Disgraceful Stewarding in Away End v Palace

therams69

That is ridiculous.

However, previous hooliganism at football has meant that now the majority are being treated the same. So although the stewards are to blame the past examples of hooliganism are enough to warrant such, apparently.

Hope that steward that grabbing him by the throat got tw@ted because I sure know if that happened to me he would of bin down the stairs totally unreasonable force

I do find this reaction surely part of the problem? If this kind of reaction was deterred against in the first place then stewards wouldn't have the stereotype they currently look for. You honestly think that would help?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is ridiculous.

However, previous hooliganism at football has meant that now the majority are being treated the same. So although the stewards are to blame the past examples of hooliganism are enough to warrant such, apparently.

I do find this reaction surely part of the problem? If this kind of reaction was deterred against in the first place then stewards wouldn't have the stereotype they currently look for. You honestly think that would help?

Violence from fans in relaliation wouldn't help anyone, least of all the fan.

But does a fan have the right to defend themselves if they're on the receiving end of unwarranted, physical contact like that? Surely they do?

Does anyone know?

That is ridiculous.

Bullies are bullies whether they are attending a match as a fan or working there. He wouldn't have done it in the Stoke crowd so why do it against Palace?

Like I say, if there was a specific incident that warranted such an act then lets have a statement to that effect.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but there was a **** load of explosive sounds (balloons) on the radio after the game. Went on for ages, what was cracking off in there?

Loud noises will annoy anybody, specially a hot headed orange or yellow coated person.

That could have been balloons popping B&W - the palace fans had a few and I thought they looked great. There are reports on the Palace forum of a 9 year old getting their collar felt by steward/police for kicking a said balloon towards one of them.

My goodness, what a major cause for concern that is!! It's a balloon for gods sake, hardly a weapon of mass destruction. They should work in the school where I work!

But if loud noises are going to annoy stewards, then I suggest they look for another job.

That could have been balloons popping B&W - the palace fans had a few and I thought they looked great. There are reports on the Palace forum of a 9 year old getting their collar felt by steward/police for kicking a said balloon towards one of them.

My goodness, what a major cause for concern that is!! It's a balloon for gods sake, hardly a weapon of mass destruction. They should work in the school where I work!

But if loud noises are going to annoy stewards, then I suggest they look for another job.

Yeah, I'm not trying to make excuses for them. Have seen some of the photo's of big burly blokes man handling young lads. Just trying to understand the sense in stewards behaviour these days.

It's not just stewards though, police do it as well. Remember when there was all those student protest/riots happening a couple of years a go, there was a documentary or program about people involved and an interview with one of the front line police officers that was trying to hold back the student protests. He said he loved the fact he was at the front line and got to get a little bit physical with them. There was nobody in particular he was directing his anger at, it was just a huge battle and he was having fun. The more physical/aggressive the better it was for him. They showed a bit of footage of him asking the students to "come on then, come on lets have it" swinging punches randomly, at anyone, and they were just youngsters in a protest. None of them were causing the trouble, they were all looting elsewhere. If anything, he was the cause of the trouble.

In a robust situation, I'd understand balloons popping to be intimidating but it seems Palace fans were just enjoying a day out in the sun at the football.

This country has well and truly got it's priorites screwed up. The people kicking off get away with it and the people enjoying themselves suffer the consequences. I said earlier somewhere Derby County is contradictive, but it's not just them it's the whole flipping country.

Anyway, I've gone on a rant. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

That's all they were doing isn't it? Enjoying the day despite the score line.

This could affect how many away fans visit PP - I wouldn't like to go in there and be treated like that. Plus, I have a 7 year old who likes to kick a balloon every now and then. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

I really hope that Palace fans get this sorted out quickly and successfully and if the stewards are found guilty of assault which going by them appalling pictures they should be, they need booting out of the club and prosecuting.

DCFC shouldn't be known for this kind of wrong doing.

That's all they were doing isn't it? Enjoying the day despite the score line.

This could affect how many away fans visit PP - I wouldn't like to go in there and be treated like that. Plus, I have a 7 year old who likes to kick a balloon every now and then. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

I really hope that Palace fans get this sorted out quickly and successfully and if the stewards are found guilty of assault which going by them appalling pictures they should be, they need booting out of the club and prosecuting.

DCFC shouldn't be known for this kind of wrong doing.

Totally agree, it's a much bigger issue than DCFC though. Hope it all gets sorted out, all over't country. Makes me sad to think we and especially the younger generation can't enjoy the football like our relatives (or in the case of some, fans on here from the 70's) did.

Palace fan here.

Firstly would just like to say had a great weekend up your place . There was no hint of any trouble the whole weekend,we mixed freely with your fans before and after the game ,and you lot were great .The only downside was the stewardship at our end , believe me it was truly shocking . I witnessed a family of 4 with two small ones being pushed towards one of the exits at the end of the game,why I don't know ..The two kids were about 6 and 7 one of them fell and resulted in him crying his eyes out .

Why we were subjected to this is above me,as I believe we have some of the best behaved fans in the country.

It wont stop me attending next year but not sure about the family in question.

It was such a shame as you have a great city with great pubs and extremely welcoming fans .

So good luck with the rest of the season, and hope the stewardship is sorted by then . Hopefully it will as one of our owners was in our end so should carry some clout,and we have lots of video evidence .

I honestly think the club need to be transparent about this and be seen to act and for that reason I hope the cpfc fans (and maybe a few of us lot) make this visible in media and other outlets. The club made a big thing about coming out with an apology after the Doughty issue and rightly so, describing it as poor behaviour by a minority of their fans and saying the actions of a few had harmed the reputation of the majority. Most reasonable people accepted that it was hard for the club to control this minority and they had done the right thing in being vocal about it and seemingly trying to identify the idiots.

Well this is the same, the difference being with this one they are employed by the club and so no excuses, they need to get after this and make it visible that they are investigating this thoroughly and that action will be taken..

It's great to see that on the whole, visiting away fans can enjoy time spent in Derby - but it's bad that things went so wrong.

I hope what your owner witnessed can go to help those affected by Saturday's events and that it doesn't spoil a return visit to PP - (although I for one would fully understand if this wasn't the case, especially for that family and others). I could hear your fans singing the whole time, good on ya's.

Good luck with the remainder of the season - and hope to see you all back at PP next season.

It's great to see that on the whole, visiting away fans can enjoy time spent in Derby - but it's bad that things went so wrong.

I hope what your owner witnessed can go to help those affected by Saturday's events and that it doesn't spoil a return visit to PP - (although I for one would fully understand if this wasn't the case, especially for that family and others). I could hear your fans singing the whole time, good on ya's.

Good luck with the remainder of the season - and hope to see you all back at PP next season.

Here is one of the quotes from the owner in question on our bbs forum .

I will forward the original post to Derby's chief executive and ask him to discuss it with his chief steward. I don't get to sit in the away end that often these days but I did yesterday and was very disappointed by the treatment of our fans.

I would sincerely hope that away fans at Selhurst do not have to put up with such aggressive stewarding.

[size=2]​[size=4]The worse stewards were those in dark green not sure of the significance of the different colours as the ones in yellow seemed on the whole really pleasant .[/size][/size]

Ah! It's the first time I heard away fans singing in the Brunny.

Obviously spoiling for a fight with the real ale lads 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Seriously though, all seemed fine? I did see a battle bus flying towards PP though at about 5.20

Lovely ale in the brunswick.

We posted a list of real ale pubs on a thread in the lead up to the match. My bet is most hoster a few palace supporters that day.

Sounded like a lovely day..... wish I could have been there, this 3 quid's weighing heavy in me pocket now... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

Here is one of the quotes from the owner in question on our bbs forum .

I will forward the original post to Derby's chief executive and ask him to discuss it with his chief steward. I don't get to sit in the away end that often these days but I did yesterday and was very disappointed by the treatment of our fans.

I would sincerely hope that away fans at Selhurst do not have to put up with such aggressive stewarding.

[size=2]​[size=4]The worse stewards were those in dark green not sure of the significance of the different colours as the ones in yellow seemed on the whole really pleasant .[/size][/size]

Mmmm, it's sad to say but your owner was in the right place at the right time and would have been shocked at what he saw.

I hope he can get to the bottom of it and stop it from happening again.

Having read through this I am stunned at the behaviour of our stewards, and I cannot believe that these tactics where used againest CPFC. Everytime their fans have come here there has been virtually zero issues, and like previously said, both sets of fans where mingling outside the ground.

Not wanting to stereo type clubs, I would not be surprised if these tactics where used for leeds, Millwall, or forest. But againest Palace, that just smacks of too much time, too much power and the deluded sense of they can bully people.

It disgusts me that a small amount of people, and this goes for supporters as well, think they are above the law, or there is a different set of rules once you are at a football match.

So on behalf of the Rams Fans i know, I am sorry that a few idiots employed by us ruined a great day out, and i hope the club responds to this quickly.

Thank you all for your comments - this is the most civilized football club forum I've ever visited!

There is a feeling amongst some this end that maybe your club were fed some false "intelligence" about our fans and a stronger than usual stewarding approach was adopted as a result.

Archived