Well, there ain't going to be any money to spend then (surprised?)

p.shilton

We have signed Porter, Bryson and Maguire from Scotland. Only one has so far worked out. We only got Bueno on loan and to be fair the 'cold weather' excuse for his dip in form I think is a bit insultive to the lad. Could more than likely be due to change in mentality to a 'work hard and grind out results' style that we adopted after a few bad results in November that went on to become a big winless streak.

Also I just think that we shouldn't be restricted in our scouting. Not that a player needs to be from abroad just that I want to have confidence that we have looked about and decided that the player we get is the best we could afford. Not that whoever we sign was the best we could afford from a small pool of teams. I don't know our scouting network, maybe we have a large network of contacts and a great scouting network and they're all saying that there's nothing outside of Scotland that is better than what we currently have at Derby (although if that is the case then god help the people who watch football in those countries) or maybe we just aren't looking because we want honest players and we have a stereotypical view at the club that foreigners don't work hard and don't like winter.

Agree with all this, but you forgot about Anderson. How could you?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly 20 YEARS ago, we purchased Marco Gabbiadini and Paul Kitson for a combined fee of £2.2 million. We were in the second division at the time, and were owned by a Derby County supporter who happened to have quite a lot of money - Lionel Pickering.

Whether or not it was money wisely invested is immaterial. Lionel reasoned that to speculate is to accumulate.

Fast forward to the present time.

Our current owner(s)/investors are also similarly wealthy, if not more so.

The similarity ends there - they are from the USA, where football, or soccer as they prefer to call it, is a minority sport. They can get away with providing next to nothing in the way of investment in the playing staff, by citing the current economical difficulties both in football and in general.

I would like to know if readers of the forum agree with my conclusions to the following questions:

Why did Adam Pearson saddle us with GSE in the first place?

Why do GSE show no signs of providing Clough with the necessary investment in players to enable us to move out of bottom half mediocrity?

Answers: THEY DID NOT AND DO NOT CARE!

£2.2 million? - we can hardly afford to pay £2.2k these days.

It really is a very sad state of affairs.

Archived