they accept less?

Can we all calm down and stop going crazy because somebody on twitter who is in no way affiliated with club makes a silly statement

Only taken 36 pages for it to turn into the players fault 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

It's the stages of grieving;

Shock

Anger

Blame the board

Blame the manager

Blame the player

Players greedy and crap

We sign someone else

Everyone's over it......

The king is dead - long live the king.

What's annoying me is that last night everybody went crazy because "we had accepted an offer of £1.1m"' now this morning an official statement comes out saying there's been a bid but it's not been accepted. Chances are its not £1.1m seeing as wev already rejected £1.2 if the yanks are astute business men like we're led to believe why would they accept less?

Can we all calm down and stop going crazy because somebody on twitter who is in no way affiliated with club makes a silly statement

The bad thing is that the fee will be undisclosed and no matter what we actually receive the doom mongers will continue to say we sold him for £1.1million

I also think people should take a vow of silence on this until we know who the replacement is and who else we bring in with the surplus.

This has the potential to be a very very shrewd move and people should save their moaning until we see how the whole scenario pans out.

If it turns out to be a massive mistake THEN you're entitled to moan! In fact I'll be joining you

The bad thing is that the fee will be undisclosed and no matter what we actually receive the doom mongers will continue to say we sold him for £1.1million

Then why not disclose the fee, I cant think of any good reason not too ?

Every article iv seen today says the fee is reportedly £1.1m which was wuoted by John Percy on twitter last night whoever that dude is?!

The reason the deal will be disclosed is so that other teams don't know how much money we've received thus inflating transfer prices to us.

What I do is £1.1m does not fit in with the rejected bids of £1.2m and the club saying they haven't met our demands yet

Archived