10 questions for Clough

armchairram

First time poster (been a lurker for a while), admittedly watching on sky and just had to get a few complaints off my chest...

1 - Why do we only have one recognised/accomplished left back?

2 - Why do we only have one recognised/accomplished right back? (Green is a centre mid as you all know.

3 - Why have you not signed a recognised goalscorer now Hulse has gone (and to a lesser degree Commons where goals were a bonus)? By 'recognised' I am thinking 15 goals a season plus at the level your playing (or less in the prem where you would score more dropping down). If we signed a lower league striker who scored goals at that level but didnt make the grade at least that would be 'taking a punt.' Tyson for example hasnt scored 10 (league) goals in a season since his Wycombe days....

4 - Why do you not like Attacking Centre Midfielders? All our centre midfielders are similar and we miss an Idiakez type player. Not saying he is Idiakez but Danns for Leicester bursting forward and getting shots off made me think 'when does one of our centre mids do that?"

5 - Why do you not invest in wide players (Defenders and midfielders). We only have Ben Davies (who never plays anymore), Jamie Ward (who is really a forward), Roberts and Brayford.

6 - Why do you like playing 3/4 Centre Midfielders across the midfield? No 6 may explain this.

7 - Stealing an idea from another poster earlier but why when a player goes on loan from Derby (loaned by Clough) do they never play again? (I may have missed someone bar Croft - prepared to be corrected!)

8 - Why do you not give players at least 5 games (not including 5 minute sub appearances) before discarding?

9 - Why dont you have an assistant manager? Someone to bounce ideas off and tell you when you have lost the plot (not just saying this about Clough!).

10 - General team selections that are crazy - Picking Leacock at right back (to play against whippet Tyson) when Brayford was at Centre back against Forest. Did Leacock ever play again? (when he is not a right back so it was Cloughs fault not his!)

Hopefully my rant will be upstaged by a Derby comeback and I will have egg on my face!

Back to the game

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite expensive to have 2 and Roberts has done ok this season. I'll bring in a loan if I need to, like when I had Kilbane

2 - Why do we only have one recognised/accomplished right back? (Green is a centre mid as you all know.

Quite expensive to have 2 and Brayford has done ok this season. I'll bring in a loan if I need to, like now maybe as Brayford will be a out for a few weeks

3 - Why have you not signed a recognised goalscorer now Hulse has gone (and to a lesser degree Commons where goals were a bonus)? By 'recognised' I am thinking 15 goals a season plus at the level your playing (or less in the prem where you would score more dropping down). If we signed a lower league striker who scored goals at that level but didnt make the grade at least that would be 'taking a punt.' Tyson for example hasnt scored 10 (league) goals in a season since his Wycombe days....

Expensive. We are getting one this Summer though

4 - Why do you not like Attacking Centre Midfielders? All our centre midfielders are similar and we miss an Idiakez type player. Not saying he is Idiakez but Danns for Leicester bursting forward and getting shots off made me think 'when does one of our centre mids do that?"

I'd say Danns is like our CMs, just better. I keep looking for the creative one but they hard to find unless we spend loads. Word

5 - Why do you not invest in wide players (Defenders and midfielders). We only have Ben Davies (who never plays anymore), Jamie Ward (who is really a forward), Roberts and Brayford.

I like my team to be solid and tight-out good two spells this season didn't need wide men really.

6 - Why do you like playing 3/4 Centre Midfielders across the midfield? No 6 may explain this.

It did, girlfriend

7 - Stealing an idea from another poster earlier but why when a player goes on loan from Derby (loaned by Clough) do they never play again? (I may have missed someone bar Croft - prepared to be corrected!)

I usually loan out players who aren't good enough for Derby who I can't sell either, or youngsters for experience

8 - Why do you not give players at least 5 games (not including 5 minute sub appearances) before discarding?

I see them in training every day, you don't innit

9 - Why dont you have an assistant manager? Someone to bounce ideas off and tell you when you have lost the plot (not just saying this about Clough!).

Do you think my coaching staff never question anything I do, but if I made one of them 'assistant manager' they would suddenly come out with loads of great ideas that they were too shy to tell me before? Behave

10 - General team selections that are crazy - Picking Leacock at right back (to play against whippet Tyson) when Brayford was at Centre back against Forest. Did Leacock ever play again? (when he is not a right back so it was Cloughs fault not his!)

That was a mistake. Recognise. Leacock gave up ages ago. I see him in training. Do you think if he was giving 100% every day he wouldn't be playing?

Hopefully my rant will be upstaged by a Derby comeback and I will have egg on my face!

Nah, but we've got a much nicer run of games coming up once we get the Brum away and Blackpool at home match out the way. Rather than write loads of "I've fallen out of love with Derby" and "Let's Protest" posts when we end up losing these 2 games, start counting how many points we will get vs Watford (H), Forest (H), Doncaster (A), Brighton (A), Palace (H), Bristol (A), Ipswich (H). I'm hoping for 5 wins from that lot.

Thanks for your support

Yours in football

Nige x

We got enough money to take the team to Madrid for a team bonding in the morning, mind u maybe NC is hoping they learn something at the game.

Waste of time and cash. We'll play the same dross way at Birmingham in 10 days. It's alright getting a good team morale but if your players can't succesfully pass 5 yards a few times a game your pissing in the wind.

We got enough money to take the team to Madrid for a team bonding in the morning, mind u maybe NC is hoping they learn something at the game.

I would have though that it will not cost £1 million upwards plus 10 grand a week for three years to fly the team to Spain. Could be considered relatively cheap compared. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

So should we be happy with dross then , as long as we're keeping the purse strings tight?

Prefer to have our 'dross' and be where we are, would you want to swap with Portsmouth, forest, Donny or Cov?

We have to generate money to buy players, the more money we generate, the better players we can afford. So if you don't want to put up with 'dross', if you haven't already, buy a season ticket, or tickets to games, and/or merchandise, buy food inside the ground, buy the programme, get other people to do the same and support your club!

We are spending (there or there abouts) what we are earning, just like any sensible business, family or individual would. I want a Lambo, but I cannot afford one, so I put up with my 'dross' Focus, because I can afford that and it gets the job done, and doesn't cost a fortune on running costs.

Because he's probably been told we can't afford one unless we sell somebody. So actually, is this a question for the owners?

2 - Why do we only have one recognised/accomplished right back? (Green is a centre mid as you all know)

See above

See above

I'd argue that Bryson is more attacking, in terms of getting up and down the pitch, than Idiakez was. Not as good, but that wasn't your question. He's also brought Carroll in who looks more offensive than defensive.

And Tyson. But as with the first two questions, it's probably not his decision on investing.

Very good question. Drives me crackers.

That's the same with alot of clubs - not sure we are too different in that respect. Also players went out on loan and never returned before Clough's time - I think that's just the way things work out, is it not?

Half the people on this forum moaned for giving Pearson, Roberts etc way too much time. So who are you referring to? I suspect there's lots of reasons that we don't see - attitude in training, being disruptive, poor fitness. We all like to think that Maguire would have made all the difference last night, but if he's not putting effort in during training, or has a bad attitude, why should he be picked? I'm not saying that's why but it could be. I don't know - the same as you don't know.

He bounces ideas of Metgod and Garner - do you have to be titled 'Assistant' to have ideas bounced off you?

Brayford played at centre half a few times last season, and was absolutely outstanding - I don't remember many people moaning away at Ipswich when he was the best player on the pitch, in centre half. People just remember forest. With regard to him never playing for us again, it could be, as mentioned above, for a raft of reasons. As things turned out we now have Barker and Shackell, and Leacock has ended up at Leyton Orient, so I'd say him leaving is pretty well justified.

For 10 we were on a losing run and something needed to be changed, and with Tyson and Leacock and the corner flag, he thought it would be good to have a fired up Leacock marking Tyson, also Brayford is quicker than Leacock and they had Earnshaw and Tudgay upfront, not the tallest of strikers, so it was a gamble that didn't pay off as Leacock got booked in the first 10 mins (as did Moxey) and neither of them could then make any challenges on the wide men.

Thanks for all the replies to my questions/rant!

Looking at it in a simpler way I guess the question is have we made any progress in the past three years? Some credit can be given for cutting the wage bill but beyond this on the pitch? I would say the 1st choice back four has improved a lot but my pet hate, the lack of full back cover remains (and no relying on loans is not good enough, where is the loan now Brayford is injured/Green is not a right back). Otherwise I see no improvement in attack or midfield but the fact that there are some promising youngsters (Bennett/Hendrick etc) is a positive.

And the football is pretty dire bar the odd game/spell but it was equally dire, perhaps worse when he came.

As a blinkered clough hater I am interested to see if others see it differently!?

Archived