Disgraceful Stewarding in Away End v Palace

therams69

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you are being filmed in public on CCTV, you have a right to demand to see any footage that you feel that you maybe on. There should be a name and contact number of the person who looks after the footage displayed publically for everyone to see.

fact.

You can ask, but by the sounds of what goes on in the away end, you'd get booted out just for having the audacity to ask in the first place.

It's akin to your private life being made public. In this case, you're out having a laugh with your mates and there's a judgemental camera pointed at you. Your behaviour is then studied and all sorts of differing accusations or points of view are then made. Some of them not very nice indeed. So regardless of what you think you're doing, somebody else thinks you're doing something else. Doesn't matter if you intend your behaviour to be good, someone else always has a different opinion.

Also, they point a camera at you, you point a camera at them and they get angry about it. It's hypocritical. They wonder why you're so pissed off about them effectively 'trespassing' into your private life, you turn it around and suddenly you're locked up having been well within your rights and not done anything to breach the peace.

Just having a good time, but be careful, don't enjoy yourself to much because somebody else doesn't like that.

Just be thankful you're not American. Heard the SuperBowl again had satellite surveillance all over the stadium, they'll be zooming in on that spot on your face from 45,000 km away. Don't like where this is going to be honest.

We're monitored in everything we do anyway - from using our mobiles, to when we use our credit cards (and what we buy in the first place) so why should a football stadium be any different? A police helicopter has cameras so powerful they can zoom in and see what you're reading.

Big brother's watching us all. If you've ever picked your nose at a match, they'll know about it. Safety & security is one thing but constant surveillance is ott.

It's akin to your private life being made public. In this case, you're out having a laugh with your mates and there's a judgemental camera pointed at you. Your behaviour is then studied and all sorts of differing accusations or points of view are then made. Some of them not very nice indeed. So regardless of what you think you're doing, somebody else thinks you're doing something else. Doesn't matter if you intend your behaviour to be good, someone else always has a different opinion.

We could probably debate CCTV in itself in a whole separate thread. Supermarkets and shops barely prosecute any shoplifters from CCTV but one thing for sure is that they study our consumer habits with the footage. I was mugged and beaten by 3 guys once, must have been caught on about 15 cameras, nothing came of it except me losing my clothes as evidence and the potential of being prosecuted for kicking a van in anger after it happened. Whole thing is a massive joke and is a violation of our most basic rights. They were debating (this went very far in USA) about putting tiny chips in currency so effectively if you drew money out of a cash machine they could see where you spent it and build up a profile of your habits. Counter terrorism ofcourse... Again, I don't like where this is going.

Palace fan here.

My son was arrested for damaging a seat. He says he didn't do it - he saw the broken seat a few places along from where he was, but a steward says he saw him do it. A the end of the match as they were leaving, he and his friends were charged at by a bunch of stewards as they were leaving peacefully and in the melee another of his friends was arrested. It was at this stage that the seat breaking accusation was made. Whilst i appreciate that breaking seats is wrong and that broken seats cost money, that's no excuse for accusing the wrong person!

If you agree that you saw overzealous stewarding, maybe you could voice your concerns to your owners. Here at Palace we've done that in the past with regard to the stewarding at out ground.

many thanks

All the best

Hi ERob, welcome to the forum.

If what you say is true - then you're absolutley right and there's no excuse for accusing the wrong person and in an aggressive way at that.

Have you put a complaint in to the club?

Palace fan here.

My son was arrested for damaging a seat. He says he didn't do it - he saw the broken seat a few places along from where he was, but a steward says he saw him do it. A the end of the match as they were leaving, he and his friends were charged at by a bunch of stewards as they were leaving peacefully and in the melee another of his friends was arrested. It was at this stage that the seat breaking accusation was made. Whilst i appreciate that breaking seats is wrong and that broken seats cost money, that's no excuse for accusing the wrong person!

If you agree that you saw overzealous stewarding, maybe you could voice your concerns to your owners. Here at Palace we've done that in the past with regard to the stewarding at out ground.

many thanks

All the best

Just remind him to hand his passport in to the local fuzz for the Euros and theres nothing more to worry about.

Jesting aside, I'm pretty disgusted, all the best for you and your son, hope this reflects on our stewards and not DCFC as a whole.

Im not sure what the fuss is about regarding the CCTV, its been part of football for many years, you dont have to look or think far why they do it, its not as though this is a new thing, and is there in principal for your own safety as well, IMO.

All football fans are criminals in the eyes of the police, the stewards, some quarters of the media and the general public's conscience.

I loathe being filmed first of all by the policeman with no mates with his camcorder - i'm not doing anything wrong so stop filming me, so to be filmed by a steward would be hard to take. I hate the massive amounts of CCTV in general everyday life so to have even more cameras aimed at you when you're doing the heinous act of following your football club on a Saturday afternoon, it irks me even more - I go to the match to get away from the dreary every day stuff and to escape - it's hard to do that when you're on camera.

I have to say in general, I think our stewards do a decent job - I don't really want them there, but aside from the one's who tell the same people in the SE corner to sit down every week, and their shutting of the South West staircase whenever a big away following comes to town in the "interests of safety" (which is nonsense given that it causes a huge crush in the concourses and it's only a matter of time before something bad cracks off in there), I find them alright - better than a lot of places.

On Saturday I got the impression they were spoiling for it - in these situations they are like that one ******** bouncer you encounter on a Friday night. The Palace fans were doing nothing wrong aside standing up in a seated area (the authorities views not mine) and backing their team passionately. The stewards seemed intent on getting them to sit, why I have no idea - how many grounds, stands and sections have been closed due to councils taking away safety certificates? That's just a feeble excuse from the little Hitler apologists. I couldn't tell if it was the Showsec one's or our own causing the fuss, but the former have previous for this kind of stuff (a quick google/youtube for "showsec disgrace" should prove that.

Hope Palace fans fight this all the way as Nick did at Blackpool (had to mention it!) and hope the innocent one's, i.e everyone who didn't smash a seat up get an apology from the club, the stewards directly at fault for ruining their day, and a full refund on their tickets. I won't hold my breath though.

Need I say more?

Haha,kind of didn't make sense there did I 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I mean, if I'm in a public place, minding my own business, nobody has a right to come spying on me. If I'm in your home or business, and you want to put CCTV up, that's your call. Your property, your right. But a football ground, although it might be privately owned, isn't really the same - it's more like a park or a bit of public ground, in that people come and go all the time.

Personally I object to that level of scrutiny - cameras watching your every move. The information age is in danger of monitoring and tracking your every move, so bear that in mind when you defend the watchmen - especially on the grounds that it's there for your benefit. I highly doubt it.

Archived