Well, there ain't going to be any money to spend then (surprised?)

p.shilton

Good championship players are 'superstars' in the SPL, Gary Hooper scored 1 in 1.86 games for Ssausagehorpe in a combination between league 1 and championship games, and for Celtic he's scored 1 in 1.52. So unless youre willing to spend the likes of £3-4 million to bring the likes of Hooper back, you may as well just spend amount like £2million to get someone like Billy Sharp, at your club

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good championship players are 'superstars' in the SPL, Gary Hooper scored 1 in 1.86 games for Ssausagehorpe in a combination between league 1 and championship games, and for Celtic he's scored 1 in 1.52. So unless youre willing to spend the likes of £3-4 million to bring the likes of Hooper back, you may as well just spend amount like £2million to get someone like Billy Sharp, at your club

I guess we don't have that sort of money though, 2million. 4million.... doubt we'll spend a million on anyone this summer, so nothing wrong with trawling the isles to find the best for our money.

They're obviously going to be gambles but when you've got our budget you have to make gambles, no 5million pound player is coming to come for 250k and on less than half the wages he is used too!

You're*.

The main guy is the left back though, right? Paul Dixon. Why are you all conveniently ignoring the guy? He's the guy in the picture.

[url=http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/st-johnstone-1-dundee-united-5-paul-dixon-delivers-again-as-assist-king-gets-three-out-of-five-for-creativity.167]http://www.heraldsco...-creativity.167

Very nice report on the guy from last month.

n attacking midfielder, perhaps? A trequartista type? Maybe a winger? Wrong, wrong and wrong again. The player whose contributions have created the highest number of converted chances this campaign is a full-back.

With a glorious hat trick of devilish deliveries against St Johnstone on Saturday, Paul Dixon moved ahead of Rangers' Steven Davis at the summit of that particular league table, his 11 assists comprising almost a third of Dundee United's league goals this term. Consider another handful in assorted cup contests and a picture emerges of a player enjoying a season of such accomplishment that Peter Houston, his manager, was moved to describe him as the best left-back in the country.

While his status as part of one of the division's more porous defences could be deployed to offer a stout rebuttal of that assertion, Dixon's attacking abilities cannot be queried. A doughty and tireless competitor down the left, the 25-year-old might lack the raw pace to burst beyond opponents or the trickery to dupe a marker, but his technique is such that he can whip crosses around players and into the path of Jon Daly and Johnny Russell; both took advantage of that with goals on Saturday.

"It's a great feeling knowing those crosses are coming to an end product, but I know if I put the ball into the box those two will be there," said Dixon, shrugging off any praise in his typically unfussy manner. "They are probably among the best headers of a ball in the country and having guys like that makes my job easier because we are on the same wavelength."

Such telepathy will be disturbed on Saturday, a stoppage-time booking causing Dixon to incur a one-game suspension for the visit of St Mirren. His absence will also offer United an insight into next season, given that the defender has privately made it clear to the club he has no intention of extending a contract that expires in the summer. With the likes of Millwall already credited with an interest, and clubs on the continent also keeping tabs on him, Dixon is unlikely to be short of suitors, should he maintain the performances that have helped revive a frustrating campaign for Houston's side.

Inconsistency, of both form and selection, plagued a recast and inexperienced United team in the opening months of the season, but this victory has moved them to within six points of fourth place, with a game in hand. With visits from both St Mirren and Kilmarnock to come in the next week or so, and a Scottish Cup quarter-final to look forward to, there is a sense that the club's traditional spring spurt could lead to a successful term. "We seem to have the knack of peaking at the right time of the season and hopefully we're doing it again," Dixon said. "Getting third is possible if we can put a run of games together."

St Johnstone, however, appear to be going in the other direction. Steve Lomas' side were abject on Saturday, the horrible individual errors which caused such a hefty defeat also masking a lack of creativity and spark. Although still fifth in the division, a campaign that promised so much at Christmas could effectively be over as early as tomorrow evening, when Hearts visit in a Scottish Cup replay. "It has not been an impressive season yet," insisted defender Steven Anderson. "You can't say it has until the summer and we've actually achieved something. If we're in a cup final and in the top six then it has, but we've done nothing yet."

If the other two players, Jon Daly and Johnny Russell are also being looked at, I would assume it's to put pressure on Savies and Ball knowing that this Dixon links up well with them.

This all seems bit unfair to me. There's good or at least potential players everywhere, even in Scotland and like someone said, Ireland too. Nothing wrong to do some scouting, I think.

I agree, but I think people are just frustrated that Britain is the furthest the club go on scouting trips. Asks the question, do we have the funds/ability to seek talent abroad?

I agree, but I think people are just frustrated that Britain is the furthest the club go on scouting trips. Asks the question, do we have the funds/ability to seek talent abroad?

That's s good question for Nigel. Doubt scouting is restricted to Scotland and Scotland only. I assume it's part of funds, part of Nigel way of thinking how football should be played. (and of course stubbornness to admit you could do it differently)

It's probably easier for a player to adapt to a new town/city in Britain if they are from Britain. Look at Alberto Bueno, was loving his holiday in England when it was sunny and we were winning games. Then it got cold, we were losing and he wasn't performing anywhere near his best.

I suppose it's safer. But this is the championship, there should be an abundance of players available to play in this league from England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. No reason why we should be trawling France, Spain, Germany, Italy or Saudi Arabia if the players are already on our island.

Start with the midlands, then broaden the search area. I remember Clough mentioning at the start of his tenure he would prefer local talent. Not sure if he meant around the midlands or just Britain as a whole.

[url=http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/AcademyNews/0,,10270%7E1641129,00.html]http://www.dcfc.co.u...1641129,00.html

Michael Forsyth and Darren Wassall are back with Derby County after being appointed to the Academy coaching staff.

The pair, who have a rich history and knowledge of football in the region, will start work immediately, with Nigel Clough looking to throw the emphasis on attracting the best talent in Derbyshire.

The Rams manager is hoping to herald in a new era for the Academy.

Nigel Clough said: "Michael and Darren are two great people with a tremendous knowledge of football in the region and a passion for Derby County.

[url=http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/AcademyNews/0,,10270%7E1641129,00.html#continue]Article continues

[url=http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270%7E1838883,00.html]http://www.dcfc.co.u...1838883,00.html

Derby County's Academy will continue their search for fresh local talent on Wednesday evening.

The University of Derby will be hosting trials for age groups from 5 right through to 16 and Academy Manager Darren Wassall, along with other key members of the Academy, will be in attendance.

The evening is split into two sessions, first will be the trials for 5-11 years followed by the 11-16 trials, the later of which is completely full up.

[url=http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270%7E1838883,00.html#continue]Article continues

BTW, I know these articles discuss the east midlands but you're not going to look much further than that if you feel that talent in and around the area of Derbyshire can provide a decent player or two.

We all know he's focused on youth, a few from outside of the midlands are going to be neccesary to a squad lacking experience. Particularly after we got rid of those with bad attitudes and not commited to DCFC.

It's probably easier for a player to adapt to a new town/city in Britain if they are from Britain. Look at Alberto Bueno, was loving his holiday in England when it was sunny and we were winning games. Then it got cold, we were losing and he wasn't performing anywhere near his best.

I suppose it's safer. But this is the championship, there should be an abundance of players available to play in this league from England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. No reason why we should be trawling France, Spain, Germany, Italy or Saudi Arabia if the players are already on our island.

Start with the midlands, then broaden the search area. I remember Clough mentioning at the start of his tenure he would prefer local talent. Not sure if he meant around the midlands or just Britain as a whole.

We have signed Porter, Bryson and Maguire from Scotland. Only one has so far worked out. We only got Bueno on loan and to be fair the 'cold weather' excuse for his dip in form I think is a bit insultive to the lad. Could more than likely be due to change in mentality to a 'work hard and grind out results' style that we adopted after a few bad results in November that went on to become a big winless streak.

Also I just think that we shouldn't be restricted in our scouting. Not that a player needs to be from abroad just that I want to have confidence that we have looked about and decided that the player we get is the best we could afford. Not that whoever we sign was the best we could afford from a small pool of teams. I don't know our scouting network, maybe we have a large network of contacts and a great scouting network and they're all saying that there's nothing outside of Scotland that is better than what we currently have at Derby (although if that is the case then god help the people who watch football in those countries) or maybe we just aren't looking because we want honest players and we have a stereotypical view at the club that foreigners don't work hard and don't like winter.

I'm pleased the scouting is resricted to Britain to be honest, there's the same amount of leagues in this country since all the foreign imports but an abundance of foreign players.

British football has ignored it's British players for to long, about time some focus was shifted back.

I'm pleased the scouting is resricted to Britain to be honest, there's the same amount of leagues in this country since all the foreign imports but an abundance of foreign players.

British football has ignored it's British players for to long, about time some focus was shifted back.

That's because British footballers have either been over valued or aren't good enough. Scouting Britain just to have a British team isn't a good idea. The idea is to get the best team possible. If people want that to consist of more British players then the way we bring youth through in this country needs to change and academy's need to improve. Why have a worse team just because it's British? That's all a bit too much "foreigners coming over here taking our jobs" nonsense for my liking. If a person is the best person for the job then they should do the job regardless of where they were born.

That's because British footballers have either been over valued or aren't good enough. Scouting Britain just to have a British team isn't a good idea. The idea is to get the best team possible. If people want that to consist of more British players then the way we bring youth through in this country needs to change and academy's need to improve. Why have a worse team just because it's British? That's all a bit too much "foreigners coming over here taking our jobs" nonsense for my liking. If a person is the best person for the job then they should do the job regardless of where they were born.

I agree with all your statements, which is what I'm getting at really. I feel that British talent is being ignored at youth level in substitute of so called better foreign imports.

I'm not the kind of guy that makes comments of 'they took our jobs, derp' but to ignore talent in and around the midlands or Brtain as a whole would be a mistake. They're home here or at least speak the language and understand the banter that comes with it.

Also, I'd be happy to see foreigners coming over here if I thought their home countries were paying British people the same respect, but they aren't.

If the talent was in the midlands and Britain and those players didn't have another million shoved on their price tag just because they're English, then I think everyone would be up for signing them.

The point is why limit the scouting to just there? Why only scout local and Scotland? Scout everywhere you can and if the best talent or even talent of the same level is local then go for local, otherwise get in the other guy who's better.

If the talent was in the midlands and Britain and those players didn't have another million shoved on their price tag just because they're English, then I think everyone would be up for signing them.

The point is why limit the scouting to just there? Why only scout local and Scotland? Scout everywhere you can and if the best talent or even talent of the same level is local then go for local, otherwise get in the other guy who's better.

Yeah, good point on value for English players. Not really value for money. Anybody who comes over here has their price inflated though. Was it £35mill for Shevchenko? £50mill for Torres. Just a couple of extreme examples. The days of a cheap foreign import are gone, imo. If that does indeed change, and all prices sort of level out with each other, British prices drop or Euro prices rise.

I think our scout network is working, though. We're working from the youth upwards, creating a DCFC mentality that we've been lacking for years and years. The players Clough beings in are indeed British and have that understanding already implemented. Just a work in progress, there's more to it than where a player is from though. They've got to have that mentality Clough wants.

Plus, like someone said, probably haven't got the funds/staff available for euro excursions.

Archived